Paul123

POE questions

15 posts in this topic

My Sweetie is coming to the States soon :) However, I am worried about her immigration questions. We have not yet filed for the i-129f but what should she say when they ask the purpose of her trip so that she isnt lying but is also vague enough not to be grilled? Before, She never lied, she said she was visiting friends and tourism. If she said the same thing this time, It would actually be true. we plan on doing alot of sight seeing and my whole family loves her so much and they are dear friends. they havent seen her in 2 years and they're very excited about her visiting. On top of that, she is also MY best friend. :) I dont know, these little details always bug me out because I get scared they could come back to bite me in the you know what, if something gets answered wrong. Ive been to Brazil several times over the past 3 years for extended visits, so a big reason for her coming here this summer is so she can see my family again since its been so long. I believe in total honesty, especially with this. I just dont want her to have a hard time or be turned away.

Shes been here 2 times, one time the year before last for 3 months and also for 5 weeks in 2003. Will that look like shes visiting too much for too long just to be touring and seeing friends? I mean Ive been to Brazil several times over the past 3 years for extended visits, one big reason for getting her up here this summer is for her see my family again since its been so long.

Edited by Paul123

No worries Paul. Just tell her to answer questions as they're asked. Be honest without offering more info than what's being requested.

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Agree. Be honest without giving the story of your life to the officer.

Last 2 times i've been to the US i said I'm visiting my boyfriend. They then asked how long i was staying for, and for some reason both times they asked me what he does for a living... Can't understand the officers' fascination with how people earn their bread! :P

But as has been suggested here before, if you are worried she might have problems, make sure she has her return ticket plus a letter from her employer stating she's to go back to work on such and such day, a copy of her rent contract, etc. to show she has a "life" back home she's going back to.

TIMELINE

K1 visa 2006

May 9th Sent I-129 petition

May 16th NOA1 telling us they sent our case to California Service Center

June 23rd IMBRA RFE

Sept. 5th NOA2!!!!

Dec. 12th Interview at Consulate APPROVED!!!

Dec. 14th Visa received

March 19th Move to the US!

AOS

June 15th Sent AOS and AED package

June 25th NOA1s for AOS and AED

July 21st Appointment for Biometrics

July 24th RFE (co-sponsor's passport copy) sent back

Sept. 10th EAD aproved

Sept. 12th EAD card received in the mail

Oct. 9th AOS Interview. APPROVED!!!

Oct. 19th GREEN CARD received!!

126 days!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

We say visiting boyfriend/girlfriend all the time. It's a pretty acceptable answer. They'll probably ask her some questions about you (i.e. How long have you been together? How'd you meet? Where does this person live? What does he do for a living?) but just as long as you don't mention the word fiance you'll be good. As soon as you mention anything about marriage some big ole red flags go up.

us.gif

timeline.gif

K-1

Service Center: California (transferred from Nebraska)

Consulate: Vancouver, Canada (transferred from Montreal)

06.17.2006 — Engagement!

08.23.2006 — NOA1

11.01.2006 — NOA2

01.25.2007 — Interview—APPPROOOVVEEEDD!!

02.12.2007 — Entry date!

03.01.2007 — Applied for SSN.

03.08.2007 — Social Security Card arrives! :)

03.17.2007 — Wedding day! Happy St. Patty's Day! YAY! :D

AOS/EAD

04.30.2007 — AOS/EAD Mailed off (No AP)

05.02.2007 — Arrives in Chicago.

05.08.2007 — NOA1 for AOS/EAD

06.01.2007 — Biometrics (and EAD Touch)

06.14.2007 — AOS Touch

06.17.2007 — AOS Transferred to CSC

06.19.2007 — AOS Touch

06.20.2007 — AOS Touch

06.21.2007 — AOS Touch (They must be doing something!)

07.25.2007 — EA Card Arrives. YAY! :)

09.03.2007 — AOS Touch, something finally!

09.05.2007 — AOS Touch

09.07.2007 — AOS Touch

09.09.2007 — AOS Touch

09.10.2007 — AOS Touch

09.11.2007 — AOS Approval without interview

09.17.2007 — Welcome to America! Letter arrives

09.29.2007 — Green card arrives! WOOO! No more USCIS until 06/09.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I know other countries could care less if you say Fiance.. Taiwan's Immigration after I said I was there to visit my fiance they asked about my life back home.. after that .. they let me go. Now I dont want to be the person that gives you bad info but I am a firm believer of telling the truth.. I would tell them honestly. "I am here to visit my fiances parents.. " That is just me though. Lies can easily be seen through and lies I believe is what sparks doubt, which sparks probing, which causes.. "Turn around and go back to your country" But that is just my 2 cents.

