sweetpea1

Copying of Naturalization Certificate

8 posts in this topic

I am applying for naturalization based on being married to a USC for 3 years since being an LPR.

My question. Is it okay to make a copy of my wife's Certificate of Naturalization to attach to my N-400? There is a statement on the document to the effect that it is illegal to copy of this document. I am puzzled as the USCIS instructions for filing the N-400 asks for a copy of this document. Reason I am asking is my wife's current passport is only one year old and a copy of the appropriate pages does not indicate she has been a USC for the last 3 years although she has been a citizen for 22+years. Any help with this issue.

As always a big thank you

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
I am applying for naturalization based on being married to a USC for 3 years since being an LPR.

My question. Is it okay to make a copy of my wife's Certificate of Naturalization to attach to my N-400? There is a statement on the document to the effect that it is illegal to copy of this document. I am puzzled as the USCIS instructions for filing the N-400 asks for a copy of this document. Reason I am asking is my wife's current passport is only one year old and a copy of the appropriate pages does not indicate she has been a USC for the last 3 years although she has been a citizen for 22+years. Any help with this issue.

As always a big thank you

couldnt u just place a copy of her usa passport instead if ur worried about it? im not sure of the answer but seems thats the next logical way :) they can access her information from that passport and see how long she has been a citizen

sara

Edited by estadia

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

We were told at the oath ceremony that it is legal to make black-and-white copies. It even was strongly recommended to keep one or two black-and-white copies for yourself, just in case you lose the certificate (even though the copies are no real replacement). You just shouldn't go out and make copies for all your friends, family and neighbors :blush: . But it is not o.k. to make color copies, because that could be considered as trying to duplicate the certificate and passing it as an original.

Edited by Stella08

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You are allowed to make copies if it is for official business, USCIS request a Copy if your spouse is applying for N400 or you are petitioning for a relative. I filed for my parents and I had to make an infopass appointment to ask about copying the certificate so I could include it with the I-130's for my parents. I was told that yes it is ok to make copies for USCIS or any other government dept and that they can be color or black and white.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I have included copies of my naturalization certificate several times in this process (for my wife) - K1, AOS, citizenship etc. - as long as its official its supposed to be OK. I am also not too afraid of this particular rule - seems to be it falls under the do not remove under penalty of law - labels on mattresses! :D: Don't be afraid, go ahead make copies and use them - I have.

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
I have included copies of my naturalization certificate several times in this process (for my wife) - K1, AOS, citizenship etc. - as long as its official its supposed to be OK. I am also not too afraid of this particular rule

I can't recall the exact wording on the certificate but remember it being along the lines of "do not copy for unlawful purposes". You are perfectly within your rights to make a copy for your own security, or to send to the USCIS, since these are "lawful purposes".

N400 at California SC, Field office- Los Angeles

Sep 3, 2007 Application Mailed

Sep 12, 2007 - Priority date

Nov 9,2007 - check cashed

Nov 20,2007 - NOA1: "expect to be notified within 425 days of this notice",

Jan 10, 2008 - fingerprints appointment (letter lost due to mailing address receipted incorrectly)

Feb 7, 2008 - fingerprints done (took about 10 min - as a walk-in)

Sept 8, 2008 - Interview date (letter received Jul 18) - rescheduled at my request

Jan 6, 2009 - Interview date

Feb 26, 2009 - Citizenship Oath

*online status "case received Oct 29", no touches showing.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Black and white is practically unreadable, especially when you have to send in a copy of your green card, with the certificate, the photo looks like a blob and certainly can't identify the likeness from that. No commercial place in town will do a copy for me, so screw them, purchased a Kodak color photographic printer. Does an excellent job, but you will have to be a complete idiot to realize that this is not the original.

But since you kind of grow accustomed to dealing with idiots, typed in on a white area in red letters, "This is a copy for USCIS purposes". They want a copy of it for an I-130 we are sending in for my wife's son and would also need a copy in case her original is lost. Used my photo program to do that with a nice scan of her certificate

Had no problems with her green card copy at her interview, her IO even liked it, could easily read both sides of her card, But they took her card away during her oath ceremony, after all the stress and expense we went through to get it. She only had it for seven weeks. No place to type in, this is a copy, so left that out.

I wasn't born paranoid, but sure became that way in dealing with the USCIS.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.