JayandZou

How can my fiance get his EAD stamp at POE?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi All,

I noticed that some fiance's seem to get their EAD (temp work permit) when they fly through JFK. What is the procedure for my Moroccan fiance getting this EAD there? Does he need to be working in a specific industry or need any papers for this? I would love him to get it so he can work when he gets here. I live in Los Angeles but maybe I can route him through JFK before flying on to CA.

Please let me know what he needs to do to get this. He has his interview in a few weeks but I'm just trying to think ahead and positively.

Thanks!

Background

January 30, 2008.....Met when having lunch in a hotel in Tangier, Morocco

April, August, November 2008.....3 trips back to Morocco

December 7, 2008.....Engaged

February 2009.....4th Visit to Zouhir in Morocco

May 2009.....5th Visit to Zouhir in Morocco

USCIS - 129F Journey

January 10, 2009.....Sent I-129F to CSC

January 14, 2009.....NOA 1

March 19, 2009..... NOA 2

March 30, 2009.....NVC Received

April 1, 2009.....NVC Sent to Casablanca

April 6, 2009..... Arrived at Casablanca Consulate

April 17, 2009....Received Package 3

May 13, 2009.... INTERVIEW in Casablanca. APPROVED!

May 19, 2009..... Visa in Hand

May, 29, 2009.....Zouhir in US

July 18, 2009..... MARRIED :)

AOS Journey

August 10, 2009..... Sent AOS to Chicago

August 12, 2009..... AOS Signed for in Chicago

August 17, 2009..... NOA 1 for AOS, EAD & AP

Sept 16, 2009.....Biometrics completed

Oct 1, 2009... Approval of AOS, EAD & AP

Nov 4, 2009.....AOS appointment - Zouhir Approved for his Green Card

Nov, 18, 2009.....Greencard in Hand!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

It has been said that the temp EAD is not going to be valid anymore for a K1 to get a job. They will need the actual EAD in order to work.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=180237

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
If they can't work then why is JFK still giving them out

K-1 is NOT a work visa, it is a fiancee visa, its purpose is to enter the USA and MARY the person who filed the petition.

K-1 is treated as work auth, so that the SSA can issue a SSN so that the K-1 holder can apply for and receive a SSN, many states will not issue a marriage license unless both persons applying for the license have a SSN.

JFK was issuing the stamp so that the K-1 would have less problems at the SSA office when applying for a SSN.

IF work is a priority, the best option is to marry first and the file for a spousal CR-1 visa, this visa gets work authorization upon entry to the USA, this is granted by the green-card.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Well the stamp given specifically says "TEMPORARY EAD" (at least that's what my husbands says from 2006) sooo....... I get what you're saying but if it blantantly says temporary ead then one would think that's what it is....

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Timeline
Well the stamp given specifically says "TEMPORARY EAD" (at least that's what my husbands says from 2006) sooo....... I get what you're saying but if it blantantly says temporary ead then one would think that's what it is....

Hi All,

Thanks for your comments but it still feels confusing. I wonder if the Consulate in Casablanca would know anything about them. They seem to respond my emails fairly promptly.

Do you know there is an government agency to email or call about this?

Thanks,

Jayme

Background

USCIS - 129F Journey

AOS Journey

Timeline

USCIS or the TSA

Edited by MrsAmera

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi All,

Thanks for your comments but it still feels confusing. I wonder if the Consulate in Casablanca would know anything about them. They seem to respond my emails fairly promptly.

Thanks,

Jayme

it does not matter if your husband gets the stamp or not. As of the begining of April the accepted documents that are accepted when a new employee completes the I-9 form have changed and a K1 visa with unexpired I-94 and temp EAD stamp are no longer in the accepted list. So the employer will not be able to verify his work status, so cant employ him.

He will have to wait until you are married and then file for EAD along with his AOS.

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi All,

Thanks,

Jayme

When he comes through immigration at JFK, he just has to ask for it. That is what my then fiance and many others have done. No special paperwork required. They just stamp the back of the I-94.

Maggie

08-07-06 I129 NOA1

02-05-07 Visa in Hand

02-13-07 POE JFK w/temp EAD

02-23-07 Civil Marriage

06-17-07 Wedding

08-13-07 Card received in mail

04-14-09 Trip to Maui for Anniversary

06-04-09 Filed to lift conditions

08-13-09 Perm Card received

Timeline

Well that changes things. Like I said ours was stamped in 2006 I wasn't aware that the rules had changed. That's too bad that they have...now not only does it take forever to actually get the green card processed your SO will have to sit here for that full year. Sorta makes me wonder why they have a K1 visa at all?

