SJ1819

MAKE UP

46 posts in this topic

When I was in Philippines, I only used powder face(Johnson&Johnson).So, when I arrived in US, I bought a face powder made by Loreal which gave me bad blemishes. I bought expensive stuff for acne treatment but never work. Now, I use water only to wash my face. My blemishes are gone. I only use face cream for UV protection with vit. E.

Edited by sj5

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance appreciates and loves it when i get myself all dolled up. When i take care of myself and I make sure i always look awesome every single day. He even spoils me, he either surprises me for buying the girly stuff or he shows me the item/product and asks me if i like it. Anyway, I just wanted to share some pointers on what type of makeup to bring on board to get the fresh look from a very long flight.

By the way, liquids over 6 oz. is not allowed. To be safe, stick with 3 oz. or smaller. It is better to play safe than sorry because there are some airports that are very strict and the TSA officers will take your stuff that are over 6 ounces. Here's the conversion, so you would know how much in ounces your make up in milliliter/millilitre.

mL = Fluid Ounces (US)

10 = 0.338

20 = 0.676

30 = 1.014

40 = 1.352

50 = 1.690

60 = 2.028

70 = 2.366

80 = 2.704

90 = 3.042

100 = 3.381

For makeup, these are my usual haul.

1. CONCEALER. Cream or gel.

2. FOUNDATION. I suggest cream/gel over powder and liquids so it will not get too messy. Cream stays put, even when you have it dotted along your face.

3. POWDER EYELINER. Avoid liquid eyeliner and cream they get smeared everywhere and the people might think you went through domestic abuse lol. And with pencil eyeliner you might poke yourself if there would be a turbulence.

4. MASCARA. It is better if you have a mascara that helps you curl up your lashes even without using an eyelash curler. On TSA website they said it is okay to bring eyelash curlers but it is better not to bring it in your hand-carry so you won't be sorry for taking your expensive eyelash curler. I use MAC Zoom Lash or Plush Lash to help curl my lashes without using curlers.

5. and LIP GLOSS

If you want to put blush powder on and define your eyebrows with eyebrow pencil, you can do so. Make sure you do not put too much blush powder that looks like someone slapped your face. Hahaha! In my case i do not use blush powder cause my cheeks gets red when it is too cold or hot. I don't pluck my eyebrows cause they already look naturally good. I do not want them to look like an old woman's eyebrows drawn by a pencil, it's gross lol.

No one in their right mind would want a face full of makeup on a long flight right? It is so uncomfortable and the skin can't breath. It's better to apply makeup on 30 minutes before you land to your destination. Your makeup should look fresh and natural, it should not look like you are trying too hard. It should not take you 15 minutes to finish a fresh and natural look.

For sure, your fiance or husband who is anxiously waiting for you at the airport would get stunned! LOL. :D

Good luck!

Toodles :star:

~ Jean

babae ng philippines hindi pangangailangan para makeup bawat isa babae ng philippines ay gawapo sa labas makeup

Oh well, my opinion here is its a case to case basis. Some women feels good w/ some make-up on their face, some feels better w/out any make-up on as most Filipinas just wanna be simple. Whatever makes you feel good, happy and comfortable, its all up to you. We also know the fact that some were blessed w/ a natural beauty and some needs something to cover up or enhance their beauty, which there's nothing wrong about it, right? Just be careful in choosing the right make-up that fits for your skin type and the occasion. If its daytime, just put some light make-up and for evening affairs, better try something different but don't make it too heavy like you're wearing a mask and nobody can recognize that its you haha! Feeling good for yourself and making your fiance/husband happy :) w/ your look is the most important thing to consider.

Anyway, for those who want some other make-up advice, here's the link you could visit: http://www.videojug.com/tag/make-up. I hope it could help you!

szbfyt86.png

"What seems to us as bitter trials are often blessings in disguiseツ."

"All good things come to he who waits ツ."

i think it just all boils down to appropriateness. for someone who looks too young for my age, i have to wear a bit of makeup in the office lest i be mistaken for a highschooler waiting for her mom at work.

nonetheless, i still believe all pinays are naturally beautiful. makeup should just highlight that fact.

