Luckygoat

I-130 for CR-1 instead of K visa

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Barbados
Timeline

I have recently desided to file for I-130 outside of the U.S so that I can enter with residency status. I want to do everything at the consulate in my country instead of entering the U.S on a K-visa and then filing I-485 Adjustment of status.

My question is once the I-130 is approved would the forms that I need be spent to me abroad...or do I still file I-485 Adjustment of status.

I read that the following would be sent once the I-130 is approved

1. Completed and signed OF-169.

2. Completed and signed Of-230 Part 1 and 2 forms.

3. I-864 Affidavit of Support Form along with past 3 year U.S tax returns (or transcripts) and any other financial documents required.

Do these forms replace the whole AOS process. And also, can I send these forms to the consulate here (abroad) instead of back to the NVC?

Came to the U.S on a F1 visa January 2008

Got engaged to my USC girlfriend Dec 2008

DEC 29th 2009 Married

JAN 27th 2010 Medical completed Jan 27th

FEB 17th 2010 AOS + I-130 package sent

FEB 25th Got emails with all receipt # ( but not able to check on USCIS site)

FEB 28th Online status check available

MAR 1st Received Hard Copy of NOA's in the mail

MAR 8th Received Biometrics appointment in mail: for Mar 18th (however no updates on site or email notifications)

MAR 9th Biometrics complete via walk-in (All docs touched on USCIS site)

MAR 26th Received interview appointment (For May 6th)

APR 23rd Touched on I-130 and I-485

APR 26th Touched on all docs, EAD card production ordered

MAY 1st Advance patrol in mail

MAY 6th Interview (Request for additional information)

MAY 6th EAD in mail

June 1st (RFE mailed in)

June 28th Notice of approval on USCIS website

July 3th GREEN CARD INT HE MAIL!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I have recently desided to file for I-130 outside of the U.S so that I can enter with residency status. I want to do everything at the consulate in my country instead of entering the U.S on a K-visa and then filing I-485 Adjustment of status.

My question is once the I-130 is approved would the forms that I need be spent to me abroad...or do I still file I-485 Adjustment of status.

If you are filing outside of the country and have no intention to do a K visa then you will not file the I-485 at all

Form OF-169 is a consulate specific form that lists the documantation needed to be gathered by the benificiary for the interview

2. Completed and signed-230 Part 1 and 2 forms.

Yes this is sent only when asked to by NVC after you have paid the IV bill. DO NOT sign part II of the DS-230

3. I-864 Affidavit of Support Form along with past 3 year U.S tax returns (or transcripts) and any other financial documents required.

Yup - after the AOS bill has been paid you can send this in at the NVC level. To save some time, the shortcut guides here suggest you send the AOS and the DS-230 together.

Do these forms replace the whole AOS process. And also, can I send these forms to the consulate here (abroad) instead of back to the NVC? - If you go for the CR-1 these documents will be sent to NVC and not to the consulate - they will not accept them at the consulate and will just slow down your process. They do not replace the AOS it is just an alternative route.

Good luck on your journey

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

If you are filing outside of the country and have no intention to do a K visa then you will not file the I-485 at all

Form OF-169 is a consulate specific form that lists the documantation needed to be gathered by the benificiary for the interview

Yes this is sent only when asked to by NVC after you have paid the IV bill. DO NOT sign part II of the DS-230

Yup - after the AOS bill has been paid you can send this in at the NVC level. To save some time, the shortcut guides here suggest you send the AOS and the DS-230 together.

Ok you said if I am planning to file outside of the U.S and have no intentions to get a K visa then the I-485 is not needed. Isnt I-485 and AOS the same thing? So what AOS bill are you talkin about above?

Do these forms replace the whole AOS process. And also, can I send these forms to the consulate here (abroad) instead of back to the NVC? - If you go for the CR-1 these documents will be sent to NVC and not to the consulate - they will not accept them at the consulate and will just slow down your process. They do not replace the AOS it is just an alternative route.

I have read somewhere that I can opt to have conculate processing instead of sending them forms back to NVC....

Forms that may be either sent back (or requested to be gathered and kept for the interview) to the NVC or the consulate abroad (depending upon which consulate you are going through) before an interview date with a consulate abroad can be scheduled are as follows:

Pre-Interview Forms / Items: 1. Completed and signed OF-169.

DEC 29th 2009 Married

MAR 8th Received Biometrics appointment in mail: for Mar 18th (however no updates on site or email notifications)

MAY 6th EAD in mail

June 1st (RFE mailed in)

Timeline

Ok you said if I am planning to file outside of the U.S and have no intentions to get a K visa then the I-485 is not needed. Isnt I-485 and AOS the same thing? So what AOS bill are you talkin about above?

I have read somewhere that I can opt to have conculate processing instead of sending them forms back to NVC....

Forms that may be either sent back (or requested to be gathered and kept for the interview) to the NVC or the consulate abroad (depending upon which consulate you are going through) before an interview date with a consulate abroad can be scheduled are as follows:

Pre-Interview Forms / Items: 1. Completed and signed OF-169.

DEC 29th 2009 Married

MAY 6th EAD in mail

June 1st (RFE mailed in)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

AOS can either mean "adjustment of status" which you would need the I-485 for. But in your case you don't. AOS also means "Affidavit of Support" which will be needed with the tax returns etc. Sorry - when you get more familiar with the lingo it will be easier to read the posts. I should have been clearer.

Again, consulates have their own specific procedures so unless the consulate specifically asks for something, don't send it there. The I-864, the DS-230 will go directly to NVC.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You are mixing up adjustment of status forms with CR1 forms and you are talking about Direct Consular Filing when (since you have not said) you are not living overseas with the U.S. citizen spouse - so that is not possible.

You also mention that you want to do everything from your country instead of getting a K visa - you want to enter the U.S. with residency.

To do this you are going to need to get married first (if you are not already) and then apply for a CR1.

I would recommend that you click on the Guides tab at the top of this page and read the following Guide:

US Citizen lives in the US & Spouse lives overseas:

-----o Option 1: CR-1 / IR-1 Visa and I-130 Petition Guide, NVC Flowchart

Edited by trailmix

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.