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
USCIS or the TSA
NOT TSA

Department of Homeland Security is the department that grants work permissions, USCIS and CBP are parts of DHS, CBP handles the POE, USCIS handles immigrations.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Well that changes things. Like I said ours was stamped in 2006 I wasn't aware that the rules had changed. That's too bad that they have...now not only does it take forever to actually get the green card processed your SO will have to sit here for that full year. Sorta makes me wonder why they have a K1 visa at all?

people who enter on a k-1 visa, and then marry. then you adjust status (and file for EAD and AP). people frequently get EAD and AP with in 2 months. the conditional green card takes a but longer (though usually less than a year. maybe 6 months?) but you are authorized to work once you get the EAD.

21 oct 08 : i-129F sent / 22 oct 08 : NOA1 / 23 feb 09: NOA2 / 13 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 3' / 28 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 4' / 20 apr 09 : interview / 22 apr 09 : passport/visa delivery by courier / 29 apr 09 : POE @ PHL / <3 05 may 09 : married <3 / 06 jul 09 : AOS submitted / 09 jul 09 : NOA for EAD/AP/i-485 / 28 jul 09 : biometrics / 31 aug 09 : AP rec'd / 02 sep 09 : EAD rec'd / 19 oct 09 : conditional green card rec'd

16 jul 11 : i-751 sent to VSC (fedex)

18 jul 11 : fedex confirmed delivery; NOA1 generated

20 jul 11 : NOA1 notice rec'd; check cashed; touch

26 jul 11 : NOA2 generated

28 jul 11 : NOA2 biometrics appt letter rec'd

29 jul 11 : letter req biometrics appt rescheduling sent

09 aug 11 : biometrics appt (could not attend); NOA3 generated

11 aug 11 : NOA3 (rescheduled) biometrics appt letter rec'd

24 aug 11 : biometrics appt

14 oct 11 : conditional green card expiry date

16 nov 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR online

18 nov 11 : mailed i-865 for USC

22 nov 11 : moved house; NOA4 change of address for USC rec'd

13 dec 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR by phone

29 dec 11 : filed hardcopy AR-11 for LPR by mail

18 jan 12 : 6 month mark ROC

05 apr 12 : approval letter rec'd

16 jul 12 : n-400 filing window opens

immediate concerns:

none, immigration-wise.

Timeline

people who enter on a k-1 visa, and then marry. then you adjust status (and file for EAD and AP). people frequently get EAD and AP with in 2 months. the conditional green card takes a but longer (though usually less than a year. maybe 6 months?) but you are authorized to work once you get the EAD.

Thanks for all the clarifications.

Background

USCIS - 129F Journey

AOS Journey

Timeline

Wow they must have really sped up things then because it took us 7 months to get the ead

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

2 months to get an EAD??? Not in our experience! Nor the experiences of my husband's other friends from Egypt who came here under the same process... We didn't even get an appointment for Biometrics in 3 months! Had to call my Congressman's office for help! They refused to give my husband the Temp EAD stamp at JFK... so flying through there didn't do any good... Sounds like it's totally worthless now.... :rolleyes:

I've read how the Ombudsman at the USCIS has presented several papers showing what a hardship it is on couples who use the K-1 Visa process to sit around twiddling their thumbs waiting for the EAD to come... But the Social Security Admin. always counters that issuing ANY EAD and SS# prior to the Green Card appoval increases fraud and claim that this practice helps those who come here with no intention to Adjust Status... And they want to do away with all EAD's!!!! BLAH BLAH BLAH....

Like there aren't 50,000,000, people working and living here illegally who never bothered to get ANY VISA!!!! A prominent Immigration attorney in my area once told me he's never had a client from Mexico... they don't bother to fight anything.. they just accept deporation and a free trip home... only to come back when their finances get low... Go Figure... While we sit around here turning cartwheels and doing backflips following the law to the LETTER, paying $1010 to be treated at times like dirt, all the while being suspected of everything from fraud to being gullable PAWNS being manipulated by heathens who are potentially terrorist... What a pleasant process... :ranting:

Rather than allowing engaged couples a little "breathing room" to get to know one another in this country and allow the immigrant to MAYBE be a TINY BIT financially independent during that period.. (if they are lucky enough to find a job!) Many couples must rush to the alter, cough up $1010 and file that AOS packet at the speed of lightening and then WAIT AND WAIT for the right of the newly arrived immigrant to compete with zillions of other people for a minimum wage job....

There just has to be a better way....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.