ROC mailed to USCIS -- June 10, 2011

ROC approved -- November 1, 2011

finally free of USCIS paperwork!

japan, japan! sagot sa kahirapan!

smswp8wx7d.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Long flights + cabin's air conditioning = dry skin. Bring moisturizer!

and a small toothbrush and paste: mouthwash just won't do after a long flight. Also, deodorant.

Have a glass of red wine on the plane: it will help you sleep though it and you won't look as tired. That's what I did on my flight and I was looking better than him because he couldn't sleep the night before my arrival :P

Saludos and good luck

Caro

Edited by JVKn'CVO

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

i think it just all boils down to appropriateness. for someone who looks too young for my age, i have to wear a bit of makeup in the office lest i be mistaken for a highschooler waiting for her mom at work.

nonetheless, i still believe all pinays are naturally beautiful. makeup should just highlight that fact.

so true! a lot of them here think im twelve! heheh... ok maybe 16-18 lol... but still im 26 already and yet they still wont believe it or wont take me seriously coz of the way i look... not that i mind... but true make-up help sometimes (and no im not saying thick make-up)... although ever since, i seldom wear make (only if there's an occasion like weddings). mom said at least wear lipstick hehe. so i do most of the time... and my allergy to foundations/powders prevent me also...

Citizenship N-400

4/15/2010- sent my N-400 via fedex overnight

4/16/2010- signed and delivered

4/29/2010- check cleared

Timeline
To add: Take care of your skin as well. Invest on healthy skin so you won't have to stress too much over unhealthy complexion. :)

true! well i dont eat veggies heheh (at least 90% of the time which is so bad for me)... i wish i know how to put make-up on. mixing w/ colors etc. the only regular routine for me is lipgloss (chaps to be exact. really dry here in CO. lol) and some light lipsticks. i seldom wear eye liner (if i remember that i have one), i like mascara but i dont know where i put it heheh... and as much as i like to put foundation/powder on my face sometimes, it gives me rashes and pimples... though for a "very" and "rarely" special occasions, i dont have a choice but wear foundation and some eyeliner and my lipgloss+lipstick... simplicity is beauty but my mom always reminds me that its good to look and feel good for yourself. although some men and even my hubby keeps telling me i dont need make-up etc, i still feel like somehow i need to sometimes, and when i do, then he complements that i look good on it. lol... weird

Oh well, my opinion here is its a case to case basis. Some women feels good w/ some make-up on their face, some feels better w/out any make-up on as most Filipinas just wanna be simple. Whatever makes you feel good, happy and comfortable, its all up to you. We also know the fact that some were blessed w/ a natural beauty and some needs something to cover up or enhance their beauty, which there's nothing wrong about it, right? Just be careful in choosing the right make-up that fits for your skin type and the occasion. If its daytime, just put some light make-up and for evening affairs, better try something different but don't make it too heavy like you're wearing a mask and nobody can recognize that its you haha! Feeling good for yourself and making your fiance/husband happy :) w/ your look is the most important thing to consider.

Anyway, for those who want some other make-up advice, here's the link you could visit: http://www.videojug.com/tag/make-up. I hope it could help you!

I mostly eat veggies, I LOVE 'em. i only eat fish, beef and chicken (w/o the skin) meat once in a while, i can live without it. lol. i do not wear lotion or use any kind of facial wash (i.e. Ponds, Clean & Clear, etc.). I remove makeup on my face with Dove soap and then scrub my face with fresh sliced tomato, then rinse off with cold water. I thank my mom cause she introduced veggies to us when we are kids. So my sisters and I never encountered skin problems at all. Eating veggies resulted to a healthy skin for me. :thumbs: Plus i drink more than 8 glasses of water every day and i do exercise regularly. I am into sport, Taekwondo, for 12 years now.

For hair, don't use too much hair dye or any other treatment. It will make your hair dull and dry. I do not blow dry my hair either, i just tie it up & let it dry after i take a bath/shower. For hot oil, I use virgin coconut oil on my hair and i cover it with shower cap for 10-15 minutes and wash it off with my regular shampoo. It's my mom/lil sister who trims my hair or sometimes i do it myself. LOL. There is no way in hell someone would touch my hair, i love it for being naturally thick, strong, soft and shiny and i do not want it to get messed by someone. I would kill for that..HAHAHA!! just kidding.

You Are What You Eat. :star: and of course, do not let bad stress get you (hmm.. avoid ang wrinkles hahaha!).

