Yvie_and_Brett

Here we go, what are we letting ourselves in for?!

217 posts in this topic

Sorry, I always forget something after I post! :bonk:

For those of you who got RFE'd for affidavits, did you send them back the originals or photo copies?

I ask because I'm getting them all notarized, even if its not necessary I figured it wouldn't hurt. I'm thinking send photocopies and hold the originals until interview? Or should I send the originals since this first petition element is technically independent of the later visa processing part?

Thanks

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the replies. We've decided not to drag our heals, if the visa gets approved earlier than expected, we'll just take a week or so vacation to the states to "activate" it, which from reading this thread doesn't look like it will be a problem.

I have some more quick questions.

1. Following NOA2 and receipt of packet 3 do we ONLY send in the short form DS-230 and the DS-2001 checklist? Not a single original or photocopy of anything else?

2. Did you send in DS-230 parts 1 and 2, leaving part 2 unsigned until interview, or did you only mail off part 1?

2. Is the i-864 not presented until at the interview?

thanks!

To answer your questions:

1) You only send in the DS-230 and DS-2001 - do not send any other forms. You will need to bring them to the interview

2) I sent both parts, but I think (from what others have said and done) you should only send in the first part. I have had a date issued for our interview, so im guessing it hasn't caused a problem.

3) The I-864 is presented at the interview along with any other supporting documents.

I didn't get an RFE so can't help you there.

Hope this helps! :)

Married in USA - 24 April 2009

I-130 Sent - 22 June 2009

Petition received and payment taken - 26 June 2009

NOA1 received - 13 July 2009

NOA2 received - 28 July 2009

Packet 3 received - 3 August 2009

Medical booked - 20 August 2009

Packet 3 returned - 6 August 2009

Medical booked for 20 August 2009 - complete pending blood test results

Interview - 14 September - We've been approved!! We've got the visa!!

Tickets booked! Moving on 26 December! Can't wait!!

Sorry if the answer to this is obvious or not. Seems I've been caught off guard a lot this week.

I received my packet 3 today. I know from here the steps are to fill out the ds-230 and ds-2001. Do you send back the ds-230 as soon as you fill it out or wait until you are ready and send both forms in at the same time?

I haven't applied for my police cert yet or done the i-864 so needless to say I am not ready yet.

TIA

Sharon

Applying for visa second time around. Originally moved to US 2002 on a K1 visa. Married Aug 2002 lived there 6 years then moved back to the UK with USC husband and kids. However, we're now looking at moving back, so we're doing the whole visa thing AGAIN.

July 20, 2009 - Mailed I-130 - The waiting begins!!

July 24, 2009 - File date

July 27, 2009 - Credit card charged

Aug 8, 2009 - Email petition receipt

Aug 20, 2009 - I-130 approved

Aug 24, 2009 - Mailed I-407 Abandonment of LPR status

Aug 27, 2009 - Packet 3 Received

Sep 7, 2009 - Mailed DS-230I

Oct 5, 2009 - Medical

Oct 12, 2009 - Mailed DS-2001

Nov 6, 2009 - Received Packet 4/Interview date

**Visa approved Nov 30**

Sorry if the answer to this is obvious or not. Seems I've been caught off guard a lot this week.

I received my packet 3 today. I know from here the steps are to fill out the ds-230 and ds-2001. Do you send back the ds-230 as soon as you fill it out or wait until you are ready and send both forms in at the same time?

I haven't applied for my police cert yet or done the i-864 so needless to say I am not ready yet.

TIA

Hi, Sharo,

This should be confirmed with other posters here, but the process described on the embassy website is to

1. Send the DS-230 immediately/asap as that puts you in their system. Then...

2. Gather all your documents and when you're all set with those, go ahead and send in the DS-2001 which says you're ready to move forward and request an interview.

What I don't know is what the maximum amount of time is allowed between submitting your DS-230 and your DS-2001, as everyone on this thread is super organized and submitted them both simultaneously, it looks like just you and me who are submitting the 230 and 2001 independently as we gather up our documents.

A question for those that have had their interview

Did you bring anything else to the interview besides the I-864 form and the other documents listed on DS-2001 form?

Do we need to have pictures of us during our relationship or anything else not already listed on the previous forms?

I am trying to get everything in order for the interview and just wondered what everyone else has done in preparation for the interview.

Did you bring anything else to the interview besides the I-864 form and the other documents listed on DS-2001 form?

Do we need to have pictures of us during our relationship or anything else not already listed on the previous forms?

I am trying to get everything in order for the interview and just wondered what everyone else has done in preparation for the interview.

I took signed affidavits, a few photos from our trips together (only about 20, not loads), a copy of a bank statement in both names and a few other things like that just in case they questioned our relationship, but I didn't need them. Getting married in Jamaica with our fathers as witnesses on the marriage certificate probably went along way to suggest we were bone fide, lol.

