July09Bride

About the Canuck Clearinghouse Thread...

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I was just going through the Canuck Clearinghouse Thread, looking for info on the actual Clearinghouse info (exchanging US $$$ into Canadian $$$ to continue paying Canadian bills, students loans, etc.) and that thread hasn't been touched or updated in a longgg while. Why is that? It looked to be a really good resource!

But, back to my original purpose, does someone have a link to information (either here on VJ or another site) about how to sign up for the Clearinghouse?

Thanks!

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

customhouse.com is the best resource I've found to exchange $$ from CAD to USD or vice versa and it's free!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline
customhouse.com is the best resource I've found to exchange $$ from CAD to USD or vice versa and it's free!

That's what it was!!! Thanks, JillA!!!

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline

That's what it was!!! Thanks, JillA!!!

Definitely sign up! Flames will tell you too, he's a big customhouse supporter LOL I use it every 2 weeks to transfer me EI into our US account! I love how it's free of course

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I need to find that link--as I gave step by step instructions on how to do it! It is very easy, pretty much no different then signing up for any other account, just follow thier instructions. You have to send in prrof of ID a photo copy of 2 pieces of ID (maybe it is 3??) u can either mail it in, fax it in, scan and secure email it in! Plus you have to mail in your banks info the same way! I will look in a bit for that post, but its not difficult to do! i walked by their main office in downtown Victoria many times! Staff is super professional, even managed to chat hockey on 1 call! takes a few days to set up. Once ur all set up a transaction takes between 3-4 business days to go through. if ya go Electronically (EFT) it is FREE. They do offer a wire service which is faster, but costs $$. And when ur making a transaction, its almost like ur in vegas! As you can see the rate they are going to give you, so you can either 1) accept it 2) say nope and cancel it or 3) hit the reset button (which is by the rate) and the rate may go up, down or stay the same,lol! Its not a huge change, but depending on how much $$ ur transferring it can make a difference. So even after ur done, ur always asking urself, should I have waited? lol Never had 1 problem with them! back in February, i added another account to be associated with CH, so you have to send them the info--then they have to verify info with the bank---they send them a fax requesting info. But it was taking awhile, so CH said, lets do a 3 way call with ur bank! CH set it up, and fixed the problem. They went totally out of their way and paid the long dist charges,lol they rock!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
I need to find that link--as I gave step by step instructions on how to do it! It is very easy, pretty much no different then signing up for any other account, just follow thier instructions. You have to send in prrof of ID a photo copy of 2 pieces of ID (maybe it is 3??) u can either mail it in, fax it in, scan and secure email it in! Plus you have to mail in your banks info the same way! I will look in a bit for that post, but its not difficult to do! i walked by their main office in downtown Victoria many times! Staff is super professional, even managed to chat hockey on 1 call! takes a few days to set up. Once ur all set up a transaction takes between 3-4 business days to go through. if ya go Electronically (EFT) it is FREE. They do offer a wire service which is faster, but costs $$. And when ur making a transaction, its almost like ur in vegas! As you can see the rate they are going to give you, so you can either 1) accept it 2) say nope and cancel it or 3) hit the reset button (which is by the rate) and the rate may go up, down or stay the same,lol! Its not a huge change, but depending on how much $$ ur transferring it can make a difference. So even after ur done, ur always asking urself, should I have waited? lol Never had 1 problem with them! back in February, i added another account to be associated with CH, so you have to send them the info--then they have to verify info with the bank---they send them a fax requesting info. But it was taking awhile, so CH said, lets do a 3 way call with ur bank! CH set it up, and fixed the problem. They went totally out of their way and paid the long dist charges,lol they rock!!

WOW!!! That does sound easy and very helpful, too! Thanks, Flames, for looking for the registration info! :thumbs:

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline

Found 1 of my CH posts:

1) fill out the online application https://online.customhouse.com/signup/?id=l...&branch=154 (as u can see their is a"s" after the "http" thus you know it is a secure link)

-One has to send in proof of ID, 1 or 2, I do not recall, I sent in 2. To send in 1 can either mail it in, fax it in or scan and email in through their secure server, which is what I did.

2) They will call you to verify it is you setting up the account, (at the pre-arranged time on the application form) Ask a few very basic questions and answer any questions you have. Then they will state when you acct will be activated. I was activated only a few hours later, but can take up to 2 days I believe!!

As well somewhere along the line you have to send in your Canadian bank account info and your American banking info. I sent my stuff in through their secure email (require a scanner then) it may take a day or two to get the account verified

To make a "trade" it is very basic and as I said before you can back out if you don't like the exchange rate given, or hit reset and it may or may not change. What ya can do, is see the rate, then get on the phone and cal ur bank, and see what they will offer you, keep in mind some (not all) banks will charge you a fee to cash a Cdn cheque!

to make a trade steps. (it has changed in the last while)

1)log on!

2) click on CREATE TRANSACTION

3) they ask two questions, which will probably a NO

4) Now ur going to select ur currency. ur either going from US $$ to Cdn $$ OR CDn $ to US $ the following is completed on the same page:

a) Specify the amount you want to trade. Right now(7:25 pm)) Exchange Rate:1 USD = 1.1980 CAD and if I wanted to see if the rate has changed, i would click on QUOTE!!! it used to be reset, but they have changed their website in the past few months. The rate they have quoted you is good for 40 seconds.

