Paul

Options prior to getting citizenship... but maybe leaving US

8 posts in this topic

Hi there

I came to the US in 2005 on a fiance visa, married my American wife and we applied for my green card which came through in August 2006. In the next few months I will be able to apply for citizenship... (if I've read everything correctly)

...but I have a question and if anyone has any thoughts please let me know... what would happen if we had to move back to the UK (where I am from) and stayed long-term- how would we be able to return to the US? Would we have to start the process all over again for me? Would I be able to work or would I have to file for a work permit? (We don't want to move back but the work situation here is worse for me than it would be in the UK- but we don't want to waste the time we've put into getting me citizenship so we can come and go as we please).

If anyone could point me to any information about this admittedly quite vague question, I would appreciate it!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hi there

I came to the US in 2005 on a fiance visa, married my American wife and we applied for my green card which came through in August 2006. In the next few months I will be able to apply for citizenship... (if I've read everything correctly)

...but I have a question and if anyone has any thoughts please let me know... what would happen if we had to move back to the UK (where I am from) and stayed long-term- how would we be able to return to the US? Would we have to start the process all over again for me? Would I be able to work or would I have to file for a work permit? (We don't want to move back but the work situation here is worse for me than it would be in the UK- but we don't want to waste the time we've put into getting me citizenship so we can come and go as we please).

If anyone could point me to any information about this admittedly quite vague question, I would appreciate it!

If you left before becoming a US Citizen then you would have to start all over again if you wanted to return to live in the US. You are so close to being able to file for Citizenship you would be better to wait and go back to the UK after you are a citizen.

I sort of thought that having a 10 year green card meant that this sort of thing might be possible, but I'll willingly admit to not having any sort of real knowledge about the subject.

Not to be difficult, but can you back that up with a link to something more...official?

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

it's better to wait and file your US citizenship when it's time, then you can go back to UK and look for a job but i think you need something paper in order for you to stay your US citizenship. I don't know what kind of documents you need but my former boss is a US citizen and she still living permanently in the Philippines for over 15 years now with her family and able to work there but every year she come and visit her mom in Florida.

I-130 Petition for alien relative (mom)

01/08/2010 - Mailed I-130 form via express mail

01/11/2010 - Received Application and signed by JPM

01/19/2010 - Received NOA1

03/10/2010 - Received approval notice via e-mail

03/15/2010 - Received NOA2 via mail

NVC

03/16/2010 - case no. assigned and registered both my mom and my e-mail addresses

03/18/2010 - Received DS-3032 form and AOS fee bill from NVC via e-mail

03/18/2010 - PAID AOS fee

03/20/2010 - e-mailed signed DS-3032 to NVC

03/23/2010 - Mailed I-864 packet via USPS

03/25/2010 - NVC received DS 3032 thru e-mail

03/26/2010 - NVC received I-864 packet

03/31/2010 - PAID IV Bill online

04/10/2010 - Received RFE, missing DS-230 and entire documents..... still waiting for my mom to send me her stuff. omg!

04/22/2010 - Mailed DS 230 packet via USPS Priority Mail.... huh! finally I received my mom's docs.

04/26/2010 - NVC received DS 230 packet

05/07/2010 - Sign-in FAILED....great!

05/10/2010 - Talked to the NVC operator and said "CASE COMPLETED" on 05/10/2010

05/13/2010 - Received Interview Appt. on 06/02/2010 via e-mail

05/17/2010 - Medical Exam

06/02/2010 - Interview Appointment PASSED

06/23/2010 - Returned her passport to Singapore Embassy for issuance of visa

06/30/2010 - Visa Received... Yehey!!

09/16/2010 - Arrived in Hawaii

10/02/2010 - Received Welcome Notice

10/12/2010 - Applied for SS #

10/13/2010 - Received 10 years permanent card

10/18/2010 - Received ss card

Filed: Timeline
I sort of thought that having a 10 year green card meant that this sort of thing might be possible, but I'll willingly admit to not having any sort of real knowledge about the subject.

Not to be difficult, but can you back that up with a link to something more...official?

Nope, not possible with a greencard --- you need re-entry permits and whatnot, and have to prove to USCIS you have maintained residence in the US. Why bother.

Once you become a citizen however, you can relocate wherever.

Best of luck to the OP.

Here is a USCIS page on the subject.

Maintaining Permanent Residence You may lose your permanent residence status if you commit an act that makes you removable from the United States under the law in section 237 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. If you commit such an act, you may be brought before the immigration courts to determine your right to remain a Permanent Resident.

You may be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status if you:

* Move to another country intending to live there permanently.

* Remain outside of the US for more than one year without obtaining a reentry permit or returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.

* Remain outside of the US for more than two years after issuance of a reentry permit without obtaining a returning resident visa. However in determining whether your status has been abandoned any length of absence from the US may be considered, even if it is less than one year.

* Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the US for any period.

* Declare yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your tax returns.

If you google "reentry permit" or "returning resident visa" you'll find more info. Note that the reentry permit must be obtained before you leave.

They key is that the green card is good only as long as you maintain your residence in the US. Once you stop maintaining your residence in the US, you lose the green card privileges. That can happen very quickly, or it can take a long time. There are detailed areas of fact-specific law around determining exactly what constitutes abandonment of your US residence. A term to plug into your favorite search engine is "abandonment of status".

And I'll reinforce the point that others have said; once you become a US Citizen, there are no restrictions on where you can live. You do not lose US Citizenship by living outside the US, no matter how long you stay outside the US. Once you're a citizen, you can always return to the US. So citizenship may be worthwhile just to avoid the hassles of proving you haven't abandoned your green card status.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

That clears a lot of things up. Important to know, as I think somewhere in our 10 year plan an international move may be possible..

The keywords you mentioned will be useful.

Thanks!!!

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yep any long term move etc, not only will break the continous residency requirement, but also will constitute as abandoning the Green Card. Only in special circumstances might it be viable (working for a US company or US gov't overseas etc).

If you plan on doing what you are thinking you will need citizenship or just abandon the Green Card and if you want to come back to the US years later. Get your US spouse to start the importation process from scratch. It would possibly mean they would be in the US and then file to get you legally there (usually a few months or longer). Then you would have to file all the paper work etc again like you did when you first started and eventually get a Green Card again.

With the Re-entry permit, generally you need to show proof that you will be away for a specific duration and you must I believe still maintain US ties (home, payments, etc). Plus it will also depend on the nature of your business outside the US. So it's not like you can just get one anytime you want...

Edited by warlord

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.