May 1, 2006 - Submitted I-129F (Overnight) NSC

May 2, 2006 - NOA1

June 1, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

June 14, 2006 - Notice from CSC it was transferred

June 30, 2006 - Received IMBRA RFE (CSC)

July 5, 2006 - Touched (RFE Received)

July 31, 2006 - APPROVED

August 5, 2006 Physical NOA2

August 15, 2006 NVC Received and Sent

August 22, 2006 AIT sent Packet 3

August 22, 2006 Packet 3 got lost in the mail... sending another.. :( :( :(

October 27, 2006 Interview

3dflagsdotcom_chtai_2fawm.gif & 3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_us_co_2fawm.gif

AIT (Taiwan Embassy)

C'mon USCIS Lets get some others approved or else watch for the Trident

brick.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I believe, saying boyfriend/girlfriend isn't lying if the person is your fiance(e). A fiance(e) is still a boyfriend/girlfriend in my mind.

And I would strongly recommend against mentioning you are a fiance. It's just divulging more information than is necessairly, and it's information that can cause a hitch. Unless they ask "Are you planning on getting married?" then sure, tell the truth.

Edited by cass

us.gif

timeline.gif

K-1

Service Center: California (transferred from Nebraska)

Consulate: Vancouver, Canada (transferred from Montreal)

06.17.2006 — Engagement!

08.23.2006 — NOA1

11.01.2006 — NOA2

01.25.2007 — Interview—APPPROOOVVEEEDD!!

02.12.2007 — Entry date!

03.01.2007 — Applied for SSN.

03.08.2007 — Social Security Card arrives! :)

03.17.2007 — Wedding day! Happy St. Patty's Day! YAY! :D

AOS/EAD

04.30.2007 — AOS/EAD Mailed off (No AP)

05.02.2007 — Arrives in Chicago.

05.08.2007 — NOA1 for AOS/EAD

06.01.2007 — Biometrics (and EAD Touch)

06.14.2007 — AOS Touch

06.17.2007 — AOS Transferred to CSC

06.19.2007 — AOS Touch

06.20.2007 — AOS Touch

06.21.2007 — AOS Touch (They must be doing something!)

07.25.2007 — EA Card Arrives. YAY! :)

09.03.2007 — AOS Touch, something finally!

09.05.2007 — AOS Touch

09.07.2007 — AOS Touch

09.09.2007 — AOS Touch

09.10.2007 — AOS Touch

09.11.2007 — AOS Approval without interview

09.17.2007 — Welcome to America! Letter arrives

09.29.2007 — Green card arrives! WOOO! No more USCIS until 06/09.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Guess I haven't really thought about it since Immigration has been really strict.. So I agree.. maybe Fiance is a bad thing to say.... especially with how hard US is cracking down on Illegal immigrants.. But make sure whatever she says.. make sure she is comfortable with it.. I can easily call my fiance either girlfriend, wife, fiance.. they all are real to me .. but if you asked me to call her my friend .. or something like that.. it would not be comfortable and I think I would start to show my lie.. but I am a bad liar.. so .. hahaha

I believe, saying boyfriend/girlfriend isn't lying if the person is your fiance(e). A fiance(e) is still a boyfriend/girlfriend in my mind.

And I would strongly recommend against mentioning you are a fiance. It's just divulging more information than is necessairly, and it's information that can cause a hitch. Unless they ask "Are you planning on getting married?" then sure, tell the truth.

May 1, 2006 - Submitted I-129F (Overnight) NSC

May 2, 2006 - NOA1

June 1, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

June 14, 2006 - Notice from CSC it was transferred

June 30, 2006 - Received IMBRA RFE (CSC)

July 5, 2006 - Touched (RFE Received)

July 31, 2006 - APPROVED

August 5, 2006 Physical NOA2

August 15, 2006 NVC Received and Sent

August 22, 2006 AIT sent Packet 3

August 22, 2006 Packet 3 got lost in the mail... sending another.. :( :( :(

October 27, 2006 Interview

3dflagsdotcom_chtai_2fawm.gif & 3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_us_co_2fawm.gif

AIT (Taiwan Embassy)

C'mon USCIS Lets get some others approved or else watch for the Trident

brick.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Being brazilian as well and knowing what is like to get a visa to US, when I went to visit Luis, we weren't engaged, but were dating, and at the interview I put his name down and all, but said he was friend, that I was visiting. I knew that if I said he was my boyfriend, my visa would be denied. In fact, the official that interviewed me asked me if he was just a friend, 6 times in a row, and I kept saying no, 'cus of course after I said no once, I wouldn't go back and say something different. Even though I was never planning to overstay my visa, I knew that if I had said he was my boyfriend, they wouldn't believe in me anymore. If he was my fiance back then, I would have said the truth though, even though I knew they'd deny my visa. We got engaged a year later only.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

hi, i really dont think you have anything to worry about :)

there was a person on here who practically visited every other month and was ok.

it all really depends on the person on the gate, but generally speaking you should be fine if you have spent much longer away from the US than you have in it.

when im asked the purpose, i say vacation, then if asked if im seeing friends or family, i say friends. then i go through :)

people who get denied are usually those who have visited for 3 months and then turn around and come back again and try to get in a month later.

i personally would never say visiting my fiance as its probably going to raise a flag in the officers mind, just no point :) also, if you that worried, break up the week before and then you wont be lying about a thing ;)

--

15 aug -- K-1 application posted to TSC

17 aug -- TSC receives application

no NOA1, USCIS says no record....

