Don E

Emergency Travel

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hoping to get some quick advice from the VJ Russia Forum family....

Tania found out earlier today that her father unexpectedly died this morning. The funeral is scheduled for Friday in Tomsk. She doesn't yet have her AP. From what I understand (I read the DOS emergency travel provisions) , there's nothing that she can get by tomorrow morning that will allow her to easily return to the U.S. It's unlikely that it's even possible for us to book her flights that would get her there before Saturday. But, even if they could delay the funeral for a day or two (and I'm not sure that they can), it doesn't appear that she can get there and return to the U.S. without abandoning her AOS application and having to apply for another visa?

Does anyone know of any emergency provisions for her to depart immediately, with her immigration circumstances, that would allow her to come back to the U.S. without messing everything up? She's already pretty much resigned to the fact that she just won't be able to go, but I haven't given up just yet. Any quick advice would be greatly appreciated.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Sorry about this, Don! I wish I could help but I don't knowwhat to suggest.

February 3, 2005. Applied for K-1.

July 14, 2005. Email to NVC congressional unit

Nov 2, 2005. Letter to congressman

Nov 8, 2005. Letter from congressman

December 19, 2005. Visa interview in Moscow. (250 days at NVC)

January 27, 2006. POE: JFK.

April 8, 2006. Wedding in USA.

April 19, 2006. Apply for AOS.

July 12, 2006. AOS Interview.

February 26, 2008. Letter to congresswoman.

March 19, 2008. Conditional Permanent residence began!!

2009: Wake up and get on the uscis train again - lifting conditions

Dec 21, 2009. Eligible to apply to remove conditions

February 2010: 10-yr Green Card Received

Tania found out earlier today that her father unexpectedly died this morning. The funeral is scheduled for Friday in Tomsk. She doesn't yet have her AP. From what I understand (I read the DOS emergency travel provisions) , there's nothing that she can get by tomorrow morning that will allow her to easily return to the U.S. It's unlikely that it's even possible for us to book her flights that would get her there before Saturday. But, even if they could delay the funeral for a day or two (and I'm not sure that they can), it doesn't appear that she can get there and return to the U.S. without abandoning her AOS application and having to apply for another visa?

Does anyone know of any emergency provisions for her to depart immediately, with her immigration circumstances, that would allow her to come back to the U.S. without messing everything up? She's already pretty much resigned to the fact that she just won't be able to go, but I haven't given up just yet. Any quick advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ok - call your local USCIS office and explain the situation, they will probably bring you in to get a stamp and/or expedited AP for this.

This is exactly what the AP is for.

Your correct - if she leaves without the AP - AOS is over and you will have to do another visa process.

Good Luck - sorry for your lost.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline

Thank you both for the replies and the expressions of sympathy. Of course, we can't call the KC office, but we would have to just drive up and take a chance that we could get in and possibly get something right away. But, now Tania realizes that even if she could get the AP tomorrow morning and get on a flight soon after, it would just be too much. She would get there late for the funeral, and she would be sleep deprived, jet lagged, very emotional, etc. She has decided that she won't try to get there for the funeral, but will wait until she gets her AP, which she should be getting within the next week or so.

Filed: Timeline

If there is a delay in receipt of the AP (it usually takes about 3 months), or she does decide to have the AP expedited, she will need to book an appointment through InfoPass and bring along her AOS and I-131 NOAs, along with proof of the emergency (death certificate, doctor's note, etc).

My condolences on the unfortunate loss of her father. I'm sure this is a terrible time for her..... especially being so far away. (F)

iagree.gif

Sorry I have no advice to offer on this issue, I'm kind of curious to see what you can come up with. From the sounds of it, the "emergency AP" could be an option. Good luck, and keep us posted.

My condolences to your wife and family.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm sorry for you & your wife's loss. I'd say drive down and get in line to get the emergency AP, they can stamp it in same day. She should bring evidence of the death (like letter, email, just something) with her, as well as NOA1 like Krikit mentioned.

I read that Tania doesn't want to go last minute and that she'll be too emotional. I have a family member that didn't go for a very similar reason, and to this day, over 20yrs later regrets not going and saying a final farewell. Hope you can discuss this with her.

(F)

A woman is like a tea bag: she does not know how strong she is until she is in hot water.

- Nancy Reagan

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Call your senators office.

We had an emergency not a death, but they got the AP approved in under 2 hours and fedexed we had it the next day.

Just need a credit card number for the Fedex charge.

Once the AP is approved she can leave the country and you can mail, again Fedex is the best for international, to her for her to return.

Eunice did not wait to recieve the AP left the same day.

I will take her AP to her next week, even though I will also be taking her Green Card to her.

Edited by Craneman

Filed: Timeline

Don & Tania: Condolences on your lost. I don't the particulars of her relationship with her dad, However if you can afford for her to travel, I would suggest she does it. Like Gigii commented, she will have remorse about not being able to travel. Especially since the death was unexpected and very sudden. The infopass appointment is your best bet.

Timeline

Thanks to all of you who have offered advice and support. Even if we had been able to get right into the KC USCIS office first thing this morning, if they would have given her an AP document on the spot, and if she could have got on a flight for Moscow right after that, she wouldn't have been able to get to Tomsk before Saturday morning.....at best. By the time she would have arrived, the funeral would have been over, and most of the relatives (even her sister and nieces) would have also left Tomsk. It just wasn't going to work out. She has accepted that, and we'll deal with the circumstances as best we can.

Again, thank you to all who replied.

Timeline

How is this for irony? Tania received her AP in the mail today. After understanding the flight schedules last week, I'm not sure that having the AP in hand would have been the difference in not going or going. But, to get it today, and to not have had it 5 days earlier, gave us both reason to pause. But, no point in dwelling on the "what if".

Remember that whole riddle inside an enigma wrapped in a conundrum thing? That's going to be the story of your lives from now on. Just roll with it.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.