baron555

Passport for Son?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

My fiancee will be immigrating from Russia to here using the K-1 along with her little adopted son.

A couple of questions:

1. Does he need his own Russian passport or can he just be added to hers?

2. Once we marry and file for AOS and AP, will both of them get an AP?

3. Then when we want to go back to Russia to visit her family, they can use their Russian passport to enter and the AP to return?

Tnx in advance, Phil

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
My fiancee will be immigrating from Russia to here using the K-1 along with her little adopted son.

A couple of questions:

3. Then when we want to go back to Russia to visit her family, they can use their Russian passport to enter and the AP to return?

Tnx in advance, Phil

1) highly suggested but not required if resident on parental passport. However, they then must travel together... child is not able to travel solo

2) Only if you apply for AP for both

3) Russian passport & AP to return

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

A couple of questions:

Tnx in advance, Phil

1. Gosh, I strongly suggest it! Until he has his own passport he cannot travel without your fiancee. May sound trivial now, but what about when he is older or you want him to travel with you? We have just gone through this and it cost us $200 and a bunch of heartache plus having to re-arrange our younger sons school year because he is in his mother's passport and cannot travel without her. We were told by the Ukrainian consulate in NY he could and they would issue a travel document to travel without Alla, but then OOPS, they made a mistake, AFTER we bought plane tickets. Ukrainian citizens CAN get a passport here, but it takes 4-6 months! So Alla and Pasha will travel together, then Alla will get him his own passport while they are there this summer. It was one mistake we made in the process and I would advise getting his own passport ASAP (incidentally, at least for Ukrainians, renewing a passport here at the consulate is fairly easy, so we are told, but they made a mistake before)

2. Yes. You will have to file an I-485 for the son and the fee is $600 (under age 14 and filed at same time as the K-1 holder) Wait. The AP is free if filed with the I-485 and yes, they will both get them. I have APs for both Alla and Pasha, but they came after the green card was approved. Be prepared with more of those passport photos. :)

3. Yes. Except if they have the green card you can frame the AP and hang it on the wall, except your Alla may object as mine did as the photo is TERRIBLE! It is basically a xerox of a photo. LOL

A couple of questions:

Tnx in advance, Phil

1) highly suggested but not required if resident on parental passport. However, they then must travel together... child is not able to travel solo

2) Only if you apply for AP for both

3) Russian passport & AP to return

Exactly, I guess I meant, they will both get an AP if you apply for both, it is not automatic that the son gets anything but he is eligible. Sorry

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.