Yvie_and_Brett

Here we go, what are we letting ourselves in for?!

217 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Where is everyone moving to when they finally get through this? We're still sorting out Brett's job offers, but it looks like San Antonio, TX or Tampa, FL for us :) I've had enough of crappy English weather and have demanded a few years of sun!

San Antonio will be the final destination for me! :]

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:unsure: D'oh!! I just realised that I goofed my husbands SSN on the forms. The envelope sat in my kitchen for 3 days before I got around to mailing it and I have to wait until the day AFTER I mail it to realise I goofed. So much for him proof reading the forms. Guess I'll just make a note of it for now and wait for them to contact me :whistle:

See what happens when you end up with a cell # only one digit different to the last 4 digits of your husbands SSN :wacko:

Sharon

Applying for visa second time around. Originally moved to US 2002 on a K1 visa. Married Aug 2002 lived there 6 years then moved back to the UK with USC husband and kids. However, we're now looking at moving back, so we're doing the whole visa thing AGAIN.

July 20, 2009 - Mailed I-130 - The waiting begins!!

July 24, 2009 - File date

July 27, 2009 - Credit card charged

Aug 8, 2009 - Email petition receipt

Aug 20, 2009 - I-130 approved

Aug 24, 2009 - Mailed I-407 Abandonment of LPR status

Aug 27, 2009 - Packet 3 Received

Sep 7, 2009 - Mailed DS-230I

Oct 5, 2009 - Medical

Oct 12, 2009 - Mailed DS-2001

Nov 6, 2009 - Received Packet 4/Interview date

**Visa approved Nov 30**

I'm going to be all super-efficient and reply to everyone in one go. It's one of those being-clever things that us girls are good at ;)

Henry has a job in Wisconsin, so no escape from bad weather for me. Humid as hell during the summer and 9 foot of snow in the winter, oh the joy! I plan to hibernate during the winter.

As for your I-864, Yvie, use any info and proof of savings and assets, you'll be fine. And if I don't get to post before, good luck now.

Anyone heard any news from JGA? Do they have their visa?

At least the weather will be alittle more predictable and if you make plans in the summer you'll know you stand a reasonable chance of some sun instead of chancing it like we do over here.

Our I-864 is being submitted with:

3 years tax returns showing $55k, $64k and $73k in 2006, 2007 & 2008 respectively

Brett's CV listing his experience, qualifications, etc (and therefore likelihood of getting a job in a similar salary range to his current position)

Job postings to show what he's looking for

A letter from his US contracting company offering assistance with contract relocation

Affidavit stating intentions re employment if we get the Visa

Evidence of joint assets totalling almost $30k

Hopefully someone with common sense will look at our case and that'll be enough to prove that we don't intend to move over there and sponge off the State for the rest of our lives.

As for JerrysGirlAnn, I haven't seen her post in alittle while. Hopefully she'll come back with some good news when their police certificate substitute comes back fine :)

I honestly think the rainy, grey UK weather is one of the main reasons we're moving back. I've just never been able to acclimatise to it.

Brett would agree with you there. He's from Wyoming where they have 'proper' seasons and he really misses that over here. He also hates how much the light varies throughout the year - he can't deal with it when it gets dark at 4pm or when it's still light at nearly 11pm, he wants to be able to tell what time it is by how dark it is all through the year, lol.

As for the interview, if you look on the regional, UK forum...on page 3, there's a youtube video of the non-immigrant interview process, people have said it's exactly the same as what we'll face. Not formal like I'd expected at all.

Thanks for posting about this, I'd totally missed that thread and it has calmed me down a little bit. I could have done without the Streetview link that followed because now I'm worried about queueing for hours and hours and missing my appointment. My interview is at 9am, but now I'm totally going to be outside that Embassy at 7.30 instead of 8.30 :unsure:

YAY!! A possible friend in the area! If Brett and I end up moving there, we'll have to meet up and compare notes on the best places to find HP sauce and PG Tips, lol.

:unsure: D'oh!! I just realised that I goofed my husbands SSN on the forms...See what happens when you end up with a cell # only one digit different to the last 4 digits of your husbands SSN :wacko:

I won't be at all surprised if I find out on Thursday that I filled in my own date of birth incorrectly! :blink:

Met online ~ February 8th 2007

Met in person ~ March 1st 2007

Moved in together ~ September 20th 2007

Engaged ~ February 8th 2008

Married ~ March 1st 2009

Wedding Certificate received ~ May 6th 2009

Petition posted~ May 7th 2009

NOA1 received ~ May 13th 2009 (6 days)

Petition approved ~ June 2nd 2009 (20 days from NOA1, 26 days total)

NOA2 received ~ June 4th 2009 (22 days from NOA1, 28 days total)

Packet 3 received ~ June 12th 2009 (30 days from NOA1, 36 days total)

Packet 3 returned ~ June 15th 2009

Medical completed ~ 26th June 2009. All clear pending blood results.