In more personal news, Brett has job offers lining up and we're moving to Tampa FL next month!!! We're going househunting next week - we booked the flights last night so how's that for short notice?! lol

WOOHOO! It's finally all coming together ^_^

Edited by Yvie_and_Brett

Met online ~ February 8th 2007

Met in person ~ March 1st 2007

Moved in together ~ September 20th 2007

Engaged ~ February 8th 2008

Married ~ March 1st 2009

Wedding Certificate received ~ May 6th 2009

Petition posted~ May 7th 2009

NOA1 received ~ May 13th 2009 (6 days)

Petition approved ~ June 2nd 2009 (20 days from NOA1, 26 days total)

NOA2 received ~ June 4th 2009 (22 days from NOA1, 28 days total)

Packet 3 received ~ June 12th 2009 (30 days from NOA1, 36 days total)

Packet 3 returned ~ June 15th 2009

Medical completed ~ 26th June 2009. All clear pending blood results.

Packet 4 received ~ 2nd July 2009 (50 days from NOA1, 56 days total)

Interview ~ 23rd July - APPROVED PENDING ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTATION (71 days from NOA1, 77 days total)

Documents sent to Embassy via SMS ~ 30th July 2009

VISA IN HAND! ~ 5th August (84 days from NOA1, 90 days total)

Current position - PACKING!!!!

Target date of The Big Move ~ October 8th 2009

event.png

I took signed affidavits, a few photos from our trips together (only about 20, not loads), a copy of a bank statement in both names and a few other things like that just in case they questioned our relationship, but I didn't need them. Getting married in Jamaica with our fathers as witnesses on the marriage certificate probably went along way to suggest we were bone fide, lol.

In more personal news, Brett has job offers lining up and we're moving to Tampa FL next month!!! We're going househunting next week - we booked the flights last night so how's that for short notice?! lol

WOOHOO! It's finally all coming together ^_^

Thanks Yvie! I am going crazy trying to get everything together. So glad when this is over!

Congratulations to Brett (and you) on the job offers. That is amazing news. Tampa sounds like a great place to move to.

Good luck with the househunting. Hope you are able to find something great.

I-864 question...

I am in the middle of completing the I-864 form and had a few questions regarding the sections:

For Part 4 - information on the sponsor

It asks for my mailing address - do I put my UK address or US address?

It asks for country of domicile - do I put UK as that is where I am currently living, or US as I am establishing domicile there?

Just to double check - since I am going to use my assets in the US for sponsoring my husband (as I don't have a continual income when over there) I only need to have 3 times the poverty level in assets? Is that correct?

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would let everyone know that we were approved yesterday! We have the visa!! :dance::dance:

Our experience was actually really good and not as daunting as I thought. The whole process took about 4 hours I think - from actually arriving at the Embassy to leaving.

The security staff were really jokey so that helped to break the ice a little. Once we arrived, were given a number and told to go into the main room. There were loads of people all sitting like zombies, just waiting for their number to be called. We were called to a window (about 20 minutes after arriving in the building), where they took the I-864 form from us and my tax returns and transcripts. They took my husband’s fingerprints and took the paperwork that is listed on the interview list: marriage certificate, police certificate, his birth certificate etc. We then had to go to another window and pay $400 and then went back to the guy to be told to go and wait until our number is called again by a US consulate officer.

The second wait was pretty grueling. We both tried to read, but couldn’t concentrate. We just sat and waited until we were called. We were finally called to a window and were asked how we met and when. If we had jobs in the US and where we would be living. The lady was friendly, but not overly so. She wasn’t rude but was just getting on with it.

We actually had to ask her if we had been issued the visa. It was quite funny. After she asked all the questions, she said that she needed to verify his fingerprints, but her computer wasn't working properly so we had to wait to use the one at the next window. As we were standing there waiting, we asked her if we have been granted the visa and she said 'Yes, you have.' No congratulations or anything. It was really funny. I burst into tears - just pure relief! I couldn't believe that we were granted it. I kept expecting them to ask for further documentation.

BTW - it only costs £3 to store your electronic devices at the pharmacy down the road.

Edited by sharpies

Congratulations Sharpies, pleased you got accepted.

I had my interview today and unfortunately ended up in the same situation as Yvie and Brett i.e. approved pending a joint sponsor as my wife's income won't count as she is living in the UK. I was a little disappointed because between us we have assets at over 50% more than the 3 times poverty line level required but they weren't willing to consider my house as an asset in the 'current climate'. Seems a little odd but I wasn't going to argue. I feel really disappointed and a little let down by it but I'm sure I'll see the positives in a few days.

The long and short of it is that we will either need to sell the house and get money in my account from it and resubmit the i864 or ask my in-laws to be joint sponsors. They've already offered so it won't be a problem and we think this will be the quicker route to getting visa approval.

