Garfield fan

Some idiots just hit my car !!

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
Sorry you had to go through this. We just picked up our car yesterday from the body shop. SOmeone backed into us at a parking lot and then went on to curse and yell at us saying we must be drunk or high or something. (NOTE-- we were no way in the wrong here) So we just remained quiet. Took pictures and waited for the police. She then asked the police to give us drug and alcohol teste and started yelling at the police. I was sure we were going to have some sort of investigation--but when we called the insurance the next day--there was no fuss.

Still I understand the injustice you must feel. Hubby and I were so ticked at this lady fornot only causing damage to our car but also having the gall to say we were lying (she insisting that we were backing up too--which we weren't) and that we were drunk and high.

Was it a local, or a tourist? :unsure:

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Sorry you had to go through this. We just picked up our car yesterday from the body shop. SOmeone backed into us at a parking lot and then went on to curse and yell at us saying we must be drunk or high or something. (NOTE-- we were no way in the wrong here) So we just remained quiet. Took pictures and waited for the police. She then asked the police to give us drug and alcohol teste and started yelling at the police. I was sure we were going to have some sort of investigation--but when we called the insurance the next day--there was no fuss.

Still I understand the injustice you must feel. Hubby and I were so ticked at this lady fornot only causing damage to our car but also having the gall to say we were lying (she insisting that we were backing up too--which we weren't) and that we were drunk and high.

Was it a local, or a tourist? :unsure:

I think she was a new arrival--military-- Had no idea about local, laid back ways- The officer was like "are you done yelling at me now?" Just thankful she must have calmed down later and that their insurance paid for it all.

February 17, 2005--mailed in I 129F to CSC!

February 24, 2005--1st NOA

March 15, 2005--2nd NOA

April 11, 2005--Fiance receives Packet 3

May 19, 2005 Fax Checklist(Nigeria police report finally arrives)

June 6, 2005-- Interview Date!!!!Visa approved!!

June 18, 2005--Fiancee arrives in Hawaii!

August 14, 2005--wedding in Oregon

September 12, 2005--sent in AOS

September 20, 2005--1st NOA AOS

September 23, 2005--Walk-in biometrics completed

October 1, 2005--fingerprints received/processing resumed

November 26, 2005--EAD card received in mail

June 7, 2006--contact senators about AOS

June 28, 2006--senator says interview date is for August 14!!

August 14, 2006--AOS interview and 1 year wedding anniversary

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Yeah, I know this is frustrating - I investigate automobile claims for an insurance company, and the hit and runs are the most frustrating for the owners.

However, I must agree with the officer.... If the tire impacted a car while moving, the scuff mark would be a CIRCULAR pattern......

Of course, this is not to say that someone tried to rub out any other damage... but based on that photo, those scuff marks were almost certainly NOT made while the vehicle was moving.....

Oh yeah, and I forgot to add...

Keep in mind that the POLICE investigation is completely separate from the INSURANCE investigation... The officer was not there for the loss, therefore the insurance adjuster's conclusion is no less valid than the officers. There have been MANY times I've denied (or paid) a claim based on my investigation which comes to a completely opposite conclusion than the police. And if the two insurance companies don't agree, the file will go to subrogation to let a panel decide. It may take months to get your deductible back, but just because the officer doesn't think that car did it, doesn't mean it's a done deal.

Important - You may want to make sure your company knows there is a tape, and that they see it fast, because most convenience marts will re-use their surveillance tapes. They may need it to go after the other insurance company!!

Happy

Jayke

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
Yeah, I know this is frustrating - I investigate automobile claims for an insurance company, and the hit and runs are the most frustrating for the owners.

However, I must agree with the officer.... If the tire impacted a car while moving, the scuff mark would be a CIRCULAR pattern......

Of course, this is not to say that someone tried to rub out any other damage... but based on that photo, those scuff marks were almost certainly NOT made while the vehicle was moving.....

Keep in mind that the POLICE investigation is completely separate from the INSURANCE investigation... The officer was not there for the loss, therefore the insurance adjuster's conclusion is no less valid than the officers. There have been MANY times I've denied (or paid) a claim based on my investigation which comes to a completely opposite conclusion than the police. And if the two insurance companies don't agree, the file will go to subrogation to let a panel decide. It may take months to get your deductible back, but just because the officer doesn't think that car did it, doesn't mean it's a done deal.

Important - You may want to make sure your company knows there is a tape, and that they see it fast, because most convenience marts will re-use their surveillance tapes. They may need it to go after the other insurance company!!

Thanks for your info, it was very helpful. Well, I must add a bit more information here: this truck hit my car and stopped for a brief moment with his tire (or whatever part of his truck) still touching my bumper (so it didn't hit and keep backing up), and then pull up a bit, then back up again. So would it be possible that this caused that kind of mark ? I will attach the picture of my front bumper damage too.