Soy la casa de mi amado y mi amado es mío.

To add: Take care of your skin as well. Invest on healthy skin so you won't have to stress too much over unhealthy complexion. :)

true! well i dont eat veggies heheh (at least 90% of the time which is so bad for me)... i wish i know how to put make-up on. mixing w/ colors etc. the only regular routine for me is lipgloss (chaps to be exact. really dry here in CO. lol) and some light lipsticks. i seldom wear eye liner (if i remember that i have one), i like mascara but i dont know where i put it heheh... and as much as i like to put foundation/powder on my face sometimes, it gives me rashes and pimples... though for a "very" and "rarely" special occasions, i dont have a choice but wear foundation and some eyeliner and my lipgloss+lipstick... simplicity is beauty but my mom always reminds me that its good to look and feel good for yourself. although some men and even my hubby keeps telling me i dont need make-up etc, i still feel like somehow i need to sometimes, and when i do, then he complements that i look good on it. lol... weird

I mostly eat veggies, I LOVE 'em. i only eat fish, beef and chicken (w/o the skin) meat once in a while, i can live without it. lol. i do not wear lotion or use any kind of facial wash (i.e. Ponds, Clean & Clear, etc.). I remove makeup on my face with Dove soap and then scrub my face with fresh sliced tomato, then rinse off with cold water. I thank my mom cause she introduced veggies to us when we are kids. So my sisters and I never encountered skin problems at all. Eating veggies resulted to a healthy skin for me. :thumbs: Plus i drink more than 8 glasses of water every day and i do exercise regularly. I am into sport, Taekwondo, for 12 years now.

For hair, don't use too much hair dye or any other treatment. It will make your hair dull and dry. I do not blow dry my hair either, i just tie it up & let it dry after i take a bath/shower. For hot oil, I use virgin coconut oil on my hair and i cover it with shower cap for 10-15 minutes and wash it off with my regular shampoo. It's my mom/lil sister who trims my hair or sometimes i do it myself. LOL. There is no way in hell someone would touch my hair, i love it for being naturally thick, strong, soft and shiny and i do not want it to get messed by someone. I would kill for that..HAHAHA!! just kidding.

You Are What You Eat. :star: and of course, do not let bad stress get you (hmm.. avoid ang wrinkles hahaha!).

OMG!!! same here! at least most of us pinay do this esp. in phil. and guess what? i think, if not all, most of the girls i know in the US use blow dry after shower regardless if their hair is long or a bob... one day i showed up for work and my hair was still a bit damp, my co-worker commented me that she loved my wet look hehehe... i told her its not just a "wet look" its actually wet heheh... when we stayed at our friends house, i was walking on their kitchen with my hair wet and offered me if i wana use her hair dryer lol (no thanks)... i never owned a hair dryer and although 95% of the hotels we go to has a blower i never touch it (maybe just one time when i need to coz we go snowboarding and i dont want my hair go freeze on me coz its wet heheh)... and yes my parents are veggie lovers they even forced me to eat it when i was a kid but i used to have water by my side so when i eat them its just go straightly to my stomach... i love potatoes though and lettuces and bok choy (pechay in phil), i used to love kalabasa too and malungay but only when my mom makes it for me (soup)... i think michigan is a humid state so ur skin wont get so dry compared to colorado. though there's still gona be a huge transition (especially for some)... and as for shampoo here in the states, gosh it gives me dryness and split ends... oh well, you'll get to experience this wackiness when you get here, its gona be fun! :whistle:

Citizenship N-400

4/15/2010- sent my N-400 via fedex overnight

4/16/2010- signed and delivered

4/29/2010- check cleared

Timeline

i love this thread..im so into make-up! can't live without it....IT'S ALL ABOUT FEELING GOOD, YOU KNOW... if you feel good and comfortable with or withour make up, i think thats what matters.Well, i make sure i feel good inside and out..Outside, as early as now, i make preparations such as, going to facial centers, body scrub and some laser hair removal hehe...When i get on the plane (hopefully)...i should never forget to wear just light make up and just do retouch from time to time.

HERE' s MY CHEKCLIST ShaneJean: ( for us make-up lovers)

and for convenience sake i will bring:

1. wet tissue instead of liquid soap to wash face and remove make-up then re-apply.

