Ju&Ja

Work authorization stamp in JFK

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Ok guys, I had my infopass in LA this morning, this is exactly what happened :

The woman checked my passport and my status on her computer. She then asked me what I wanted.

I asked "I applied for my AOS, EAD, AP at the beginning of May. I got an offer for a job and I would like to know if I can accept the job before to receive my EAD because I have the work authorized stamp on my I-94."

She asked me if I got the Notice of action for my AOS and EAD. I said yes and gave them to her with my biometrics appointment letter.

She said : "Even if you didn't have the stamp on your I-94 you can work. We the immigration don't require a EAD while a green card is pending, it is up to your employer to accept to hire you even if you don't have a green card or an EAD yet. As a pending applicant for your GC you are totally allowed to work."

I asked her again, showing the list of the documents accepted as work authorization> She said "I am positive, if you can find an employer who is ok to hire you without a GC or EAD this is not a problem for the USCIS, you are legal here in the USA and allowed to work, once again, the EAD for somebody pending on the AOS is not a requirement for the USCIS it is a requirement for the employer"

So...?

Hope you got that in writing and have her full name, My employer uses the E-verify system and one lady who we were going to employ had K1 visa I-94 with temp EAD Stamp, so we thought she was good to go! Head of HR did the E-Verify and it came back as "NOT AUTHORIZED TO WORK" so she was not hired.

If all AOS applicants are allowed to work once they have filed for AOS then why do we need to apply for a EAD ? And why do they often ask at your AOS interview if you did any work in the USA before you received your EAD or Greencard?

Good Luck with your job hunting.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Thank you for your reply. What I will do is that I will ask tomorrow to my future employer to do the E-verify thing. If it says "not authorized to work" I will get another infopass, bring the printed E-verify negative reply and ask to the immigration why they can give us bad informations when we come in person for advices. Com'on ! If the officers in LA give the wrong informations, on whom can we count ???

Filed: Other Timeline
Thank you for your reply. What I will do is that I will ask tomorrow to my future employer to do the E-verify thing. If it says "not authorized to work" I will get another infopass, bring the printed E-verify negative reply and ask to the immigration why they can give us bad informations when we come in person for advices. Com'on ! If the officers in LA give the wrong informations, on whom can we count ???

Not all employers use E-verify yet.

Timeline

Ok, and I also found this link : http:/policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/links/0100203500

It is a handbook for SSA employees. If you scroll down and look at the tabs you will read like me, the K1 is in the "Authorized to work without DHS authorization" section. Maybe it is what this girl at the USCIS was talking about ?!?

Filed: Other Timeline

It is a handbook for SSA employees. If you scroll down and look at the tabs you will read like me, the K1 is in the "Authorized to work without DHS authorization" section. Maybe it is what this girl at the USCIS was talking about ?!?

Here's the pinned thread about this topic.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=180237

My post #17 is where I try to explain about Social Security information.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hey VJs,

I read several posts here about this "magic" stamp.

I arrived at the end of february on a K1 visa. I got married in Vegas at the beginning of march so 2 months ago.

I have my SS card saying that I can work with DHS authorization. I have a stamp on my I-94 saying "work authorized until 16 august 2009 (which is the end of my K1 visa validity).

An employer wants to hire me as soon as possible. I read a couple times that now, with this new I-9 the magic stamp is not longer accepted.

So, I went to the SS office this morning and I asked, and they said "We are 100% positive that you can work".

Then, I called the USCIS to be 200% sure. I explained everything, and I said that I read the I-9 handbook and that I didn't find the JFK stamp on I-94 on the list of "official authorized documents accepted". The guy checked and said "Madame I'm positive, you can work if you got this stamp even if you didn't receive the EAD yet".

So, I hope that this post can be helpful for you guys who are in the same situation.

Juliette

They are wrong. It is simple, next time ask the to call the work authorization hotline.

The girl needs to read the revision of 02-02-09

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Well? What did you find out?

You can trust VJ. It is very common to receive bad information from the government agencies that regulate these things. That is why the USCIS phone number is called the "misinformation hotline" C'est La vie.

Can one of the organizers, please, send a VJ subscrition to USCIS!!!!!!!!!!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

The woman checked my passport and my status on her computer. She then asked me what I wanted.

I asked "I applied for my AOS, EAD, AP at the beginning of May. I got an offer for a job and I would like to know if I can accept the job before to receive my EAD because I have the work authorized stamp on my I-94."

She asked me if I got the Notice of action for my AOS and EAD. I said yes and gave them to her with my biometrics appointment letter.

She said : "Even if you didn't have the stamp on your I-94 you can work. We the immigration don't require a EAD while a green card is pending, it is up to your employer to accept to hire you even if you don't have a green card or an EAD yet. As a pending applicant for your GC you are totally allowed to work."

I asked her again, showing the list of the documents accepted as work authorization> She said "I am positive, if you can find an employer who is ok to hire you without a GC or EAD this is not a problem for the USCIS, you are legal here in the USA and allowed to work, once again, the EAD for somebody pending on the AOS is not a requirement for the USCIS it is a requirement for the employer"

So...?

