martindart

Wife Renewed Vietnamese passport during visit

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Tonga
Timeline

My wife renewed her Vietnamese passport while she is currently visiting family in Bien Hoa, Vietnam. She renewed it in her maiden name. Will she have any problems coming back in to USA? Her 2-year green card is in her married name along with her Washington State ID card. Any foreseeable problems when she returns May 31, 2009?

Thanks!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
My wife renewed her Vietnamese passport while she is currently visiting family in Bien Hoa, Vietnam. She renewed it in her maiden name. Will she have any problems coming back in to USA? Her 2-year green card is in her married name along with her Washington State ID card. Any foreseeable problems when she returns May 31, 2009?

Thanks!!!

Read this post, next to yours :)

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

A question out of curiousity: would it have been difficult to renew in her married name? just thinking ahead a few years.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Other Country: Tonga
Timeline

Thanks!!!

ChuckandKim, I did review the post before I posted my question here. That being said, I still have concerns as follows:

My wife “renewed” her passport in Vietnam and used her maiden name on the new and renewed passport unlike the (post next to mine) “This is not her legal name at the time of renewal.

The renewed passport Name NOW does not match her Green Card or her Washington State I.D. card.

Why did she choose her maiden name? Heaven only knows, perhaps cheaper? Perhaps the Vietnamese Government could have made it harder for those seeking to renew passports to Vietnamese citizens married to American Man living in USA Who knows?

This I do know,

She had no problems entering back into USA in 2008 using her old passport (then it had one year before it expired) in her maiden name, along with her Washington State ID card and her Green Card in her married last name.

Now, IS there a requirement or regulation stating: (I’m speculating here)

Upon the next expiration of one’s passport then the RENEWED passport MUST list the full and legal name of the person whom is renewing same passport?

In this case, her true and legal name is changed through marriage and because of the expiration of her passport she choose to have it done in Vietnam rather than we sending it to Washington D.C. where the Vietnamese Embassy is located and along with $100.00 USD they will renew it.

This is my concern as she enters the USA soon, “will we have a problem?”

Thanks Chuckand Kim or anyone who might have some thoughts on the matter

Don Nicely

"Anh map" I'll keep ya posted.. =-)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

If she changed her name through marriage, then her legal name is the new name (yours, I presume).

Generally, her marriage to you here is not recognized/registered by Vietnamese authorities, probably unless you both let them know of the marriage and name change and requests the recognition of your marriage by the Vietnamese authorities, and the change in the name that resulted with this - i presume this could be done with the local Vietnamese embassy. Sometimes, getting a marriage recognized overseas is a painfully lengthy and expensive process, so she probably chose to renew it in her maiden name, given probably the time/financial constraints of her visit. If she entered before with her passport, I suppose there will be no problem at the border here, although the previous passport's number that followed her throughout the immigration file is not the same with the number of her new passport, correct? I don't see how the new passport as a legal document though...

11/17/08 : Application sent (I-130, I-131, I-485, I-765)

11/18/08 : Official receipt of documents stated on I-797C (Signature for receipt at USCIS was on 11/17/2008 at 10PM)

11/28/08 : NOA Received ( I-797C) for all 4 forms (forms issued on 11/26/2008)

12/18/2008: LUD on I-130, I-131, I-765

01/29/2009: Bio done

01/29, 30/2009: LUD on I485 and I765

2/10/2009: issued AP, valid 1 year for multiple entries.

2/23/2009: Got EAD card

3/8/2009: LUD on all applications. Shows approval of I131 and I765, still pending on I130, I485.

04/28/2009 at 9:30 AM: Interview. Told to wait 90 days for a resolution by mail.

05/01/2009: Card production ordered.

05/06/2009: Received approval NOAs for I130 and I485 (welcome notice, 10 years card). I130 still shows case received and pending.

06/18/2009: got the 10 years validity card. Process length: 213 days since sending the applications.

No RFE at all along the process.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

martindart,

My wife just returned from her second trip home to Vietnam and she had no trouble returning through immigration at DFW with her passport in maiden name and green card in her married name. When she travels she carries a copy of our marriage certificate in case there are questions.

STL_HCMC

K1 Timeline

12/27/2005...I-129F Sent (Nebraska Service Center)

07/19/2006...Visa Approved

AOS Timeline

01/23/2007...AOS Sent

03/08/2007...AOS Approved

Removing Conditions

01/12/2009...I-751 Sent

06/10/2009...I-751 Approved

Naturalization

03/27/2010...N-400 Sent

11/21/2011...Approval

12/09/2011...Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.