junyeon82

K-1 about to expire yet no social security. Help!

40 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

Hi,

My fiancee applied for her social security card after 14 days upon her arrival in US.

After a month, we didn't get the card so we checked back with the SSA and they said it might take up to another 2-3 weeks because of their error.

I'm getting worried because her visa is about to expire and we can't get married because we don't have marriage license.

Is there a way for USCIS to extend her K-1 Visa? I mean we're trying to get married but we just can't!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
so why can't you get married and do the AOS then at this point apply for EAD, AP, and SSA?

In Missouri, we need social security # to get a marriage license.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
so why can't you get married and do the AOS then at this point apply for EAD, AP, and SSA?

:unsure:

UpdatedTimeline.jpg

You know this because you spoke to a person at your local 'marriage license issuing' office? Or it was on a web site?

If it is indeed true - go to another state. Do not miss getting married within 90-days of entering the US.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

according to this site http://recorder.sccmo.org/recorder/index.p...4&Itemid=18

Foreign applicants must present their valid government issued ID along with a certified English translation of all non-English identification used. If a translator is needed, arrangements for an appointment with our office must be made well in advance.

Shot Gun wedding at Vegas sounds fun also!!

UpdatedTimeline.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Marriage laws are State dependant. Some States require each party to have a SS#.

I agree with Karin, go to another State to get married.

timeline.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi,

My fiancee applied for her social security card after 14 days upon her arrival in US.

After a month, we didn't get the card so we checked back with the SSA and they said it might take up to another 2-3 weeks because of their error.

I'm getting worried because her visa is about to expire and we can't get married because we don't have marriage license.

Is there a way for USCIS to extend her K-1 Visa? I mean we're trying to get married but we just can't!

With US Entry on 03-14-09, the I-94 expires on or about 06-12-09... It would seem you have a little bit of time yet...

YMMV

What does your county clerk say?

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Timeline

Jackson County, Mo County Clerk

APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS

1) Both parties must appear together at the Record of Deeds office.

2) Both must be at least 18 years old to marry without parental consent. CLICK HERE for application requirements for those wishing to marry after their 15th birthday but prior to turning 18 -- as well as legal guidelines for marriages of individuals under 15 years old

3) Both must provide their Social Security numbers.

4) Both must have proper documentation.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS

2) Both must be at least 18 years old to marry without parental consent. CLICK HERE for application requirements for those wishing to marry after their 15th birthday but prior to turning 18 -- as well as legal guidelines for marriages of individuals under 15 years old

WHEN doe the I-94 expire?

YMMV

APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS

I just spoke to the recorder of deeds (in Jackson County Mo.) and asked her if it was required. She said no - all your fiancé will need to do is sign a document/form stating she does not have one (a SSN). (She will need her passport though.)

(816) 881-1577

Question asked:

"My fiancé is from out of the country - does she need a social security number/card to get a marriage license?"

:thumbs:

(This is why I asked if you spoke to a person or read it on the web site - many states list SSN as a requirement, but have the same/similar rules for folks who don't have one)

APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS

I just spoke to the recorder of deeds (in Jackson County Mo.) and asked her if it was required. She said no - all your fiancé will need to do is sign a document/form stating she does not have one (a SSN). (She will need her passport though.)

(816) 881-1577

Question asked:

"My fiancé is from out of the country - does she need a social security number/card to get a marriage license?"

:thumbs:

(This is why I asked if you spoke to a person or read it on the web site - many states list SSN as a requirement, but have the same/similar rules for folks who don't have one)

:thumbs: Good detective work...

Edited by Bobby_Umit

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.