WHITE COW

Quick question

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hi everyone- I searched the forum with out much luck in finding this out....

Can the American finance go to the interview with the beneficiary.

Has anyone done this? Or think its important to do if you can? We thought we should spend the extra cash to fly me out there to join him once he gets his interview date but if most people don't have issues for approval we would rather save the cash. We just don't want to take any chances that he won't get approved. (God forbid)

I flew out earlier this year (april) for his citizen ship ceremony and to introduce my son to him. He and I have been together for 3 years and I have made 3 trips to him so plenty of receipts, tickets, and picts to prove our mad love (relationship)

Thanks!

White Cow

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Hi everyone- I searched the forum with out much luck in finding this out....

Can the American finance go to the interview with the beneficiary.

Has anyone done this? Or think its important to do if you can? We thought we should spend the extra cash to fly me out there to join him once he gets his interview date but if most people don't have issues for approval we would rather save the cash. We just don't want to take any chances that he won't get approved. (God forbid)

I flew out earlier this year (april) for his citizen ship ceremony and to introduce my son to him. He and I have been together for 3 years and I have made 3 trips to him so plenty of receipts, tickets, and picts to prove our mad love (relationship)

Thanks!

White Cow

Yes the American finance can go to the interview with the beneficiary, I did this. However we didn't plan it this way I just happen to be in England when the paperwork went through. I was able to go to the medical and the interview. It is not required you go to the interview, but I enjoyed going.

05/25/05 Mailed I-129F to TSC

06/08/05 CSC Recv's I-129F per USCIS website (Day14)

06/13/05 Recvd' NOA1 from CSC (Day19)

06/22/05 Petition Approved, NOA2 by email! (Day28)

06/25/05 Peter posts Police Cert Request (Day 31)

06/27/05 Recv'd NOA2 snail mail (Day 33)

06/30/05 NVC Recv'd Petition from CSC (Day 36)

07/06/05 NVC Forwards petition to London (Day 42)

07/09/05 Snail mail from NVC stating they recv'd petition/being forwarded to London (Day 45)

07/15/05 Peter recv's Police Report (Day 51)

07/18/05 Peter recv's packet 3 and schedules medical (Day 54)

07/25/05 Mail Packet 3!!! (Day 61)

08/04/05 Medical in Endinburgh (Day 71)

08/06/05 Received Packet 4 (Day 73)

08/10/05 Received medical in post (Day 77)

08/15/05 INTERVIEW IN LONDON APPROVED!!!!! (DAY 82)

11/08/05 He's Home

11/18/05 Wedding Day

D.O.R.A. Time Line

01/05/06 AOS Appointment

02/10/06 Bio metrics letter #1

02/14/06 Boimetrics letter #2

07/03/06 Email Update - Welcome letter is on it's way (5 months and 29 days)

07/05/06 Email Update - GC is ordered and on its way

07/10/06 Email Update - Case was aproved on July 10

07/11/06 2 Greencards arrived in post!!!

02/07/07 Final Greencard arrives...England here we come!

I think in general London is considered a relatively easy embassy to interview with. The presence of the US citizen is not required in London as it is (defacto) for some south american countries.

I had considered flying out there as well, for moral support as it seems like from the reviews the ones who had their fiance(e) by their side felt a lot more relaxed, but it would need 3 days off (which I don't have to spare), and $800. As far as I know there's not much the US citizen can do anyway except hand holding.

Be sure that your affidavit of support is filled out completely according to the instructions (London wants "DO INTEND" checked, and then some mention of complete financial support as you are getting married seems to be sufficient). This is the most helpful thing you can do.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Do we have any couples who recently BOTH (USC/UKC) went to the interview?

We went together in late 2005. I recall reading (about a year or so ago) that London wasn't allowing USC's in for K1 interviews......

Paul attended my interview at the Embassy in London with me in may 2008, he was only asked to show his passport and was let straight in with me. We actually saw quite a few couples go in without pre-permission for the USC to enter, the guard who let us in said as long as they are the petitioner they can accompany you in.

Something unrelated but funny in a weird way is, Paul has gone to that interview and the AOS one with me and we've never been asked the normal grilling questions about our relationship even how we met, our IO at the K1 stage just talked about the police check changing and getting that sorted and the IO at AOS just talked on about the FEBlue program on Blue shield medical after looking at our insurance cards and about Pauls then recent promotion and if I was in a hurry to look for work. Paul and I were discussing this the other day and still are bemused for the non-grilling although we dont mind of course...

... now back to topic ;)

Gemma and Paul - Our Timeline

05/17/2007 - K1 Visa app sent in

05/30/2008 - K1 Visa Interview, approved but suspended pending on new police report, sent new report in 2 days later along with my passport to the embassy

06/10/2008 - Passport delivered to the house with nice visa page stuck inside yipeee!

06/20/2008 - arrived in US

08/02/2008 - tied the knot

08/11/2008 - applied for AOS and EAD

09/11/2008 - NOA arrived for both

09/30/2008 - Biometrics

12/20/2008 - Interview Letter arrived

12/23/2008 - EAD approved!

12/29/2008 - EAD card ordered

02/11/2009 - Interview APPROVED!

02/25/2009 - Green Card in hand!

