faith42

Confused :( Your feedback is needed & appreciated…

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I have a quick, but rather complicated question.

I went for my scheduled citizenship interview today. I waited for 2.5 hours before I was called in. The officer was nice, but I could tell that she was not going to deliver good news :( Turns out my FBI name check hasn’t cleared and she stated that she could not complete the interview process today :crying:

She didn’t have any more information for me :(

Could she have done the interview today? What does this mean and how long does it usually take? What time frame should I look at? What are my options at this point?

For those of you who have more experience please advise on what I should do next (I really have no clue where to start, other than contacting a lawyer).

Thank you in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

They won't do interviews until the FBI checks are done because once the do the interview it starts a clock ticking for them. They have to make a decision within a certain timeframe after the interview.

My understanding is they got sued and changed the procedure as a result.

It seems to me that they shouldn't even SCHEDULE an interview until the background checks are complete.

08/28/2004 Engaged

09/22/2004 I-129F submitted

10/01/2004 I-129F Approved

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

01/30/2006 Conditional Green Card Approved

01/15/2008 Conditions Removed and 10 Year Card Issued

03/28/2009 N-400 mailed to Lockbox

07/17/2009 Interview Denver USCIS office RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

09/04/2009 Applied for passport

09/22/2009 Passport approved and mailed

09/24/2009 Passport received

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

I didn't know they scheduled interviews even though the name check isn't cleared, guess we learn something new everyday... try calling the fbi directly to see what the problem might be, anyone else has an input?

Field Office - Minneapolis-St Paul

N400 Sent 4/20/2009

N400 Received 4/21/2009 at Phoenix Lock Box facility

PD 4/22/2009

Check cashed 4/27/2009

NOA letter 4/27/2009

FP 05/28/2009

IL received 07/06/2009

Interview on 08/20/2009

OL 09/16/2009

OD 09/23/2009 - DONE.. finally :D

I was told exactly the same thing about the FBI name check still pending but the interviewing officer did complete my interview. He just said that he could not give me a decision since he had to wait for that to clear. Apparently they CAN schedule interviews before they get the name check back. I went yesterday and I hope that our FBI checks get completed soon. Nonetheless, I think that your interview should have been completed. Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
I was told exactly the same thing about the FBI name check still pending but the interviewing officer did complete my interview.

That makes sense, but technically your interview isn't complete because IO didn't put the big fat approved stamp on it yet :D, but the original poster's interview, i agree, should have been done (again, sans the approved stamp, pending name check).

Field Office - Minneapolis-St Paul

N400 Sent 4/20/2009

N400 Received 4/21/2009 at Phoenix Lock Box facility

PD 4/22/2009

Check cashed 4/27/2009

NOA letter 4/27/2009

FP 05/28/2009

IL received 07/06/2009

Interview on 08/20/2009

OL 09/16/2009

OD 09/23/2009 - DONE.. finally :D

You can't really call the FBI...you can..but you are not going to get very far with them. Sucks that your name check did not come in time. Somebody dropped the ball at the USCIS...ooo imagine that eh? Contact your Senators office.....see if they can provide any assistance to you. Have the USC spouse contact them, it helps. Do some research on which Senators office works better with USCIS...strange as it seems, one office gets better answers than the other.

My Citizenship Timeline

Service Center : Nebraska

CIS Office : St Paul, MN

Date Filed : 2008-07-31

NOA Date : 2008-08-06

Bio.Rcvd Date : 2008-08-15

Bio. Appt. : 2008-08-28

Interview Date : 2008-12-08

Approved : YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Final Approval 2009-03-16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!File is in line for Oath Schedule

Oath Letter Rcvd: 2009-04-03

Oath Ceremony : 2009-04-30

Total Time So Far: 9 months, 0 days ..WooHoo!!!!!!!! Can You Hear The Sarcasm =)

I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

N-400

5/29/2010 - USPS Express Mail Out N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/11/2010 - NOA in my mail box

6/17/2010 - Able to see case status "Initial Review"

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/2/2010 - Called mis-information line to put in a service request for STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED "FP NOTICE"

7/8/2010 - LUD, at 2:32am, received text msg and e-mail for req. for add'l evidence being mailed out on July 6th, believe it's for the FP

7/12/2010 - Received FP notice in mail, scheduled for 8/2/2010

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

7/22/2010 - Online status changed to "Case sent to local office for interview schedule"

7/27/2010 - Received interview letter for 8/23/2010

8/23/2010 - Passed interview, was informed that next oath date is 9/22/2010 and oath letter will come in the mail

9/3/2010 - Received oath letter in the mail for 9/22/2010

Disclaimer: All comments, advice and information are given out by my kind intention, please use them at your own risk and do not hold me liable or responsible for any inaccuracy.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I really do not understand what the USCIS does with FBI name checks, but had to other occasions within the last six years for an FBI name check. One was purchasing a new rifle at a local sporting goods store, had to show my ID, drivers' license and fill out a yellow form, gave it to the sales clerk and in less than a minute he said I was okay. Something about a database with a list of suspected terrorist or whatever. Second time is when my wife first got her green card and I added her to my banking accounts. Her green card was her ID, girl got on the her computer and said she was okay, she was not on the list, said it had something to do with the APA, couldn't help but comment that we weren't exactly opening a 25 million dollar account, she smiled.

Maybe this has something to do with your name, just glanced at her computer screen, a lot of those middle eastern names on it that are impossible for me to pronounce. But one could only ask, how did you get both your conditional and ten year card then suddenly have problems with the N-400?

Filed: Timeline
But one could only ask, how did you get both your conditional and ten year card then suddenly have problems with the N-400?

I wish I knew.

My AOS and I-751 journeys were pretty uneventful. My fingerprinting appointment for N-400 was back in February so I really don’t know what could have gone wrong.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I have a quick, but rather complicated question.

I went for my scheduled citizenship interview today. I waited for 2.5 hours before I was called in. The officer was nice, but I could tell that she was not going to deliver good news :( Turns out my FBI name check hasn’t cleared and she stated that she could not complete the interview process today :crying:

She didn’t have any more information for me :(

Could she have done the interview today? What does this mean and how long does it usually take? What time frame should I look at? What are my options at this point?

For those of you who have more experience please advise on what I should do next (I really have no clue where to start, other than contacting a lawyer).

Thank you in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes as mentioned already, they have changed this so that they don't do the interviews now until the name check clears.

Who knows how long it will take, everyone is different, some have waited quite sometime (over a year). Not sure if there is much you can do but just sit and wait and maybe after a few months call into your local government representitive and see if they can do anything. I've heard that this has been successful for some people in getting the name check sped up after a very long wait...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.