bikozu

What is the chance of getting denied at the embassy?

35 posts in this topic

To the OP: you've been given some great advice here. Essentially, if your relationship is genuine, then just continue to use common sense, prepare for the interview, and don't assume anything (but don't worry unduly either). As for the debate about whether or not you should/can be there for the interview... I'm the foreigner and my fiance came over to Europe from the US to be with me for mine. He was allowed to be with me at all times and I think it greatly helped show the genuine love we have for each other. The interviewer was friendly and asked us both questions, and it was very quick. Maybe check with the Embassy first to see what their rules are about allowing other people in; some Embassies allow it and some don't. If you can be there, I'd advise it! :thumbs:

--------------------

(Full timeline in profile)

25th May 07 - Sent I-129F to TSC

17th December 07 - Interview- APPROVED! :)

17th May 08 - Got married!!!!! :)

18th June 08 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago lockbox

3rd October 08 - Green card in hand!!

26th August 10 - Sent I-751 to VSC

31st August 10 - NOA1 from VSC

10th January 11 - I-751 approved!

14th January 11 - 10-year green card in hand!!

22nd April 23 - N400 submitted online; NOA available in USCIS account immediately
6th November 23 - Interview; approval same day
28th November 23 - Oath ceremony scheduled

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

agreed with many people here, don't assume, every VO and case is not created equaly, don't ask her to quit her job yet, wait for VISA to be in her hands first....

UpdatedTimeline.jpg

Filed: Country: Japan
Timeline
To the OP: you've been given some great advice here. Essentially, if your relationship is genuine, then just continue to use common sense, prepare for the interview, and don't assume anything (but don't worry unduly either). As for the debate about whether or not you should/can be there for the interview... I'm the foreigner and my fiance came over to Europe from the US to be with me for mine. He was allowed to be with me at all times and I think it greatly helped show the genuine love we have for each other. The interviewer was friendly and asked us both questions, and it was very quick. Maybe check with the Embassy first to see what their rules are about allowing other people in; some Embassies allow it and some don't. If you can be there, I'd advise it! :thumbs:

Alright, thanks. Our relationship is indeed genuine and I will be staying with her in Japan for 90 days this summer (we should be able to gather quite a lot of proof of an ongoing relationship then) and hopefully the interview will be in time for me to join her there.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
BE THERE at the interview, even if you are on your deathbed.

While this is really good advice for some embassy's, it's not as necessary for others.

For example, I've never heard of an Irish applicant being asked to have their FI there.

As the OP plans on going anyway, it's not as big an issue in this case, but other people with interviews coming up, should check their local boards to see if request for the USC to attend are common.

It's also my understanding that in many cases, you're not allowed anywhere near the interview anyway. What good does it do except maybe to provide some emotional support to your fiancee' before the interview? I wasn't at my fiancee's interview. To do so would have required 20 hours of flying (just one way), just so I could be there for a day, and then return.

I personally believe that one day and a 24 HOUR flight is worth it if it means my hubby being here. Even if he isnt approved, at least i got to see him again for one more day (L) , and i can say i was his support when the time came. Going to the interview even if it isnt typically allowed is a great thing. The person interviewd will be relaxed, confident, and calm...and it will show. As long as love is close by they should do well. Even the toughest of CO's can know what a legitimate marriage looks like. Thats their job-and most of them have been doing it for years. They can see through the person interviewed within the first couple of minutes.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
BE THERE at the interview, even if you are on your deathbed.

While this is really good advice for some embassy's, it's not as necessary for others.

For example, I've never heard of an Irish applicant being asked to have their FI there.

As the OP plans on going anyway, it's not as big an issue in this case, but other people with interviews coming up, should check their local boards to see if request for the USC to attend are common.

It's also my understanding that in many cases, you're not allowed anywhere near the interview anyway. What good does it do except maybe to provide some emotional support to your fiancee' before the interview? I wasn't at my fiancee's interview. To do so would have required 20 hours of flying (just one way), just so I could be there for a day, and then return.

I personally believe that one day and a 24 HOUR flight is worth it if it means my hubby being here. Even if he isnt approved, at least i got to see him again for one more day (L) , and i can say i was his support when the time came. Going to the interview even if it isnt typically allowed is a great thing. The person interviewd will be relaxed, confident, and calm...and it will show. As long as love is close by they should do well. Even the toughest of CO's can know what a legitimate marriage looks like. Thats their job-and most of them have been doing it for years. They can see through the person interviewed within the first couple of minutes.

Easy for you to say not having been to an interview where they decide you don't have a valid relationship. Joseph and I are a real relationship and the consulate asked questions it should't have and with held the visa because of that . Have arrogant people assume that all visas that aren't immediately approved are false is so frustrating. Maybe someday you will be on my side of the interview and understand that comsulates especially ones like Lagos don't always do the right thing. I have been told of the things that go on there and that Joseph and I could short cut the process if we wanted to make the right coontributions. Personally the Lagos consulate disgusts me. Shortly after Josephs interview they appoved someone here that immedaitely started asking about how to file for a GC if the marriage didn't last. So that means they didn't see through that relationship as being fake.

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.