gakkuken

TAX return and the filing status

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi guys;

Wife's interview is coming up, and I read some posts on CFL regarding the filing status for the tax returns.... which bothered me quite a bit.

I got married in 2007, and I filed as single only because there was no way I can choose any otherway in that turbotax software without asking for spouse's SSN or tax ID. So, this year I contacted my lawyer directly and he suggested me to have my CPA to find the pertinent part of the law and issue an opinion letter to that effect, just to avoid being questioned at the time of her consular interview.

So looks like I won't be able to file tax myself this year.... as I just made an appointment w/ my CPA and they will have a formal letter in regards to my filing status as well as the section where IRS stated it's legal....etc

Sounds like a lot of work, but I think this is a better approach to address this matter. What do you all think?

rod

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi guys;

Wife's interview is coming up, and I read some posts on CFL regarding the filing status for the tax returns.... which bothered me quite a bit.

I got married in 2007, and I filed as single only because there was no way I can choose any otherway in that turbotax software without asking for spouse's SSN or tax ID. So, this year I contacted my lawyer directly and he suggested me to have my CPA to find the pertinent part of the law and issue an opinion letter to that effect, just to avoid being questioned at the time of her consular interview.

So looks like I won't be able to file tax myself this year.... as I just made an appointment w/ my CPA and they will have a formal letter in regards to my filing status as well as the section where IRS stated it's legal....etc

Sounds like a lot of work, but I think this is a better approach to address this matter. What do you all think?

rod

Choices are MFJ, MFS, HOH (if qualified and only if you meet the requirements to be considered unmarried) You could have gotten an ITIN for your wife and filed MFJ by specific exception. You have most likely paid more tax than you legally could have.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Hi guys;

rod

Choices are MFJ, MFS, HOH (if qualified) and Single (but only if you meet the requirements to be considered unmarried) You could have gotten an ITIN for your wife and filed MFJ by specific exception. You have most likely paid more tax than you legally could have.

Yep this one comes up every March/April on CFL, the recommended procedure is to apply for an ITIN from IRS and file jointly, this is additional evidence of marital relationship that the consulate looks for.

To get an ITIN you need to file a W7 along with a Notarized copy of foreign passport.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22151

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96287,00.html

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

yea, i know at this point i'm paying more tax than i should, but i can file an amended return after she gets to usa.

my CPA is saying my wife doesn't have documents are acceptable as proof of identity and foreign status in order to qualify ITIN, but i believe a formal letter from my CPA will sound a better.

Timeline
yea, i know at this point i'm paying more tax than i should, but i can file an amended return after she gets to usa.

my CPA is saying my wife doesn't have documents are acceptable as proof of identity and foreign status in order to qualify ITIN, but i believe a formal letter from my CPA will sound a better.

I cannot say for sure but I am certain there are others who have managed to get ITIN's for there spouses while still in China.... What acceptable documents is she missing (if I may ask)?

YMMV

Timeline

i believe CPA was saying my wife needs to have a valid VISA or past entry to USA in order to get one (as just her foreign passport isn't enough). This topic really sucks and confusing.. but i'm sure there are many other folks filing "single" status like i do.... and the extra paper from their CPA won't hurt (if VO even bothered to ask for the tax return)

Timeline

i believe CPA was saying my wife needs to have a valid VISA or past entry to USA in order to get one (as just her foreign passport isn't enough). This topic really sucks and confusing.. but i'm sure there are many other folks filing "single" status like i do.... and the extra paper from their CPA won't hurt (if VO even bothered to ask for the tax return)

FWIW, if that is what your CPA meant, then he/she is uninformed about the accepted requirements of the W-7.....

Who Must Apply

A nonresident alien individual not eligible for an SSN who elects to file a joint U.S. tax return with a spouse who is a U.S. citizen or resident alien.

Passport (the only stand-alone document) If you supply your passport you need only supply your passport. No previous entry or current visa required.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

The rub is dealing with mailing a passport back and forth across the Pacific. You can file single and amend the return. That's what we did with no trouble whatsoever. A letter from the CPA would be a nice touch though.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello Rod, Yizhen sent her passport to me, and I filed MFJ with the W-7 for ITIN. I took the passport in to the local IRS office, they made the copy, before sending the 1040 and W-7 to the W-7 address. That way I didn't have to let the passport out of my sight. I got the refund in time to use it for the return trip, and I safely brought the passport with me, for the interview. Mike & Yizhen

Edited by turbo2253

married in Nanning 10/28/06 I-130 mailed 11/24/06 I-129F mailed 12/8/06

I-130 & I-129F both approved 3/1/07

I-824 sent 3/9/07 K-3 sent to GUZ 3/15/07

K-3 P-3 sent 5/30/07 P-3 ret'd 5/31/07 (P-3 rec'd by mail 6/7/07)

rec'd P-4 6/27/07 interview 8/8/07 (rec'd P-4 by mail 7/3/07)

Interview 8/8/07 "PINK" entered US 8/27/07

Rec'd approved I-824 & re-approved I-130 10/11/07

after 12.5 mo. DHS Ombudsman sends I-130 to NVC 10/30/08, and asks for case to be expedited

NVC rec'd 12/26/08, NVC to GUZ 1/5/09,

NVC sends email to GUZ requesting Expedite 1/9 or 1/14? DOS says "waiting for interview date" 2/9

INTERVIEW 4/28/2009 P-4 delivered to US in 6 days via FedEx 3/26/2009

4/28/2009 INTERVIEW PINK ! ! ! !

VISA PICK-UP 4/30/2009 9:50 AM

Enter IR-1 POE Chicago "ORD", SS Card 6/27/09, welcome letter 7/2/09

10 YEAR GREEN CARD 7/6/2009

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Rod, you will need to file an amended return to get a refund for 2007, and you will also get the stimulus credit for 2008 when she has the SS#. It keeps life interesting! Mike & Yizhen

married in Nanning 10/28/06 I-130 mailed 11/24/06 I-129F mailed 12/8/06

I-130 & I-129F both approved 3/1/07

I-824 sent 3/9/07 K-3 sent to GUZ 3/15/07

K-3 P-3 sent 5/30/07 P-3 ret'd 5/31/07 (P-3 rec'd by mail 6/7/07)

rec'd P-4 6/27/07 interview 8/8/07 (rec'd P-4 by mail 7/3/07)

Interview 8/8/07 "PINK" entered US 8/27/07

Rec'd approved I-824 & re-approved I-130 10/11/07

after 12.5 mo. DHS Ombudsman sends I-130 to NVC 10/30/08, and asks for case to be expedited

NVC rec'd 12/26/08, NVC to GUZ 1/5/09,

NVC sends email to GUZ requesting Expedite 1/9 or 1/14? DOS says "waiting for interview date" 2/9

INTERVIEW 4/28/2009 P-4 delivered to US in 6 days via FedEx 3/26/2009

4/28/2009 INTERVIEW PINK ! ! ! !

VISA PICK-UP 4/30/2009 9:50 AM

Enter IR-1 POE Chicago "ORD", SS Card 6/27/09, welcome letter 7/2/09

10 YEAR GREEN CARD 7/6/2009

Timeline
Rod, you will need to file an amended return to get a refund for 2007, and you will also get the stimulus credit for 2008 when she has the SS#. It keeps life interesting! Mike & Yizhen

Thanks Mike, I sure won't forget to file an amended return for 07 and 08 as I owe taxes for both years

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.