Packet 4 received ~ 2nd July 2009 (50 days from NOA1, 56 days total)

Interview ~ 23rd July - APPROVED PENDING ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTATION (71 days from NOA1, 77 days total)

Documents sent to Embassy via SMS ~ 30th July 2009

VISA IN HAND! ~ 5th August (84 days from NOA1, 90 days total)

Current position - PACKING!!!!

Target date of The Big Move ~ October 8th 2009

event.png

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
to be outside that Embassy at 7.30 instead of 8.30 :unsure:

YAY!! A possible friend in the area! If Brett and I end up moving there, we'll have to meet up and compare notes on the best places to find HP sauce and PG Tips, lol.

I've learnt how to make Yorkshire Puddings / Toad in the Hole from scratch so we're sorted on that front! We just now need to learn how to make REAL fish 'n chips and we might be able to survive this transition ;]

I know PG Tips are readily sold in the US, but HP sauce might be another thing entirely :( I'm lucky enough to be married to a US military member so I have access to a huge supermarket on Lakenheath base which sells nothing BUT American food so I've been slowly getting used to eating nothing but US food - Their sausages will never be the same and they don't "do" baked beans whatsoever. Sigh!

Try A1 sauce for HP sauce. It's a steak sauce and tastes pretty similar IMO. The bottles are even the same shape.

Sharon

Applying for visa second time around. Originally moved to US 2002 on a K1 visa. Married Aug 2002 lived there 6 years then moved back to the UK with USC husband and kids. However, we're now looking at moving back, so we're doing the whole visa thing AGAIN.

Oct 5, 2009 - Medical

**Visa approved Nov 30**

I've learnt how to make Yorkshire Puddings / Toad in the Hole from scratch so we're sorted on that front! We just now need to learn how to make REAL fish 'n chips and we might be able to survive this transition ;]

I know PG Tips are readily sold in the US, but HP sauce might be another thing entirely :( I'm lucky enough to be married to a US military member so I have access to a huge supermarket on Lakenheath base which sells nothing BUT American food so I've been slowly getting used to eating nothing but US food - Their sausages will never be the same and they don't "do" baked beans whatsoever. Sigh!

I think we already live pretty close to one another. Brett is working on RAF Molesworth and we shop on RAF Alconbury and RAF Lakenheath quite often. He can't go for too long without his Popeyes, so we're there every couple of weeks, lol.

I found a website that sells HP (even the fruity and BBQ varieties), but it's $3.95 a bottle not including P&P. I'll probably get desperate enough to pay that after a few weeks!

As for A1 sauce, I've tried it and it's okay, but it's just not the same.

Married ~ March 1st 2009

Interview ~ 23rd July - APPROVED PENDING ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTATION (71 days from NOA1, 77 days total)

event.png

I think we already live pretty close to one another. Brett is working on RAF Molesworth and we shop on RAF Alconbury and RAF Lakenheath quite often.

You're quite close to us then. We're only about 10 minutes away from RAF Alconbury. I'm SO jealous. Sigh. I've heard they even have Taco Bell on the base. I'd give anything to get my hands on some good ole American favorites. :D

Met online - June 11, 1997 (at the tender age of 17!)

Met in person - June 25, 1999

Engaged - December 27, 2003

Married - July 23, 2005

Moved to the UK - August 14, 2005

Received ILR - August 9, 2007

Naturalised as UK Citizen! - February 17, 2009

Our DCF Timeline so far...

Posted I-130 - May 30, 2009

NOA1, I-130 received - June 4, 2009

NOA2, I-130 approved - July 16, 2009

Bring on Packet 3!

I think we already live pretty close to one another. Brett is working on RAF Molesworth and we shop on RAF Alconbury and RAF Lakenheath quite often.

You're quite close to us then. We're only about 10 minutes away from RAF Alconbury. I'm SO jealous. Sigh. I've heard they even have Taco Bell on the base. I'd give anything to get my hands on some good ole American favorites. :D

They DO have Taco Bell as well as Subway and Burger King and supermarkets full of ribeye steaks at Tesco value prices, Lucky Charms, Klondike Bars and B&J icecream at less than $3 a tub. They also have petrol at US prices.

We currently live in Kettering, it's about an hour drive to Alconbury along the A14.

Married ~ March 1st 2009

event.png

Hi everyone,

Sorry to hijack this thread but my wife (USC) and I (UKC) are currently applying for a visa via DCF through London and it's all going well at the moment. We got married in March, started the visa process in April and we received our petition approval and packet three this weekend. I've completed the DS-230 and DS 2001 forms but I've got a question about the DS-230 that I'm hoping you might be able to help with as some of you may be in the same situation.

At present we don't have an address in the USA where we plan to live as my wife is working in the UK and we plan to move back together once we have the visa. For now I've put TBC in the relavant boxes but I'm not sure at what point they will need to have an address. Will we need this before/during/after the interview? We know the area that we want to live in (west coast of Florida) and my wife is looking for jobs now that we're getting closer to interview dates etc. Will this delay things? I suppose we could put the address of somebody in my wife's family but this isn't likely to be where we're living. Will that be a problem?

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Lee

We used Brett's (USC) parent's address although we have no intentions of living there... or even in the same State. We'll file a change of address as soon as we've bought our own house.