11/15/2010 - ROC I-751 filed

11/17/2010 - Delivery confirmation for I-751

11/27/2010 - NOA1 (dated 11/17/2010)

12/28/2010 - Biometrics

02/16/2011 - Approval/card production email

02/23/2011 - Ohh ahh.. 10yr card arrived

2011-2017 - vacations, baby boy born in 2014, more vacations, finally remember I could file for Citizenship 5 yrs ago!

01/20/2017 - N400 filed

01/30/2017 - N400 returned with amendments needed

01/31/2017 - N400 resubmitted

02/14/2017 - NOA (dated 02/09/2017)

03/03/2017 - Biometrics 

03/07/2017 - In line for interview
08/21/2017 - Interview letter received 
09/22/2017 - Interview date - Approved

10/17/2017 - Oath Ceremony 

I attended the interview July 29, 2008 with no prior permission. I just showed my US passport when we got to the front of the line and said "may I go in with him?"

To the OP...if you don't have the time or money, don't even think of needing to go. I just planned my summer visit around the that time. They won't even ask to see any proofs of your relationship if that is your worry. Just make sure you have good financial evidence and all the items on the checklist.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

There were a few people (2? 3?) who were not admitted, but there didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for this, since days later others said they had no problem getting in on the day.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Other Timeline
There were a few people (2? 3?) who were not admitted, but there didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for this, since days later others said they had no problem getting in on the day.

Well, that's what I had wondered. The sentries outside must have been having a bad day.

Thanks to the others for confirming that it can be done.

In most cases, it really doesn't seem necessary (in order to gain visa approval) for the USC to accompany the UK beneficiary to the interview at the London consulate. But I enjoyed going. It is a wonderful memory for us.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Save the money, the rest of th process is expensive enough as it is. I'm sure he's a big boy and can handle those mean IO's just fine.

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
I think in general London is considered a relatively easy embassy to interview with. The presence of the US citizen is not required in London as it is (defacto) for some south american countries.

I had considered flying out there as well, for moral support as it seems like from the reviews the ones who had their fiance(e) by their side felt a lot more relaxed, but it would need 3 days off (which I don't have to spare), and $800. As far as I know there's not much the US citizen can do anyway except hand holding.

Be sure that your affidavit of support is filled out completely according to the instructions (London wants "DO INTEND" checked, and then some mention of complete financial support as you are getting married seems to be sufficient). This is the most helpful thing you can do.

When you say I must have "do intend" checked- is that the area on the I-134 where (#11) where I check that I do intent to make specific contributions to the person named in #3? I read in an immigration book that I should check do not intend. eck! So I should proably redue this and resend it to my fiancee right away.

A question on a similar note (and maybe I should really start a new thread for this) the dates of the items I sent him (I-134, check stubs, letter from employer, bank letter and stmt are from last Dec) We had some issues that held us up so we were not able to send the checklist in until this week.

Is it advisable that I resend these items so its closer to interview or can I send them addtional items (bank stmt, letter from employer) to suppliment everything else my fiancee has?

As far as I know there's not much the US citizen can do anyway except hand holding.

That's no small thing if the beneficiary needs it :D

Also, I don't contest that moral support for your chosen life companion isn't important or worthy. However, since USC's presence won't affect the outcome of the visa process, and some of us would have to choose between time off to attend the interview and time off for the week after the wedding....and considering that summer airline prices for a trip, I think that Nik may end up having to undergo a few hours of stress without me. Actually, it's more the vacation time than the money...but $850 for a long weekend is a lot too!!

When you say I must have "do intend" checked- is that the area on the I-134 where (#11) where I check that I do intent to make specific contributions to the person named in #3? I read in an immigration book that I should check do not intend. eck! So I should proably redue this and resend it to my fiancee right away.

A question on a similar note (and maybe I should really start a new thread for this) the dates of the items I sent him (I-134, check stubs, letter from employer, bank letter and stmt are from last Dec) We had some issues that held us up so we were not able to send the checklist in until this week.

Is it advisable that I resend these items so its closer to interview or can I send them addtional items (bank stmt, letter from employer) to suppliment everything else my fiancee has?

Yes, I know the guides say you can put do not intend, but recently London has been wanting to see DO intend, so may as well be safe and do it. Also, you'll want to update your pay stubs (they want to see recent, as they are showing current employment), send along your 2008 Tax return + W2s, and send a notarized updated letter of intent. I wouldn't think that a second employment letter is necessary if you are showing updated paycheck stubs. I would think the same reasoning would apply to bank statements/letter (new statements + Dec. letter). Probably no need to overnight those things, as unless you have asked for a super early date, there will be lots of time for regular mail to arrive before the interview. Sorry, but at least you know before the interview!

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

My fiance put "do not intend" and our interview went fine. BUT we did have a co-sponsor who ticked "intend" with room-and-board.

They only took a copy of the 2008 tax returns for me and the 134 forms.. I did have bank statements, letter of employment, and tax returnds /W2's for about 3 years.. I would recommend getting this year's tax returns if nothing else as they're the first thing they'll want to see, I reckon.

On topic, I did want my fiance to come to the interview but he left the UK about a week before the date. I was really nervous, but managed it all by myself (proud :D )... he did get to help out by messaging me London directions from Google and calming me down, and the interview was pretty painless except the waiting which would've been the same if he were with me... so all in all, it was £400 well-saved.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.