31 oct resubmitted

09 NOV money order cashed

08 NOV NOA1 date, yey! arrived in post 14th nov

I didn't say fiance either and I got pulled over, then again I wasn't engaged either yet. You can get pulled over and sent back even if u say boyfriend/girlfriend. depends on the border guard you meet.

Lifting of Conditions

*Sent form 05/15 to CA Service Center

*NOA1 Received 5/19

*RFE Received 06/2009

*Biometrics 07/2009

*RFE sent to CSC 09/2009

*Notification of RFE acceptance 10/2009

*Interview Date: December 4th!

*January 9th: Received 10 year Green Card in the mail :)

Timeline

hi calidreamer80, did you try and get in 3 times in 3 months? I cant work out from your timeline if you had problems on your 3rd try to get in?

--

31 oct resubmitted

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
We say visiting boyfriend/girlfriend all the time. It's a pretty acceptable answer. They'll probably ask her some questions about you (i.e. How long have you been together? How'd you meet? Where does this person live? What does he do for a living?) but just as long as you don't mention the word fiance you'll be good. As soon as you mention anything about marriage some big ole red flags go up.

From my experieces when visiting my fiancé when he lived in Canada - going through Halifax Airport....saying the word "fiancé" always raised a flag I think because I was questioned over and over, the smile would

disappear and I had to almost give them my whole life history (except my blood type). When I've mentioned "boyfriend" I had no problems, just was reminded that I was only allowed to stay for 6 months. I pointed out my return date on the tickets and that seemed to satisfy the officer.

Eh, I'd just do whatever you feel is best. Like I said, it's just the experiences I've had.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

hi calidreamer80, did you try and get in 3 times in 3 months? I cant work out from your timeline if you had problems on your 3rd try to get in?

Yeah pretty stupid huh? I was pretty uniformed about it all back in 2004 and now its coming back to haunt me I think. Sigh.

Lifting of Conditions

*Sent form 05/15 to CA Service Center

*NOA1 Received 5/19

*RFE Received 06/2009

*Biometrics 07/2009

*RFE sent to CSC 09/2009

*Notification of RFE acceptance 10/2009

*Interview Date: December 4th!

*January 9th: Received 10 year Green Card in the mail :)

Timeline

Yeah pretty stupid huh? I was pretty uniformed about it all back in 2004 and now its coming back to haunt me I think. Sigh.

no not stupid, unless you knew someone with previous experience, your not gonna find out until its too late :(

i hope things go fast for you, fingers crossed :(

--

31 oct resubmitted

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I know each situation is different but this has been our experience..

When my fiance ( now husband) and I would travel between Canada and Michigan,( every 3- 6 weeks)we always said fiance'. I even went so far after receiving my engagement ring to wave it like a school girl saying " see see see isnt it pretty". In hindsight it probably wasn't my wisest idea but man I was excited. The guy just chuckled and said " Congratulations have a good one " .

The questions they ask vary greatly from serious, standard questions to random, seemingly insignificant queriers such as " hey how's the new Walmart" When asked when the date for our marriage was my husband would typically reply ....she hasn't told me yet.......which always got a resounding roll of laughter from the males and a smirk from the women.

We have never had a single problem........well except the one time I had 2 bananas on my dashboard and I was sent in for " a random agricultural inspection". So I said to the guy ......really you can have the bananas. The ag guy about spit when i told him I had 2 friggin bananas. Anyway I got off track......

I have a binder in which I carry significant docs regarding my home ownership and bank account info , letters for the children to travel etc and my husband always has a military leave pass. In the 50 or so times we have crossed(combined) we have been asked for that info maybe 3 times. I always say........just look em in the eye, be relaxed and honest and treat the border guards like theyre just regular people doing their job, its all they ask. I have to say that Im typically casual and very playful with them.....maybe they figure Im too much of a ditz to be a threat of any kind ....hey whatever works eh!

He's coming for his 1st trip home since we got married, on Friday...........I hope it goes as well this time as it has in the past.

So good luck to all trying for that oh so missed kiss goodnight

google.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.