babyvet18fe

Bringing a child from outside of the us...

16 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Uruguay
Timeline

I need help. I am a US citizen and my husband is currently in the process of the AOS. My question is:

My husband's son (my stepson) would like to come live with us. He is turning 18 in September so we were married before he turned 18 and therefor is legally my stepson.

What is the fastest and least expensive way to get him here?

Thank you,

Jamie

-Jamie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You the step parent file an I-130 for step child, this is the same for a spouse other than it does not need G-325A forms.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline
I need help. I am a US citizen and my husband is currently in the process of the AOS. My question is:

My husband's son (my stepson) would like to come live with us. He is turning 18 in September so we were married before he turned 18 and therefor is legally my stepson.

Thank you,

Jamie

What about that "following-to-join"? Would that take longer?

-Jamie

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thank you,

Jamie

no, FTJ would be the fastest because you start with the consulate... just contact them and ask them how to proceed... you ought to complete the process in a short period of time... Cheapest would be IR visa by a few hundered dollars because you avoid the $1,010 in AOS fees

YMMV

Timeline

Thank you,

Jamie

I was reading and it looks like that if I file the I-130 I will have to wait for an available visa number...where as the "follwing to join" wouldn't require an available visa number. The downside with that appears to be that I would have to wait for my husband to actually have the green card before we could use this option...is that correct?

-Jamie

Timeline

Thank you,

Jamie

Yes FTJ would be simpler but not cheaper, you need to contact the consulate about the K-2 visa. FTJ needs to be done within 1 year of the K-1 Edited by YuAndDan

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Timeline

Thank you,

Jamie

Yes FTJ would be simpler but not cheaper, you need to contact the consulate about the K-2 visa. FTJ needs to be done within 1 year of the K-1

But would I have to wait until my husband has the green card before I can apply for the ftj?

-Jamie

Timeline

Thank you,

Jamie

Yes FTJ would be simpler but not cheaper, you need to contact the consulate about the K-2 visa. FTJ needs to be done within 1 year of the K-1

But would I have to wait until my husband has the green card before I can apply for the ftj?

NO, why do you think so? It would be based on the already approved I-129F.

YMMV

Timeline

Thank you,

Jamie

I was reading and it looks like that if I file the I-130 I will have to wait for an available visa number...where as the "follwing to join" wouldn't require an available visa number. The downside with that appears to be that I would have to wait for my husband to actually have the green card before we could use this option...is that correct?

Child (Natural or qualifying step) get an immediately available visa number... no wait.....

What is an IR Visa ?

Immediate Relative

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Timeline
What is an IR Visa ?
Immediate Relative

This is applied for by filing an I-130.

Timeline

Thank you,

Jamie

NO, why do you think so? It would be based on the already approved I-129F.

Well because it says

•Form I-824, Application for Action on an Approved Application or Petition

•A copy of the original application or petition that you used to apply for your immigrant status

•A copy of the I-797 Notice of Action for your original application or petition

•A copy of your alien registration receipt card or I-551

•Proof that the child meets the appropriate criteria for Following-to-Join Benefits

He doesn't have an alien registration receipt card or I-551...I thought that was something that he got when he became a permenant resident...

-Jamie

Timeline

wouldn't I have still have to file an AOS with both the IR Visa and the FTJ Visa? Don't the visas both just get him here and then once he is here I would have to follow the same process after that?

-Jamie

Timeline
wouldn't I have still have to file an AOS with both the IR Visa and the FTJ Visa? Don't the visas both just get him here and then once he is here I would have to follow the same process after that?

NO, an IR visa comes eligible for greencard immediately upon entry and is automatic... no added processing

YMMV

Timeline

NO, an IR visa comes eligible for greencard immediately upon entry and is automatic... no added processing

Wow that's great, thank you so much for all of your help!

-Jamie

-Jamie

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.