18 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Pakistan
Timeline

people as far as i know the immigrant visa is valid for six months only and one has to move to usa within six months.

and once one has stepped in usa and wants to come back to its native country one cant stay in its native country for more than 6 months(probably).

but i have heard in special cases in which one has to stay in ones country for a period more than 6 months on special grounds may be allowed to stay out of the usa for a period of about 2 years.this is probably called leave.

can anyone tell me whats the specific/official name of this leave ??

and

whats the criteria for this leave?

and

how long it could be?

please direct me to a forum on vj if there is any

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Timeline

do i have to inform about my intentions that i have to leave USA prior travelling?

or i would apply for re-entry after i have left usa and lived for more than 6 months or one year(which one is minimum duration allowed to staty out of usa once one has gotten its social security number and green card when on immigrant visa)?

should one inform or just leave and then apply for re-entry?

please explain me briefly this will help me browse the internet for what i want to know

thanks

Once you have obtained your Permanent Residency/Green Card, you have a certain obligation to maintain residency in the US if you intend to continue being a LPR (Legal Permanent Resident).

You may leave the country any time you wish and remain outside the US as long as you wish. However, if you are gone for (usually) more than one year, you will need a re-entry permit - the re-entry permit must be applied for in advance (before you leave); afterward is possible for certain criteria.

For the typical vacation/visit-family trips - nothing really needs to be done.

Are you planing on living elsewhere and wanting to somehow maintain your PR/Green Card status?

Timeline
please explain me briefly this will help me browse the internet for what i want to know

thanks

Once you have obtained your Permanent Residency/Green Card, you have a certain obligation to maintain residency in the US if you intend to continue being a LPR (Legal Permanent Resident).

You may leave the country any time you wish and remain outside the US as long as you wish. However, if you are gone for (usually) more than one year, you will need a re-entry permit - the re-entry permit must be applied for in advance (before you leave); afterward is possible for certain criteria.

For the typical vacation/visit-family trips - nothing really needs to be done.

Are you planing on living elsewhere and wanting to somehow maintain your PR/Green Card status?

actually i am a student and i am still in pakistan.my immigrant visa is valid till october 2009 and plannig to move to the usa in july after final exams of the sixth semester of my degree program.

here in pakistan education is cheap

one more thing to be considered is that i am currently in 6th semester and i need to come back in september to carry on with my study.

so,i am collecting inforation about these things.

Timeline

i want to come back and continue my education because if i get my credit hours transfered over there in usa.

the chances are

1.not all credit hours will get transfered

2.i will definitely have to study more than one year(if i come back and continue in pakistan it will take only one year).

yes i want my green card/permanent resident status preserved.

i am still in pakistan and will definitly be there in july.

thanks

your suggestion will be highly appreciated.

is it a must for me to get the green card and social security number b4 i leave for my native country???

No but then you spent 11-years in the 'system' for basically nothing (according to your timeline as F4 status since 1998).

thanks

Did you read the link I posted?

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Timeline
is it a must for me to get the green card and social security number b4 i leave for my native country???

No but then you spent 11-years in the 'system' for basically nothing (according to your timeline as F4 status since 1998).

yea but it wasnt the best of the time to recieve the visa.

It sounds like you have a very difficult situation. You may want to research some of the higher education institutions in the US to determine if one will work for you. Some colleges and universities may accept credits that others do not. Since you are worried about your credits being accepted, you may also want to research the "value" of your final degree here. If the credits are not accepted, it may be that the final degree doesn't give you the value that you will be looking for.

Unfortunately the answer to your question regarding maintaining Legal Permanent Resident status and living abroad for two years; the simple answer is that you can't.

I wish you the best of luck with your decision!!

I-130 Journey

03/12/2008 I-130 Sent

03/17/2008 NOA1

05/07/2008, 05/08/2008 Touched

10/31/2008 Approved!!

NVC Journey

11/07/2008 I-130 Received; Case Number Assigned

11/12/2008 AOS Fee Bill Generated/DS3032 mailed

11/12/2008 Emailed DS3032 11/13/2008 Mailed DS3032 Hardcopy

11/15/2008 AOS Fee Bill Received in Mail (IIN Received in the mail)

11/17/2008 Paid AOS Fee Online

11/17/2008 DS3032 Accepted

11/18/2008 AOS Fee shows as Paid; Mailed AOS Packet overnight

11/18/2008 IV Fee Available, IV Fee Paid Online

11/20/2008 Mailed DS230 Packet Overnight, AOS Entered into the system (False RFE Message) Rec 11/21

11/24/2008 IV Bill hardcopy received (not needed since I paid online)

11/26/2008 NVC Case Complete 19 days!!

12/23/2008 CR1Visa In Hand

12/24/2008 POE San Juan

US Entry

01/09/2009 Welcome Letter/Card Processing ordered

01/15/2009 Green Card Received, 01/14/2009 SS Card Received

Removal of Conditions

10/16/2010 I751 Sent

10/25/2010 NOA Received NOA Date 10/19/2010

01/12/2011 Biometrics (Biometrics letter date 12/15/2010)

03/03/2011 Approved - Card Production Ordered

03/10/2011 GC Received

US Citizenship

10/13/2011 N400 Sent

10/18/2011 NOA 10/19/2011 Check Cashed

04/17/2012 Email bio letter sent (received 4/19/12)

04/24/2012 Early Bio due to travel plans (bio date orig 5/11/12)

04/30/2012 Interview letter received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

i dont know if this will help u any on the credits, but i lived and went to school in pakistan for about four years, i returned my senior year, i had more credits than what was needed to graduate but........they only accepted a portion of my credits from pakistan. i had to go the complete year of my senior year to be able to graduate with the right amount of credits, for me it was ok because everything they were studying i had already passed and earned credits for, so it meant my senior year was pretty much a vacation but boring.

when i went on to college i found that if i had not completed my senior year here in the usa there would have been some problem with me entering into college based on my credits from pakistan..........

i hope this helps u some.

sara

Timeline
i dont know if this will help u any on the credits, but i lived and went to school in pakistan for about four years, i returned my senior year, i had more credits than what was needed to graduate but........they only accepted a portion of my credits from pakistan. i had to go the complete year of my senior year to be able to graduate with the right amount of credits, for me it was ok because everything they were studying i had already passed and earned credits for, so it meant my senior year was pretty much a vacation but boring.

when i went on to college i found that if i had not completed my senior year here in the usa there would have been some problem with me entering into college based on my credits from pakistan..........

i hope this helps u some.

sara

ur country is india but u have lived in paksitan.

how come???

obviously they cant acept all the credit hours but did they accepted all those who were in common

for example

here i have studied linear control systems and electric workshop

and i go to a university in usa which offers linear control systems in their degree but not electric workshop

then most probably they will getthe credits of linear control systems because it is common to both degrees.yea i know its really boring if u have to study the same subjects again

my friends got migrated to a different university and here in my university they studied digital logic design in first semester but there they had to study tht again in 3rd semester.

that was due to policy of that university

but i think when ur credits are transfered in us u dont have to study that subject again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.