And about the tape, can anyone view the tape without asking police permission ? Would it be possible for us to see it ourselves ? Both my husband and I was quite sure that this was the truck that did it, but of course there was a possibility that we misidentified the truck. If there is any way that we can see the tape ourselves, that would be great... Oh, and I first thought that it's only the police that can see the tape, that's why I didn't tell my insurance about it. The police even told us that hubby's workplace complained because our insurance company were trying to go after them, claiming that they were liable for the damage, and he said that if his investigation prove otherwise , the insurance cannot go after them.

post-2164-1151152310_thumb.jpg

post-2164-1151152323_thumb.jpg

Edited by theangells

Me- Indonesia & hubby - US

married in Vancouver, Canada

USCIS-free for 10 years !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Thanks for your info, it was very helpful. Well, I must add a bit more information here: this truck hit my car and stopped for a brief moment with his tire (or whatever part of his truck) still touching my bumper (so it didn't hit and keep backing up), and then pull up a bit, then back up again. So would it be possible that this caused that kind of mark ? I will attach the picture of my front bumper damage too.

And about the tape, can anyone view the tape without asking police permission ? Would it be possible for us to see it ourselves ? Both my husband and I was quite sure that this was the truck that did it, but of course there was a possibility that we misidentified the truck. If there is any way that we can see the tape ourselves, that would be great... Oh, and I first thought that it's only the police that can see the tape, that's why I didn't tell my insurance about it. The police even told us that hubby's workplace complained because our insurance company were trying to go after them, claiming that they were liable for the damage, and he said that if his investigation prove otherwise , the insurance cannot go after them.

It's pretty much up to the store who they allow to see the tape. No, you or your insurance company cannot FORCE them to show you the tape; however, most of the time they are willing to cooperate in the interest of customer service. We get tapes sent to us all the time. The police are the only ones who can demand to have the tape, however. If the store says no you can't, you (or your insurance company) is out of luck.

Further, the officer is 100% WRONG about your insurance not being able to go after the other party if his investigation concludes he is not at fault. Unless the officer is there, his investigation is not more credible than the insurance company's.

Good luck!!

Happy

Jayke

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline
Way too many clowns on the roads these days.

I agree :yes:

Maria

Got married in Killeen, Texas on April 27 2004

*°K-3 Visa°*

Oct 12 2005 - Sent I-130 to NSC

Oct 24 2005 - NOA 1

Nov 7 2005 - Sent I-129F to Chicago

Nov 9 2005 - NOA 1

Dec 5 2005 - NOA 2 - I-129F Approved!!! (28 days)

Dec 13 2005 - Application Forwarded to NVC

Dec 16 2005 - Application received by the Consulate in Italy

Jan 4 2006 - Packet 3

Jan 10 2006 - Sent "Applicant's Statement" to Naples

Jan 27 2006 - Packet 4

Feb 22 2006 - Medical and Interview

Feb 22 2006 - Interview... APPROVED Got the Visa!!!

Mar 2 2006 - I-130 case *touched*

Mar 6 2006 - RFE for the I-130 (Marriage Certificate)

Mar 14 2006 - Sent RFE to CSC

Mar 21 2006 - RFE received by CSC

Mar 30 2006 - Detroit POE - Got the I-94

Mar 31 2006 - I-130 NOA 2 - APPROVED!!! (170 days)

*°AOS°*

Mar 31 2006 - I-765 sent to Chicago

Apr 5 2006 - I-765 NOA1

Apr 7 2006 - Vaccination Supplement appt. in Cleveland

Apr 13 2006 - EAD Biometrics Appointment Letter

Apr 18 2006 - EAD Biometrics in Pittsburg

Apr 22 2006 - I-485 sent to Chicago lockbox

Apr 28 2006 - I-485 NOA1

May 3 2006 - EAD Approved!! (33 days)

May 5 2006 - EAC received (NOA2)

May 5 2006 - AOS Biometrics Appointment Letter

May 8 2006 - Applied for Social Security Number

May 11 2006 - AOS Biometrics Appointment in Pittsburgh

May 18 2006 - Social Security Card arrived in the mail

May 18 2006 - Interview Appointment Letter

May 31 2006 - Flew back to Italy

Jun 24 2006 - I-485 *touched*

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

That's why I love the scene in "Fried Green Tomatoes" when she hit the girls car in the parking lot and said... "face it girls... I'm older than you and I have more insruance"!!! :lol::thumbs:

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Thanks everyone for your info and support. I'm still waiting for the police to get back to me, I just wish I could get a better police officer to handle this case... :angry::(

Me- Indonesia & hubby - US

married in Vancouver, Canada

USCIS-free for 10 years !