Misty1979

Help me with this argument, please!

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I've been frequenting these forums for a couple years now, but haven't researched the Citizenship side of things a whole lot yet, since I didn't want to put the cart before the horse.

However...I joined the military a few months ago (I am the foreign spouse, for the record,) and shortly after joining, I heard somewhere that my Citizenship process could be sped along based on military service. From what I heard, after serving for 1 year, you can apply for citizenship.

I am currently preparing to remove conditions, so am no where near Citizenship without the military service involved.

The reason I'm desperate to obtain my Citizenship as fast as possible is: In order to qualify for the "A" school I want to go with for my rate in the Coast Guard, I need a security clearance. Currently, my security clearance has been denied twice, due to the fact alone that I am from a foreign country.

At the current rate, I should expect to be going to this school within 8-9 months, so acquiring my Citizenship ASAP is crucial in order for me to move up in the ranks, and not be the lowest on the food chain forever.

Does anyone know if this tidbit of info is true? I've asked around here at work, and even the people who are supposed to know this stuff first hand, say I have to go through the same process as everyone else. But on the same token, I looked at the Citizenship form N-400. and there is a spot on there to check off if you have military service.

I could make an Infopass appt and ask, but I figured I would run it by you guys first, and see what you thought :thumbs:

Thanks for any replies!

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Hi everyone,

I've been frequenting these forums for a couple years now, but haven't researched the Citizenship side of things a whole lot yet, since I didn't want to put the cart before the horse.

However...I joined the military a few months ago (I am the foreign spouse, for the record,) and shortly after joining, I heard somewhere that my Citizenship process could be sped along based on military service. From what I heard, after serving for 1 year, you can apply for citizenship.

I am currently preparing to remove conditions, so am no where near Citizenship without the military service involved.

The reason I'm desperate to obtain my Citizenship as fast as possible is: In order to qualify for the "A" school I want to go with for my rate in the Coast Guard, I need a security clearance. Currently, my security clearance has been denied twice, due to the fact alone that I am from a foreign country.

At the current rate, I should expect to be going to this school within 8-9 months, so acquiring my Citizenship ASAP is crucial in order for me to move up in the ranks, and not be the lowest on the food chain forever.

Does anyone know if this tidbit of info is true? I've asked around here at work, and even the people who are supposed to know this stuff first hand, say I have to go through the same process as everyone else. But on the same token, I looked at the Citizenship form N-400. and there is a spot on there to check off if you have military service.

I could make an Infopass appt and ask, but I figured I would run it by you guys first, and see what you thought :thumbs:

Thanks for any replies!

Fast!

US Military

Slow:

US Military 2

You should check with the on-base lawyers for help in this matter. They are free, and can give you the right forms you will need to have.

good luck!

Edited by Bobby_Umit

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi everyone,

Thanks for any replies!

Fast!

US Military

Slow:

US Military 2

You should check with the on-base lawyers for help in this matter. They are free, and can give you the right forms you will need to have.

good luck!

Thank you, I appreciate the speedy reply :thumbs: I'm looking into the on-base lawyers right now ( I didn't even know they existed, go figure .)

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Join the mobile infantry and save the world!

Service guarantees citizenship.

Would you like to know more?

starship_troopers_large_05.jpg

/this situation always reminds me

Me -.us Her -.ma

------------------------

I-129F NOA1: 8 Dec 2003

Interview Date: 13 July 2004 Approved!

US Arrival: 04 Oct 2004 We're here!

Wedding: 15 November 2004, Maui

AOS & EAD Sent: 23 Dec 2004

AOS approved!: 12 July 2005

Residency card received!: 4 Aug 2005

I-751 NOA1 dated 02 May 2007

I-751 biometrics appt. 29 May 2007

10 year green card received! 11 June 2007

Our son Michael is born!: 18 Aug 2007

Apply for US Citizenship: 14 July 2008

N-400 NOA1: 15 July 2008

Check cashed: 17 July 2008

Our son Michael is one year old!: 18 Aug 2008

N-400 biometrics: 19 Aug 2008

N-400 interview: 18 Nov 2008 Passed!

Our daughter Emmy is born!: 23 Dec 2008

Oath ceremony: 29 Jan 2009 Complete! Woo-hoo no more USCIS!

Join the mobile infantry and save the world!

Service guarantees citizenship.

Would you like to know more?

starship_troopers_large_05.jpg

/this situation always reminds me

:thumbs:

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

LOL....Nice...=)

My Citizenship Timeline

Service Center : Nebraska

CIS Office : St Paul, MN

Date Filed : 2008-07-31

NOA Date : 2008-08-06

Bio.Rcvd Date : 2008-08-15

Bio. Appt. : 2008-08-28

Interview Date : 2008-12-08

Approved : YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Final Approval 2009-03-16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!File is in line for Oath Schedule

Oath Letter Rcvd: 2009-04-03

Oath Ceremony : 2009-04-30

Total Time So Far: 9 months, 0 days ..WooHoo!!!!!!!! Can You Hear The Sarcasm =)

I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.