Roka22

Signature on Naturalization Certificate

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hmm... well here is something UNofficial that might still be helpful...

http://www.***removed***/citizenship/import...ralization.html

What exactly did you have a question about? blush.gif

Edited by Kathryn41

The above is not legal advice.

It is either from research or merely my opinion.

smiley-6061.png

vjsig.jpg

Timeline

You need to sign it exactly as it appears on the certificate.

http://www.newcitizen.us/after.html

http://www.immigration-information.com/for...hread.php?t=636

Edited by Kathryn41

smiley-6061.png

vjsig.jpg

Timeline
Thank you MsAnn!

You're welcome but please don't just take my answer :star: Others may have a different point of view or experience. I have yet to see something official on this.

smiley-6061.png

vjsig.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

I had read that you are supposed to sign the pictures and certificate legible and your full names, no matter what your signature usually is like. But I also read that this practice recently seems to have changed. And sure enough, my IO stressed that I should sign the pictures the way I usually sign anything "If your bank accepts that signature, than that's a valid signature." So I used my usual signature with middle name initial on my pictures and therefore also on my naturalization certificate (since they have to match). It makes sense in my eyes. Why would I sign everything (checks, loans, contracts, driver's license, passport etc.) in one way and then sign just the naturalization certificate in another way?

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My wife had a private oath ceramony so she was able to have a 1 to 1 discustion with the USCIS officer that had to attend the oath ceramony, The officer told her that she had to sign the certificate "Susan Jane Doe" not her usual signature of "Susan Doe". The Photographs she had to sign on the day of her interview were just with her usual signature "Susan Doe".

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

"I certify that the description given is true, and that photograph affixed hereto is a likeness of me"

(Complete and true signature of holder)

Your name is already typed in by the USCIS, by the way, you are suppose to check your certificate for accuracy before signing it, the USCIS is also noted for typos, but that is your responsibility to check it.

The only other information about you is your date of birth, your sex that is limited to either being a male or a female, your height in feet and inches, your marital status, either married or single, and the country of your former nationality.

Wife was instructed to print her name on her photograph on the left white area of her photograph, that was a challenge as she has a long name, so she printed it using very small letters.

The name you see on your certificate should be identical to the name you typed in on Part 1 A. of your N-400 application and the full middle name you typed in if you have one will appear on your certificate.

The real challenge you are faced with, is writing your signature exactly the way it is printed on your certificate. In other words, copying it verbatim. Wife did not sign this in front of an IO, she signed it at home, ha, I was there making her practice it, didn't want to make another long trip to the USCIS, and also checked her certificate for accuracy to save yet another long trip, it's good to be awake first.

You sign your US passport the same way, at home, after checking it first.

"I certify that the description given is true, and that photograph affixed hereto is a likeness of me"

(Complete and true signature of holder)

Your name is already typed in by the USCIS, by the way, you are suppose to check your certificate for accuracy before signing it, the USCIS is also noted for typos, but that is your responsibility to check it.

The only other information about you is your date of birth, your sex that is limited to either being a male or a female, your height in feet and inches, your marital status, either married or single, and the country of your former nationality.

Wife was instructed to print her name on her photograph on the left white area of her photograph, that was a challenge as she has a long name, so she printed it using very small letters.

The name you see on your certificate should be identical to the name you typed in on Part 1 A. of your N-400 application and the full middle name you typed in if you have one will appear on your certificate.

The real challenge you are faced with, is writing your signature exactly the way it is printed on your certificate. In other words, copying it verbatim. Wife did not sign this in front of an IO, she signed it at home, ha, I was there making her practice it, didn't want to make another long trip to the USCIS, and also checked her certificate for accuracy to save yet another long trip, it's good to be awake first.

You sign your US passport the same way, at home, after checking it first.

One quick question, since I don't have a middle name, should I leave that part on the N400 blank or should I type in N/A? I don't want them to put N/A as my middle name on the certificate in the future when they actually print it. :wacko:

N-400

5/29/2010 - USPS Express Mail Out N-400

6/2/2010 - Priority date

6/9/2010 - Check cashed

6/11/2010 - NOA in my mail box

6/17/2010 - Able to see case status "Initial Review"

6/18/2010 - LUD

7/2/2010 - Called mis-information line to put in a service request for STILL HAVEN'T RECEIVED "FP NOTICE"

7/8/2010 - LUD, at 2:32am, received text msg and e-mail for req. for add'l evidence being mailed out on July 6th, believe it's for the FP

7/12/2010 - Received FP notice in mail, scheduled for 8/2/2010

7/15/2010 - Walk in FP

7/22/2010 - Online status changed to "Case sent to local office for interview schedule"

7/27/2010 - Received interview letter for 8/23/2010

8/23/2010 - Passed interview, was informed that next oath date is 9/22/2010 and oath letter will come in the mail

9/3/2010 - Received oath letter in the mail for 9/22/2010

Disclaimer: All comments, advice and information are given out by my kind intention, please use them at your own risk and do not hold me liable or responsible for any inaccuracy.

Timeline
Thank you so much for all the responses.

Will the passport signature need to match the signature on the Nat. Cert?

Thanks again!

Since the middle name says if applicable, I would be tempted to leave it blank or type in some ----- .

When we filed for the passport, used the same name as in the certificate, so requested that my wife sign that the same way. LOL, she gets stubborn about that, don't know why, but has developed a very unique artistic signature, just said, save that for everything else. But her full signature is on our marriage certificate, judge told her to sign it that way, she didn't argue with the judge. :rofl:

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks again!

Since the middle name says if applicable, I would be tempted to leave it blank or type in some ----- .

When we filed for the passport, used the same name as in the certificate, so requested that my wife sign that the same way. LOL, she gets stubborn about that, don't know why, but has developed a very unique artistic signature, just said, save that for everything else. But her full signature is on our marriage certificate, judge told her to sign it that way, she didn't argue with the judge. :rofl:

My USA Passport lists my middle name but I did not sign it with my middle name, just my usual everyday signature, same with my marriage certificate, just my usual signature. so I dont think it makes that much of a diffrence. nobody has every questioned the way I have my passport signed and why would it need to match your citizen certificate you wont have your certificate with you when you travel.

Timeline

Thanks again!

My USA Passport lists my middle name but I did not sign it with my middle name, just my usual everyday signature, same with my marriage certificate, just my usual signature. so I dont think it makes that much of a diffrence. nobody has every questioned the way I have my passport signed and why would it need to match your citizen certificate you wont have your certificate with you when you travel.

It's such a minor issue and never know when you are going to run into a hard head, so why risk it?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.