13 posts in this topic

We're in the process of our AOS right now, but I wanted to bring my parents here in the US someday. My question is when can I petition them, once I get my 10-year GC or once I become a USC?

If I need to petition them once I become a USC, can I apply for USC as soon as I get my 10-year GC?

Thanks for anyone who would answer my question.

Feb 07 - met my Dream Guy

Jun 08 - arrived in the US

Jul 08 - ♥♥♥ WEDDING DAY ♥♥♥

Jul 09 - Temp GC received

Mar 12 - 10 yr GC received

Aug 13 - Naturalized

An LPR who has been married to a US citizen for 3 years can become a US citizen.

And you need to be a citizen to file petitions for your parents.

Immigration Process (DCF Japan)

08/06/2008 I-130 petition at Tokyo, Japan

08/13/2008 I-130 approved

|

| Waited until we were ready to move back

|

07/13/2009 IV interview at Tokyo, Japan

07/15/2009 IV(IR-1) in hand

Post-DCF

07/29/2009 POE at Las Vegas

08/17/2009 GC(10yrs) received

Click here for the detailed timeline.

Done with USCIS until

- naturalization in May 2012 or

- GC replacement in February 2019

CXmLm7.png

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
An LPR who has been married to a US citizen for 3 years can become a US citizen.

:thumbs:

It's not just not being "an LPR who has been married to a US citizen for 3 years . . . ." The person must also have been an LPR for at least 3 years. I am adding this so those who have been married for 3 years but just got their green card don't get false hope that they can be US citizens right away.

It's not just not being "an LPR who has been married to a US citizen for 3 years . . . ." The person must also have been an LPR for at least 3 years. I am adding this so those who have been married for 3 years but just got their green card don't get false hope that they can be US citizens right away.

Oh...I'm married to a USC. So, if I get my greencard (2-year conditional) this year, I can apply for US citizenship 3 years from now or I need to get the 10-year GC then after 3 years I can apply for US citizenship?

Aug 13 - Naturalized

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Oh...I'm married to a USC. So, if I get my greencard (2-year conditional) this year, I can apply for US citizenship 3 years from now or I need to get the 10-year GC then after 3 years I can apply for US citizenship?

You have to be an LPR for 3 years and by that time you should have your 10 year card .... after 3 years, you can petition your parents. Another question which you should ask and I don't know is once you've submitted the initial application for your parents, how long does it take to get them a visa. Ya know, applying and getting a visa is 2 different things.

Does anyone know about applying for brothers and sisters?

I know I need to be a USC, I know my brother/sister has to be single/unmarried,

but is there an age limit?

If brother/sister is over 21, does it matter?

And, how long does it take once petitioned for sister/brother to get a visa?

I'm actually not planning on petitioning anyone, I'm just curious.

Thanks.

Timeline

You have to be an LPR for 3 years and by that time you should have your 10 year card .... after 3 years, you can petition your parents. Another question which you should ask and I don't know is once you've submitted the initial application for your parents, how long does it take to get them a visa. Ya know, applying and getting a visa is 2 different things.

Does anyone know about applying for brothers and sisters?

I know I need to be a USC, I know my brother/sister has to be single/unmarried,

but is there an age limit?

If brother/sister is over 21, does it matter?

And, how long does it take once petitioned for sister/brother to get a visa?

I'm actually not planning on petitioning anyone, I'm just curious.

Thanks.

Only a USC 21 years or older can file an I-130 petition for a brother or sister. It doesn't matter if the sibling is single or married, and age is irrelevant. The petition will be in the F4 family preference category. The beneficiary sibling can bring his/her spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age (at the time they immigrate) with him/her when he/she immigrates to the US. Beneficiaries from most countries have to wait 11 years for visas, Mexican beneficiaries have to wait 14 years and Filipinos have to wait 23 years.

Timeline

It's 3 years of being an LPR. For most people it is 2 years with the conditional card and 1 year after getting the 10 years card.

It's 3 years of being an LPR. For most people it is 2 years with the conditional card and 1 year after getting the 10 years card.

Thanks for clearing it up. My other question, how long the process would take, from my petition to getting the visa for my parents whom I'll be petitioning?

Aug 13 - Naturalized

Timeline

Thanks for clearing it up. My other question, how long the process would take, from my petition to getting the visa for my parents whom I'll be petitioning?

Petitioning for your parents could take a year. To gain US citizenship, you will have to take a citizenship test. That process can take a year or more depending on whether you pass the test or not. You should set reasonable expectations for your parents. The fastest time would be 5 years from the day you get your conditional GC for them to get their visas. It could be longer.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It can be done in less than 5 years:

May 2005 - Filed for AOS

Nov 2005 - Received 2 year Greencard

Aug 2007 - Applied to remove conditions

Apr 2008 - Received 10 year Greencard

Aug 2008 - Applied for Citizenship

Mar 2009 - Citizenship Approved/Oath Ceremony

Mar 2009 - Applied for Both Parents (I-130)

Mar 2009 - I-130's Approved

Apr 2009 - I-130's at NVC

May 2009 - Case Complete at NVC

July 2009 - Parents Interview in London

July/Aug - Parents enter USA.

It can be done in 4 years.

Timeline
It can be done in less than 5 years:

May 2005 - Filed for AOS

Nov 2005 - Received 2 year Greencard

Aug 2007 - Applied to remove conditions

Apr 2008 - Received 10 year Greencard

Aug 2008 - Applied for Citizenship

Mar 2009 - Citizenship Approved/Oath Ceremony

Mar 2009 - Applied for Both Parents (I-130)

Mar 2009 - I-130's Approved

Apr 2009 - I-130's at NVC

May 2009 - Case Complete at NVC

July 2009 - Parents Interview in London

July/Aug - Parents enter USA.

It can be done in 4 years.

Thank you for your timeline. Your timeline indicates that everything went perfectly smooth. 4 years is the quickest that may be possible. I prefer to pad the time so that the parents don't what may be an unrealistic expectation of quick and easy immigration to the US. I suspect that a petition for parents in the UK may be handle differently from a petition for parents in the Philippines.

Thanks for all of your reply. You are all so helpful. So, 5 years, about 2014 would be the year that my parents would be there. God, that's too long. But, I guess I don't have any options. *sigh*

Aug 13 - Naturalized

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.