They'll definitely need an address before they issue the Visa so they know where to send the Green card after POE, but I'm not sure if they'll want it earlier than that or at what point. I'd try to avoid sending in anythign that says "TBC" as you may get RFE'd for not completing the form properly. Perhaps someone with a similar experience will be able to reply more fully if you start a new thread asking for specific advice, other posters may not see it in here :)

Married ~ March 1st 2009

event.png

We used Brett's (USC) parent's address although we have no intentions of living there... or even in the same State. We'll file a change of address as soon as we've bought our own house.

They'll definitely need an address before they issue the Visa so they know where to send the Green card after POE, but I'm not sure if they'll want it earlier than that or at what point. I'd try to avoid sending in anythign that says "TBC" as you may get RFE'd for not completing the form properly. Perhaps someone with a similar experience will be able to reply more fully if you start a new thread asking for specific advice, other posters may not see it in here :)

Thanks for the advice, I'll post a new topic.

I did wonder about the TBC and agree with you but wasn't sure what else to put in there. It does say US address (if known) in the question so I'm hoping it won't be too much of an issue until interview day.

Yvie - good luck for tomorrow. I hope it goes smoothly and they don't give you any hassle with the I-864! Can't wait to hear how it goes! I'll be thinking about you

Married in USA - 24 April 2009

I-130 Sent - 22 June 2009

Petition received and payment taken - 26 June 2009

NOA1 received - 13 July 2009

NOA2 received - 28 July 2009

Packet 3 received - 3 August 2009

Medical booked - 20 August 2009

Packet 3 returned - 6 August 2009

Medical booked for 20 August 2009 - complete pending blood test results

Interview - 14 September - We've been approved!! We've got the visa!!

Tickets booked! Moving on 26 December! Can't wait!!

Yvie - good luck for tomorrow. I hope it goes smoothly and they don't give you any hassle with the I-864! Can't wait to hear how it goes! I'll be thinking about you

We all have our fingers crossed for you, Yvie. Good luck!

I-130

Met in the US: 2002

Married : 2007-08-03

I-130 Sent : 2007-08-13

I-130 NOA1 : 2007-09-26

Abandoned application and OH moved to the UK.

April 2009 starting all over again DCF this time.

Marriage : 2007-08-03

I-130 Sent : 2009-05-02

I-130 NOA1 : 2009-05-06 (no receipt received this is the date the money was taken from credit card)

RFE: 2009-06-02. Credit card receipts and dreaded RFE's.

RFE replied to: 2009-06-04. Hoping they have everything they need

NOA2 approved: 2009-06-11.

NOA2 received: 2009-06-15.

Packet 3 received: 2009-06-17.

Packet 3 returned: 2009-06-17.

Medical booked for July 13th.

Medical done, passed pending xray and blood tests.

July 13th: Still waiting for interview date...phoned DOS and they said everything is in order and we're eligible for an interview and to be patient...back to waiting.

Called DOS again 17th July, they said we have an interview date whoop!!

Interview: July 29th (hubby's birthday) WOOHOO!! Visa approved

SMS message 31st July saying visa will be delivered on Monday.

August 1st: Visa here!!!! whoop whoop!

So much left to do...but the worst is over :)

September 14th: POE Chicago

Real quick question. Now that our papers have been mailed what's the first thing that we should expect to see? E-mail from them or seeing the money come out of the account. I know most likely we won't see anything at all for at least a month. Just wondering.

Sharon

Oct 5, 2009 - Medical

**Visa approved Nov 30**

Real quick question. Now that our papers have been mailed what's the first thing that we should expect to see? E-mail from them or seeing the money come out of the account. I know most likely we won't see anything at all for at least a month. Just wondering.

I never received any email, first thing I saw was the money coming off the credit card. People have said the money being taken is the same date as their NOA1.

I-130

Met in the US: 2002

Married : 2007-08-03

I-130 Sent : 2007-08-13

I-130 NOA1 : 2007-09-26

Abandoned application and OH moved to the UK.

April 2009 starting all over again DCF this time.

Marriage : 2007-08-03

I-130 Sent : 2009-05-02

I-130 NOA1 : 2009-05-06 (no receipt received this is the date the money was taken from credit card)

RFE: 2009-06-02. Credit card receipts and dreaded RFE's.

RFE replied to: 2009-06-04. Hoping they have everything they need

NOA2 approved: 2009-06-11.

NOA2 received: 2009-06-15.

Packet 3 received: 2009-06-17.

Packet 3 returned: 2009-06-17.

Medical booked for July 13th.

Medical done, passed pending xray and blood tests.

July 13th: Still waiting for interview date...phoned DOS and they said everything is in order and we're eligible for an interview and to be patient...back to waiting.

Called DOS again 17th July, they said we have an interview date whoop!!

Interview: July 29th (hubby's birthday) WOOHOO!! Visa approved

SMS message 31st July saying visa will be delivered on Monday.

August 1st: Visa here!!!! whoop whoop!

So much left to do...but the worst is over :)

September 14th: POE Chicago

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.