2. moisturizer of course, OLAY total effects is the best so far (i notice that you won't need toner, it automatically minimizes your pores).

3. liquid foundation

4. eyeshadow and lipstick palette by careline (different shades of lpstick and eyeshadows are all in one small case), and the eyeshadows can be used as alternative for blush on.

5. lipliner (optional)

6. eyeliner (optional)

7. face powder (san-san) hiyang ako dyan eh hehe...

THE GOLDEN RULE: too much of something is bad enough, so just make it all light to achieve a more natural look.

Know your color, shape of face, lips, and eyebrows, your cheekbone, contour of eyes.

Message me if you want some make-up tips lol

October 27, 2008 - K1 petition sent to VSC

October 29, 2008 - NOA1 received

--no touches, no FRE's--

March 04, 2009 - NOA2 received in email

March 09, 2009 - case left from NVC to USEM Manila

March 24, 2009 - called USEM to set an interview appointment

March 24-25 - Medical

April 23, 2009 - INTERVIEW----PASSED!

April 27, 2009 - Visa ready for pick-up

April 27, 2009 - CFO Seminar

May, 02 2009 - Flight to USA (Phils,-Japan-Houston-Huntsville AL)

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Laura - That all has a lot to do with static inside the plane. Some airlines do have hair gels inside their restrooms and I just hope you are lucky enough to get into one. I would advise, antifrizz cream that you can apply after you shower and blow dry it. This hopefully helps out with the frizz. And should you need a retouch, wetting the hair a little bit before landing could help. :) I have lonfg hair with very fine strands, I have that problem too and this has always worked for me. Hope this helps.

Thanks!

Timeline
i love this thread..im so into make-up! can't live without it....IT'S ALL ABOUT FEELING GOOD, YOU KNOW... if you feel good and comfortable with or withour make up, i think thats what matters.Well, i make sure i feel good inside and out..Outside, as early as now, i make preparations such as, going to facial centers, body scrub and some laser hair removal hehe...When i get on the plane (hopefully)...i should never forget to wear just light make up and just do retouch from time to time.

1. wet tissue instead of liquid soap to wash face and remove make-up then re-apply.

2. moisturizer of course, OLAY total effects is the best so far (i notice that you won't need toner, it automatically minimizes your pores).

3. liquid foundation

4. eyeshadow and lipstick palette by careline (different shades of lpstick and eyeshadows are all in one small case), and the eyeshadows can be used as alternative for blush on.

5. lipliner (optional)

6. eyeliner (optional)

THE GOLDEN RULE: too much of something is bad enough, so just make it all light to achieve a more natural look.

Know your color, shape of face, lips, and eyebrows, your cheekbone, contour of eyes.

OMG!! a make-u lover like me. LOL

That's a good checklist. My everyday light makeup consist of the following:

1. concealer

2. gel/cream foundation

3. eyeliner

4. mascara

5. and lip gloss/shimmer

I use eyeshadow only when i go to a party or special occasion. I seldom use blush on. Oh, make sure your wet tissue/wipes is hypoallergenic and with vitamin E. I can't remember the brand name of the last wet wipes i used, i will let you know when i get the brand name. :thumbs:

Soy la casa de mi amado y mi amado es mío.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

I AGREE!!!

ppe47ozqawgdn.png

HappyDancer is a proud wife to a country boy in KY.

I-130 for Parents (Mom and Dad)

3.15.2014: Mailed I-130 Packet for Mom and Dad

3.21.2014: Received email notification with case # for both petitions; case forwarded to NBC for processing

3.21.2014: Check cashed

3.22.2014: Hard copy NOA1 received

4.08.2014: Both I-130 approved (notification received via email) - It only took three weeks!!!

4.11.2014: Received NOA2 approval notice in the mail.

5.01.2014: Called NVC to ask for status of paperwork. Advised they received both application on 4.28. Advised to call in 30 business days for an update.

6.02.2014: Email notification received from NVC that shows parents' NVC case number and instructions to pay AOS Fee and fill out DS 261.