It is incredibly embarassing to me as an American, that our government is so full of untrained, uninformed individuals dealing with immigrants to this country. The SS office has the same problems. No one is trained properly and instead of looking up correct information they make things up and give people bad information.

As an American, let me extend my apologies to you, a new resident, for the total inefficiency and unreliablity of our government. Hopefully the same people will never control our health care.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

So...?

It is incredibly embarassing to me as an American, that our government is so full of untrained, uninformed individuals dealing with immigrants to this country. The SS office has the same problems. No one is trained properly and instead of looking up correct information they make things up and give people bad information.

As an American, let me extend my apologies to you, a new resident, for the total inefficiency and unreliablity of our government. Hopefully the same people will never control our health care.

I'm totally lost and depressed cuz' of this situation. I could be ok and just wait for my EAD but I am very lucky during this bad economic time to find a job. And now I will have to refuse it. I called the SSA today, the girl looked at my file on her computer and she said that it was written "alien allowed to work" so when I asked why on my SS card it was not written the same thing she said "I don't know why". Anyway, I'm too scared to make a mistake so I will just say no for the job. Thanks guys...

Timeline

SSA does not determine who works. Ask any K-1 what it says on their SS card. What does it say on yours?

Gary And Alla

Timeline

So...?

I'm totally lost and depressed cuz' of this situation. I could be ok and just wait for my EAD but I am very lucky during this bad economic time to find a job. And now I will have to refuse it. I called the SSA today, the girl looked at my file on her computer and she said that it was written "alien allowed to work" so when I asked why on my SS card it was not written the same thing she said "I don't know why". Anyway, I'm too scared to make a mistake so I will just say no for the job. Thanks guys...

It says "Alien allowed to work" because you are not specifically NOT allowed to work AND that is what YOU checked on the form when you filled it out. It doesn't matter, the SS card is not an authorization to work, even for citizens, and it is not a valid form of ID. The card is a worthless piece of paper. I LOST mine in 1973 and haven't needed it since. "It doesn't matter what the card says on it or in the computer" is the correct answer. You ARE allowed to work, IF you have the necessary documentation, but the I-94 is NOT the necessary documentation to go with your K-1 visa and the SSA does not make this determination at any rate, they are told your status, by you when you complete the form for a card and number, and by DHS who regulates who can work.

Call the e-verify system. If that verifies you to work, go to work! I am sorry, but I think it will not.

It really is embarrassing the level of training and quality of government workers in this country. THEY have a job and you don't. Makes no sense. I only beg please, do not control my health care!!!!!!!!!! But I will congratulate you on one thing. You are the first to report that a government worker said "I don't know" I am surprised she didn't make up a long winded story and tell you she was 100% sure it was true.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

So...?

It says "Alien allowed to work" because you are not specifically NOT allowed to work AND that is what YOU checked on the form when you filled it out. It doesn't matter, the SS card is not an authorization to work, even for citizens, and it is not a valid form of ID. The card is a worthless piece of paper. I LOST mine in 1973 and haven't needed it since. "It doesn't matter what the card says on it or in the computer" is the correct answer. You ARE allowed to work, IF you have the necessary documentation, but the I-94 is NOT the necessary documentation to go with your K-1 visa and the SSA does not make this determination at any rate, they are told your status, by you when you complete the form for a card and number, and by DHS who regulates who can work.

Call the e-verify system. If that verifies you to work, go to work! I am sorry, but I think it will not.

It really is embarrassing the level of training and quality of government workers in this country. THEY have a job and you don't. Makes no sense. I only beg please, do not control my health care!!!!!!!!!! But I will congratulate you on one thing. You are the first to report that a government worker said "I don't know" I am surprised she didn't make up a long winded story and tell you she was 100% sure it was true.

Thank you for your time and your advice :)

Do you have the number to call for the E-verify thing ?

Juliette

If someone will hire you, then just take the job. The lady at USCIS told you it was ok. SS told you it was ok. Nothing "bad" is going to happen to you if you take a job that is offered. We don't know who is right or wrong in this case, but if an employer thinks your immigration status is ok to be hired, then I say go for it.

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

Hey VJs,

I read several posts here about this "magic" stamp.

I arrived at the end of february on a K1 visa. I got married in Vegas at the beginning of march so 2 months ago.

I have my SS card saying that I can work with DHS authorization. I have a stamp on my I-94 saying "work authorized until 16 august 2009 (which is the end of my K1 visa validity).

An employer wants to hire me as soon as possible. I read a couple times that now, with this new I-9 the magic stamp is not longer accepted.

So, I went to the SS office this morning and I asked, and they said "We are 100% positive that you can work".

Then, I called the USCIS to be 200% sure. I explained everything, and I said that I read the I-9 handbook and that I didn't find the JFK stamp on I-94 on the list of "official authorized documents accepted". The guy checked and said "Madame I'm positive, you can work if you got this stamp even if you didn't receive the EAD yet".

So, I hope that this post can be helpful for you guys who are in the same situation.

Juliette

Yes, you can work because it says you are allowed to work on your I-94. I just don't know what will happen with regards to your employment after August 16, 2009.

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.