I do have a couple of questions about the joint sponsorship that I'm hoping somebody can help with. I know my in-laws will need to submit an I864 (each if they both need to sponsor) but I'm not sure about the household size. From what I've read we wouldn't be classed as being in the same household as we won't be living with them but in the I864 it says that you need to include the intending immigrant in the household size. Therefore should the total household size on the joint sponsor's I864 be 2 (in-laws) or 3 (in-laws + me) or 4 (in-laws + me + my wife)?

Any help you can provide would be very appreciated!

Thanks.

Lee

Firstly, some news of my own. We got back from Tampa on Monday and we've found a house. 4 bedrooms, pool, 3-car garage and about 2150sqft. Brett also finalised his job situation while we were out there, so we're all set to go and I'm currently devoting my life to packing! He bought me a Tampa Buccaneers shirt while we were there as they're now my team (I'm not a football fan, but apparently "that'll change" when he's forced a season ticket onto me - strange behaviour for a Raiders fan, haha!!)

Just thought I would let everyone know that we were approved yesterday! We have the visa!! :dance::dance:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm SO pleased for you!!!

Congratulations Sharpies, pleased you got accepted.

I had my interview today and unfortunately ended up in the same situation as Yvie and Brett i.e. approved pending a joint sponsor as my wife's income won't count as she is living in the UK.

SNIP

I do have a couple of questions about the joint sponsorship that I'm hoping somebody can help with. I know my in-laws will need to submit an I864 (each if they both need to sponsor) but I'm not sure about the household size. From what I've read we wouldn't be classed as being in the same household as we won't be living with them but in the I864 it says that you need to include the intending immigrant in the household size. Therefore should the total household size on the joint sponsor's I864 be 2 (in-laws) or 3 (in-laws + me) or 4 (in-laws + me + my wife)?

Any help you can provide would be very appreciated!

Thanks.

Lee

Firstly, BOO. I'm sorry you ended up like we did, but hopefully it'll be just as simple to get out of it too :)

Secondly, one of your ILs needs to complete an I-864 and the other completes an I-864a.

Thirdly, the household size should be three - IL1, IL2 and you, unless there are any other dependants involved. Don't bother including your wife because she doesn't need to be supported for the purposes of this form.

Finally, GOOD LUCK!

Edited by Yvie_and_Brett

Met online ~ February 8th 2007

Met in person ~ March 1st 2007

Moved in together ~ September 20th 2007

Engaged ~ February 8th 2008

Married ~ March 1st 2009

Wedding Certificate received ~ May 6th 2009

Petition posted~ May 7th 2009

NOA1 received ~ May 13th 2009 (6 days)

Petition approved ~ June 2nd 2009 (20 days from NOA1, 26 days total)

NOA2 received ~ June 4th 2009 (22 days from NOA1, 28 days total)

Packet 3 received ~ June 12th 2009 (30 days from NOA1, 36 days total)

Packet 3 returned ~ June 15th 2009

Medical completed ~ 26th June 2009. All clear pending blood results.

Packet 4 received ~ 2nd July 2009 (50 days from NOA1, 56 days total)

Interview ~ 23rd July - APPROVED PENDING ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTATION (71 days from NOA1, 77 days total)

Documents sent to Embassy via SMS ~ 30th July 2009

VISA IN HAND! ~ 5th August (84 days from NOA1, 90 days total)

Current position - PACKING!!!!

Target date of The Big Move ~ October 8th 2009

event.png

Thanks Yvie,

Have re-read your posts and they've helped cheer me up a bit because it didn't seem too much of a set back for you and only caused a two week delay.

Glad to hear that everything is working out for you, sounds very exciting. Bizarrely we're also moving to Florida and hopefully the Tampa area so I'll be interested to hear about your experiences with the job hunting etc. Good luck with everything!

Cheers,

Lee

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Yvie - how is it going? Hope everything is falling into place for you and Brett.

Great news about the house. Sounds amazing!! Good luck for the move

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Since I love this thread I'm going to post this question here (kind of directed at Yvie if she is still around).

I am the USC sponsor for my wife and I can't *really* prove the 125% poverty requirement for the 864. Actually I can, but just barely, and reading others posts here it looks like the London embassy is going to ask me for a joint sponsor since I'm just barely over the threshold.

My question is this. I filed DCF and we're living in London, but in fact I'm using my father's address for all my US correspondence etc. Instead of having him file an 864 as a joint sponsor, I could have him file an 864A as a member of the household, and just add his income to my main 864, isn't that correct? Do you think the embassy will frown upon that at all?

The main reason is, a joint sponsor is directly responsible for my wife for 10 years, whereas with the 864A he is directly responsible to ME for 10 years to help maintain my wife above poverty. While the practical effect is obviously the same, I much prefer the language of the 864A (a contract with me as opposed to a contract with the government).

Thanks in advance and congrats to all the "graduates" from this post!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.