mosacorp

I want to apply for a reentry permit (i-131)

5 posts in this topic

Hi. I am unsure about a couple of things and would appreciate some guidance.

1) My wife (US CITIZEN) and I recently had our i-485/i-130 interview, all went well and the officer said from that day I was a conditional resident for 2 years, that my GC should arrive in the mail in 2 weeks. Also that I can use it to reenter back in the US and my passport to travel to my country.

2) I did NOT apply for form i-131 when we did all the other froms, however there are rules saying that if I wanted to then

I would not have to pay for the i-131 (since the cost is already included in that whole AOS package and that when I did

apply, to just make copies of the i-797's that I got , and also the GC, and mail it off.

3) So, I got the "Welcome to the United States of America" letter yesterday, which was about a week after the interview.

and I am expecting the GC soon, but, my wife and I want to travel to my country in about 1.5 months to visit for a

month. I know that I should be fine with just the GC when reentering the US and my wife by my side, but I am just

want to make extra certain. Also :

- can I apply for form i-131, for a reentry form before I leave or was that just for Advanced Parole and would I have to pay the $300 something fee?

-If I can apply do I have to send in photos since they have my picture?

-How long should it take, I intend sending an expedited envelope, and I have done with all the BIOMETRICS etc.?

Thank you for your advice.

Wait for the greencard.

Since your AOS was approved, and your waiting for the greencard, (you won't have to pay for it - since you filed for the 485 - instructions state "at a later date")

Yes, if you apply now, you would need to satisfy the requirements for that form. It will be seperate from your other applications.

I would imagine it will take longer to do the AP then to wait for the greencard.

So - I say again, I would wait for the coming green card - and move my visit as needed.

Edited by Bobby_Umit

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

can this be moved into another forum?

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Moved to a more appropriate forum from the Canada forum

Note to the OP -you can expect the green card in 2 weeks and hope to travel is 6 weeks. An AP takes about 12 weeks to process so you would receive the AP well after the green card. With the green card there is no need for an AP unless you intend to be out of the country for a year or more, in which case you would then apply for a re-entry permit. A visit of a month does not require a re-entry permit if you have a green card. You should be fine.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.