tinyrosie

Planning ahead... what are my options?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Hi All,

I am not so sure if I posted this topic in the right forum, but I thought I'd just give it a shot (To moderator: please kindly assist. Thank you :) )

I entered the US on K-1 visa and I am expecting to receive my conditional GC sometime soon. I recently found that there is a good chance I will get an exciting employment offer in Japan for two years, starting April 2009. My husband and I have discussed about this a little bit, and he is quite excited about moving to Japan together. However, we haven't really thought about the immigration issues, especially how the moving would affect my status here in the US. Maybe it's still too early to think about it, but I just want to plan ahead to avoid whatever problem we probably will face in the future because we do want to come back to the US later on. When we do come back to the US, I want to be able to go back as permanent resident. So my question is... what are our options?

Thank you! :)

Timeline:

16-05-08 Sent I-129F to VSC

28-05-08 NOA1

18-09-08 NOA2

09-10-08 Medical

23-10-08 Interview - Approved

29-10-08 Visa received

17-11-08 POE

03-01-09 SSN card received (maiden name, changed to married name sometime after EAD received)

27-01-09 AOS documents sent

03-02-09 AOS NOA1

27-02-09 Biometrics appointment

02-04-09 Redo biometrics... aargghh!! >:(

03-04-09 Advance Parole received

10-04-09 EAD card received

01-05-09 RFE received

20-05-09 RFE response sent

25-06-09 AOS approved (CRIS e-mail notification)

07-07-09 Green Card received

Filed: Timeline

April 2009 or April 2010?

Hi All,

I am not so sure if I posted this topic in the right forum, but I thought I'd just give it a shot (To moderator: please kindly assist. Thank you :) )

I entered the US on K-1 visa and I am expecting to receive my conditional GC sometime soon. I recently found that there is a good chance I will get an exciting employment offer in Japan for two years, starting April 2009. My husband and I have discussed about this a little bit, and he is quite excited about moving to Japan together. However, we haven't really thought about the immigration issues, especially how the moving would affect my status here in the US. Maybe it's still too early to think about it, but I just want to plan ahead to avoid whatever problem we probably will face in the future because we do want to come back to the US later on. When we do come back to the US, I want to be able to go back as permanent resident. So my question is... what are our options?

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

I would abandon GC and apply for a new immigrant visa based on either an approved immigrant petition or returning resident status since you can stay out of the US up to 24 months with a reentry permit.

I am not an expert, so let's see what others suggest.

Immigration Process (DCF Japan)

08/06/2008 I-130 petition at Tokyo, Japan

08/13/2008 I-130 approved

|

| Waited until we were ready to move back

|

07/13/2009 IV interview at Tokyo, Japan

07/15/2009 IV(IR-1) in hand

Post-DCF

07/29/2009 POE at Las Vegas

08/17/2009 GC(10yrs) received

Click here for the detailed timeline.

Done with USCIS until

- naturalization in May 2012 or

- GC replacement in February 2019

CXmLm7.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

It depends on the nature of employment and employer. You can even count the period of absence toward citizenship, without breaking the continuous residence requirement.

There are conditions that you must comply with, such as at least 365 days of continuous residence before applying with Form N-470, Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes, and your employment has to be specifically among those that qualify and are listed on the N470 form:

- On behalf of the U.S. Government.

- For the purpose of carrying on scientific research on behalf of an American institution of research.

- For the purpose of engaging in the development of foreign trade and commerce of the United States on behalf of an American firm or corporation or a subsidiary thereof.

- Necessary for the protection of property rights outside the United States of an American firm or corporation engaged in the development of foreign trade and commerce of the United States.

- On behalf of a public international organization of which the United States is a member.

- Solely because of my capacity as a clergyman or clergywoman, missionary, brother, nun or sister of a denomination or mission having a bona fide

organization in the United States.

and with I131 which allows you to stay overseas for periods longer than 1 year, without being considered as abandoning your GC when re-entering at POE.

Check these documents, form, requirements, who must apply with one, under what conditions:

I131 re-entry permit

N470 Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes

"how do I..?" guideline for permanent residents, available at: http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/B3eng.pdf

11/17/08 : Application sent (I-130, I-131, I-485, I-765)

11/18/08 : Official receipt of documents stated on I-797C (Signature for receipt at USCIS was on 11/17/2008 at 10PM)

11/28/08 : NOA Received ( I-797C) for all 4 forms (forms issued on 11/26/2008)

12/18/2008: LUD on I-130, I-131, I-765

01/29/2009: Bio done

01/29, 30/2009: LUD on I485 and I765

2/10/2009: issued AP, valid 1 year for multiple entries.

2/23/2009: Got EAD card

3/8/2009: LUD on all applications. Shows approval of I131 and I765, still pending on I130, I485.

04/28/2009 at 9:30 AM: Interview. Told to wait 90 days for a resolution by mail.

05/01/2009: Card production ordered.

05/06/2009: Received approval NOAs for I130 and I485 (welcome notice, 10 years card). I130 still shows case received and pending.

06/18/2009: got the 10 years validity card. Process length: 213 days since sending the applications.

No RFE at all along the process.

Timeline

OOPPSS!! I mean April 2010 :P

April 2009 or April 2010?
Hi All,

Timeline:

28-05-08 NOA1

18-09-08 NOA2

09-10-08 Medical

29-10-08 Visa received

17-11-08 POE

03-01-09 SSN card received (maiden name, changed to married name sometime after EAD received)

03-02-09 AOS NOA1

01-05-09 RFE received

Timeline

Thanks for the informative reply! I am not really worried about the naturalization process because I don't have any plan to change my citizenship anytime soon. Basically just want to maintain the permanent residency status. I think I'll take a look of the I-131 and look for additional info about it. Thanks again! :)

It depends on the nature of employment and employer. You can even count the period of absence toward citizenship, without breaking the continuous residence requirement.

There are conditions that you must comply with, such as at least 365 days of continuous residence before applying with Form N-470, Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes, and your employment has to be specifically among those that qualify and are listed on the N470 form:

- On behalf of the U.S. Government.

- For the purpose of carrying on scientific research on behalf of an American institution of research.

- For the purpose of engaging in the development of foreign trade and commerce of the United States on behalf of an American firm or corporation or a subsidiary thereof.

- Necessary for the protection of property rights outside the United States of an American firm or corporation engaged in the development of foreign trade and commerce of the United States.

- On behalf of a public international organization of which the United States is a member.

- Solely because of my capacity as a clergyman or clergywoman, missionary, brother, nun or sister of a denomination or mission having a bona fide

organization in the United States.

and with I131 which allows you to stay overseas for periods longer than 1 year, without being considered as abandoning your GC when re-entering at POE.

Check these documents, form, requirements, who must apply with one, under what conditions:

I131 re-entry permit

N470 Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes

"how do I..?" guideline for permanent residents, available at: http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/B3eng.pdf

Timeline:

28-05-08 NOA1

18-09-08 NOA2

09-10-08 Medical

29-10-08 Visa received

17-11-08 POE

03-02-09 AOS NOA1

01-05-09 RFE received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.