6.03.2014: Paid AOS fee ($88 for both petitions)

N400:
4.26.2013: Mailed N400 Packet

5.21.2013: Biometrics

7.18.2013: Testing and Interview

9.25.2013: Oath Ceremony

Medical at St. Lukes:
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/183224-experience-medical-at-st-lukes-extension-clinic/

K1 with K2 Visa Interview:
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/184246-usem-interview-on-march-10-at-7am-approved/page__p__2728465#entry2728465

CFO:Review, tips and advise:
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/186123-cforeview-tips-and-advise/

don't forget a really good moisturizer before you put on makeup and a gentle make-up remover afterwards!

if you can get a moisturizer and sunblock in one, better

i regret not using the sunblock sooner, now i see freckles where there were none before :(

Edited by neenuh

Feelicks <3 Neenuh

04.23.07 sent I-130 packet

04.25.07 USPS confirmed I-130 packet delivered

05.18.07 money order cashed

08.09.07 received NOA1

09.23.07 received NOA2

10.23.07 received I-864 AOS fee

12.14.07 received I-864 AOS instructions

12.15.07 mailed DS-3032

01.04.08 received IV fee

02.15.08 mailed I-864 AOS packet

02.15.08 mailed money order for IV fee

03.03.08 received IV packet

04.09.08 received I-864 AOS RFE

07.19.08 mailed I-864 RFE documents

12.19.08 mailed IV packet

01.02.09 case completed at the NVC

02.24.09 NVC interview packet arrived

02.25.09 SLEC medical DAY 1

02.27.09 SLEC medical DAY 2

03.02.09 SLEC medical DAY 3 PASSED!

03.05.09 USEM interview @ 6:30am APPROVED!

03.07.09 visas in hand

04.20.09 Arrived at SFO

05.05.09 Received SSN

Timeline

3. liquid foundation

5. lipliner (optional)

6. eyeliner (optional)

ADDITIONAL SUGGESTIONS:

USE EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL AS A MAKE-UP REMOVER, IT IS HEALTHIER AND MAKES YOUR FACE SMOOTH TOO. JUST DAB A LITTLE ON A COTTON BALL AND WIPE OUT YOUR MAKE UP SOFTLY.

FOR MAKE-UP BASE USE PRODUCT THAT HAS UVA/UVB PROTECTION LIKE NEUTROGENA. :)

K1 Process:
April 22, 2008 I-129F NOA1
Aug. 25, 2008 I-129F NOA2
Aug. 28, 2008 NVC left
Sept. 09, 2008 Consulate received
Sept. 16, 2008 Appointment notice received
Sept. 23, 2008 Filed Jap. police clearance
Sept. 24-25, 2008 Medical exam Done. Thank God I'm healthy
Oct. 03, 2008 Interview date
Nov. 11, 2008 Got a call from Jap. Embassy PC ready for pick up
Nov. 13, 2008 Picked up and submitted the Police clearance to USEM
Nov. 28, 2008 Visa is ready for delivery
Dec. 02, 2008 Visa in transit to Cebu (delayed bcuz Dec. 1 was holiday)
Dec. 03, 2008 Visa received abot na jud tawn Thank you Lord.
Dec. 08, 2008 POE Hawaii, Honolulu
Dec. 09, 2008 Got married (wedding and honeymoon in Hawaii)
Dec. 12, 2008 Newly wed couple flew to SFO, CA

AOS Process:
Feb. 04, 2009 USCIS received AOS docs.
Feb. 12, 2009 NOA received (AOS and EAD)
Feb. 13, 2009 Biometrics appointment received
Feb. 25, 2009 Biometrics schedule (10 AM) San Francisco DONE
March 14, 2009 Received interview schedule
April 11, 2009 Received EAD card
April 21, 2009 Interview (APPROVED) (2 months 17 days from filing)

April 28, 2009 Welcome Letter received
May 2, 2009 GREEN CARD received (2 months and 29 days)
May 22, 2009 Filed SSN
May 24, 2009 Got SSN at SSA
June 11, 2009 SSN Card received in mail

Naturalization

April 30, 2013 N-400 mailed (i used regular mail not express)

May 3, 2013 NOA priority date (received in mail 05/09/13)
May 8, 2013 Check cashed out, received text and email (N-400 accepted)

May 31, 2013 Biometrics

June 4, 2013 In Line

June 6, 2013 Received email and text N400 has been scheduled
June 10, 2013 Received letter in mail
July 16, 2013 Interview @3:30pm SFO

qlko09mo73vl.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.