B) select your payment, which should be DEBIT MY ACCOUNT (its free) and then your bank account

c)payment method. For FREE it should be EFT/ACH (electronic fund transfer),want it quicker, select wire, but their is a fee

d) select recipient and account.

Your accounts will already be there, as those are the accounts you provided to CH

The rate I was talking about is on the bottom of that page. It is very easy, and like I stated, if ya have any probs they have a free 1 800# to call and they will walk you through the process, they are great, their customer service is top notch. I transferred my RRSP $$ with them, which was a nice sum, well could have been a lot more if the cdn $$ wasn't so crappy way back then,lol and it went through flawlessly.

Soon heading back to Canada (vancouver) to take an Alaskan cruise, so wil be transferring money back to my CDN account, so it comes in handy.

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Flames, how did you transfer a large amount (RRSP)? As when I signed up they gave me a limit of $800 per month I could transfer. Can I ask for an increase if I want to transfer more?

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline
Found 1 of my CH posts:

1) fill out the online application https://online.customhouse.com/signup/?id=l...&branch=154 (as u can see their is a"s" after the "http" thus you know it is a secure link)

-One has to send in proof of ID, 1 or 2, I do not recall, I sent in 2. To send in 1 can either mail it in, fax it in or scan and email in through their secure server, which is what I did.

2) They will call you to verify it is you setting up the account, (at the pre-arranged time on the application form) Ask a few very basic questions and answer any questions you have. Then they will state when you acct will be activated. I was activated only a few hours later, but can take up to 2 days I believe!!

As well somewhere along the line you have to send in your Canadian bank account info and your American banking info. I sent my stuff in through their secure email (require a scanner then) it may take a day or two to get the account verified

To make a "trade" it is very basic and as I said before you can back out if you don't like the exchange rate given, or hit reset and it may or may not change. What ya can do, is see the rate, then get on the phone and cal ur bank, and see what they will offer you, keep in mind some (not all) banks will charge you a fee to cash a Cdn cheque!

to make a trade steps. (it has changed in the last while)

1)log on!

2) click on CREATE TRANSACTION

3) they ask two questions, which will probably a NO

4) Now ur going to select ur currency. ur either going from US $$ to Cdn $$ OR CDn $ to US $ the following is completed on the same page:

a) Specify the amount you want to trade. Right now(7:25 pm)) Exchange Rate:1 USD = 1.1980 CAD and if I wanted to see if the rate has changed, i would click on QUOTE!!! it used to be reset, but they have changed their website in the past few months. The rate they have quoted you is good for 40 seconds.

B) select your payment, which should be DEBIT MY ACCOUNT (its free) and then your bank account

c)payment method. For FREE it should be EFT/ACH (electronic fund transfer),want it quicker, select wire, but their is a fee

d) select recipient and account.

Your accounts will already be there, as those are the accounts you provided to CH

The rate I was talking about is on the bottom of that page. It is very easy, and like I stated, if ya have any probs they have a free 1 800# to call and they will walk you through the process, they are great, their customer service is top notch. I transferred my RRSP $$ with them, which was a nice sum, well could have been a lot more if the cdn $$ wasn't so crappy way back then,lol and it went through flawlessly.

Soon heading back to Canada (vancouver) to take an Alaskan cruise, so wil be transferring money back to my CDN account, so it comes in handy.

That's awesome! Thanks, Flames! :)

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline
Flames, how did you transfer a large amount (RRSP)? As when I signed up they gave me a limit of $800 per month I could transfer. Can I ask for an increase if I want to transfer more?

yes, you can simply call or email them. I belive I called and explained that I wanted to transfer so much $$$. I kept my transactions below $10,000,lol you don't have to, but I was told by a bank manager that sums over $10,000 are tracked by the FBI, who knows,lol

The increase I believe was pretty quick, if not immediate!

Timeline

yes, you can simply call or email them. I belive I called and explained that I wanted to transfer so much $$$. I kept my transactions below $10,000,lol you don't have to, but I was told by a bank manager that sums over $10,000 are tracked by the FBI, who knows,lol

The increase I believe was pretty quick, if not immediate!

Sweet, thanks! I have a larger amount (leftover from my company pension I got back!) that I'm just waiting to transfer until the exchange gets a bit better, no hurry there.

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Filed: Timeline

If you go ahead and make your first trade on a yet-to-be-activated account it will prod them to process it right away. Also, if you are making a trade with a very large amount give them a call to request a better rate of exchange. Depending on the amount they may also set you up with a different type of account and process as opposed to the daily transaction type account.

iagree.gif

Has anyone had any experience using XEtrade vs. Customhouse? Any reasons why one would be better or worse? Am looking to exchange some of the savings account in preparation for the move - so a few k at a time.

Elly

Filed: Timeline
Has anyone had any experience using XEtrade vs. Customhouse? Any reasons why one would be better or worse? Am looking to exchange some of the savings account in preparation for the move - so a few k at a time.

Elly

They're an affiliate of Custom House. I've read where a lot of Brits use them and they seem to be happy with their services

iagree.gif

• 5 weeks later...
Timeline

I'm just bumping the thread to ask a couple questions! I'm thinking I want to keep a Canadian credit card to use in the US until my fiance can add me to his accounts. I'm just concerned about paying it... Everyone uses Custom House to transfer funds from their Canadian accounts to their new American accounts, but can you transfer funds from your American account back to your Canadian account? And could my fiance transfer money from his account into my Canadian account if the names on the accounts are different, or do you need to show they are held by the same person?

We have never really figured out the whole money transferring thing...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.