Stella08

Fairfax Office - Question about original citizenship

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

When I had my interview in Fairfax, the officer asked me if I intended to keep my original citizenship in addition to the American citizenship. I found this odd, since I never heard of this question being asked before. The officer also was very well informed about the laws of my home country concerning this topic.

Now I heard from another German, who had an interview at the same office with a different officer, that she was asked the same thing.

And now I'm wondering if they only ask Germans about this or if anybody else has been asked during their interview, if they're planning on keeping their original citizenship.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
When I had my interview in Fairfax, the officer asked me if I intended to keep my original citizenship in addition to the American citizenship. I found this odd, since I never heard of this question being asked before. The officer also was very well informed about the laws of my home country concerning this topic.

Now I heard from another German, who had an interview at the same office with a different officer, that she was asked the same thing.

And now I'm wondering if they only ask Germans about this or if anybody else has been asked during their interview, if they're planning on keeping their original citizenship.

From what I have seen posted previously here, a German citizen needs to file a document and get approval from German government to retain their German citizenship before they take oath to become US citizen. Otherwise German citizenship is lost. My guess is the IO was inquiring about your intentions along those lines.

P

Philadelphia

Sent N-400: 11/5/08

PD: 11/10/08

FP notice: 11/25/08

FP Date: 12/10/08

IL: 2/2/09

ID: 3/20/09 (Recommended for approval)

OL: 4/29/09

OD: 5/8/09 (re-scheduled from 4/10 and then 4/28) (Completed - Now a Citizen )

Passport applied: 5/12/09 (Philadelphia Passport Office)

Passport book received: 5/13/09 (Philadelphia Passport Office)

Passport card received: 6/8/09 (USPS)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

From what I have seen posted previously here, a German citizen needs to file a document and get approval from German government to retain their German citizenship before they take oath to become US citizen. Otherwise German citizenship is lost. My guess is the IO was inquiring about your intentions along those lines.

P

You're right. That's exactly, what he was asking. I was just wondering, if they ask only Germans, if they plan on keeping their citizenship, because they need to apply for a special authorization to apply for another citizenship, if they don't want to lose their German citizenship. Or if they also ask people from other nations, who can become dual citizens without any special paperwork, because they don't automatically lose their original citizenship when they apply for American citizenship. So, let's say you're British, have you been asked if you plan on keeping your British citizenship or if you will go the British authorities and renounce it?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

P

You're right. That's exactly, what he was asking. I was just wondering, if they ask only Germans, if they plan on keeping their citizenship, because they need to apply for a special authorization to apply for another citizenship, if they don't want to lose their German citizenship. Or if they also ask people from other nations, who can become dual citizens without any special paperwork, because they don't automatically lose their original citizenship when they apply for American citizenship. So, let's say you're British, have you been asked if you plan on keeping your British citizenship or if you will go the British authorities and renounce it?

Didn't ask me anything about British citizenship.

P

Edited by phl_nov08

Philadelphia

Sent N-400: 11/5/08

PD: 11/10/08

FP notice: 11/25/08

FP Date: 12/10/08

IL: 2/2/09

ID: 3/20/09 (Recommended for approval)

OL: 4/29/09

OD: 5/8/09 (re-scheduled from 4/10 and then 4/28) (Completed - Now a Citizen )

Passport applied: 5/12/09 (Philadelphia Passport Office)

Passport book received: 5/13/09 (Philadelphia Passport Office)

Passport card received: 6/8/09 (USPS)

Me neither

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

When I had my interviewed last Wednesday May 13, the IO didn't asked me if i would want to retain my original citizenship

I-130 Petition for alien relative (mom)

01/08/2010 - Mailed I-130 form via express mail

01/11/2010 - Received Application and signed by JPM

01/19/2010 - Received NOA1

03/10/2010 - Received approval notice via e-mail

03/15/2010 - Received NOA2 via mail

NVC

03/16/2010 - case no. assigned and registered both my mom and my e-mail addresses

03/18/2010 - Received DS-3032 form and AOS fee bill from NVC via e-mail

03/18/2010 - PAID AOS fee

03/20/2010 - e-mailed signed DS-3032 to NVC

03/23/2010 - Mailed I-864 packet via USPS

03/25/2010 - NVC received DS 3032 thru e-mail

03/26/2010 - NVC received I-864 packet

03/31/2010 - PAID IV Bill online

04/10/2010 - Received RFE, missing DS-230 and entire documents..... still waiting for my mom to send me her stuff. omg!

04/22/2010 - Mailed DS 230 packet via USPS Priority Mail.... huh! finally I received my mom's docs.

04/26/2010 - NVC received DS 230 packet

05/07/2010 - Sign-in FAILED....great!

05/10/2010 - Talked to the NVC operator and said "CASE COMPLETED" on 05/10/2010

05/13/2010 - Received Interview Appt. on 06/02/2010 via e-mail

05/17/2010 - Medical Exam

06/02/2010 - Interview Appointment PASSED

06/23/2010 - Returned her passport to Singapore Embassy for issuance of visa

06/30/2010 - Visa Received... Yehey!!

09/16/2010 - Arrived in Hawaii

10/02/2010 - Received Welcome Notice

10/12/2010 - Applied for SS #

10/13/2010 - Received 10 years permanent card

10/18/2010 - Received ss card

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Didn't ask me anything about my Cdn citizenship at the Fairfax office

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.