Honored

Spouse accompanying me for interview ?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi all

I was wondering if it would be a good idea if my spouse would accompany me for the interview. He wants to come here a day before interview and we would then fly out to USA after 2 weeks. Will he be allowed to enter the consulate ? he is a US citizen.

Also, will this create any problem or so, or is it better ? please help as he has done all the paper work for me including my forms and i dont know much abt it.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

Yes, it is a good idea if he is there with you for the interview. He may not be allowed to be at your side during the interview, but you can carry his passport with you to show that he is in the building.

You will need to study those forms carefully, so that you can answer questions about what was written. Often, people are asked tough questions about their fiance, just to be sure they know each other quite well.

You can never be sure you will have your visa that soon after the interview. There may be some administrative processing to complete.

Edited by Old Dominion

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: India
Timeline
Yes, it is a good idea if he is there with you for the interview. He may not be allowed to be at your side during the interview, but you can carry his passport with you to show that he is in the building.

You will need to study those forms carefully, so that you can answer questions about what was written. Often, people are asked tough questions about their fiance, just to be sure they know each other quite well.

You can never be sure you will have your visa that soon after the interview. There may be some administrative processing to complete.

hmmm, well this is K3 visa and we are married. so usually in my country in India ( in chennai ) they usually mail the visa after 1-2 days , but every case cud be different.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
Hi all

I was wondering if it would be a good idea if my spouse would accompany me for the interview. He wants to come here a day before interview and we would then fly out to USA after 2 weeks. Will he be allowed to enter the consulate ? he is a US citizen.

Also, will this create any problem or so, or is it better ? please help as he has done all the paper work for me including my forms and i dont know much abt it.

Non-Immigrant Visas > Frequently Asked Questions

http://chennai.usconsulate.gov/frequently_..._questions.html

Non-immigrant visa > What’s new

http://chennai.usconsulate.gov/nivwhatnew2.html

Attention Indian passport holders:

To process your visa cases efficiently, we recommend your surname and the given name written separately on the first page (the biographic data page) of your passport.

Example:

Surname (last name): Wesley

Given name (first name): John Edward

Once your visa is approved, the immigrant and the nonimmigrant visas will be printed as your name appears in your passport. If you do not have a surname listed separately, your entire name will be printed on the surname field of the visa. Your first name will be printed as "FNU" (first name unknown), per U.S. visa regulations.

By having "FNU" listed as your given name on your visa, you may have difficulty obtaining a driver’s license and social security card in the United States. If you would like to correct the surname and given name fields on your passport biographic data page, you must have an observation made in your passport by the Indian Passport Authorities. In order for your name to be correctly printed on your visa, you must have this observation made before coming for your interview.

Thank you for your cooperation.

*IR-1 Visa* VSC

I-130 (IR-1):

07/22/2008: NOA1

02/17/2009: I-130 NOA2: Approved in 210 days from NOA1 date

I-129F (K-3):

08/11/2008: NOA1

02/17/2009: I-129F NOA2: Approved in 190 days from NOA1 date

<not pursuing I-129F petition further but NVC forwarded case to Consulate on 02/24/2009>

NVC Journey:

02/19/2009: NVC Received/Case number assigned for I-130

02/20/2009: DS-3032 sent by e-mail and 03/04/2009: DS-3032 sent by regular mail

02/26/2009: NVC received DS-3032 Choice of Agent selection

02/26/2009: DS-3032 accepted and AOS Bill Generated but not IV Bill

02/28/2009: AOS Bill Package received in mail

02/28/2009: Paid AOS Bill and IV Bill (as it was available) online

03/03/2009: Both AOS and IV Bill Show as Paid and Coversheet Printed

03/04/2009: Mailed I-864 and IV (DS-230) Packages

03/06/2009: I-864 and IV Packages Received by NVC and Scanned on 03/10/2009

03/13/2009: Case completed at NVC (in 17 working days from date NVC Received)

03/25/2009: Interview date assigned by NVC

US Consulate @ Mumbai, India

04/02/2009: Medical Exam (based on NVC e-mail for interview)

04/13/2009: Interview Packet Received from US Consulate

04/16/2009: Documents submitted at VFS office

[Classified]: Date of Interview

USA Journey

02/21/2009: Permanent Resident # Received (Ref: NOA2 of USCIS)

05/2009: POE

##/##/2009: Permanent Resident Card

##/##/2009: SSN

Love must be sincere............Roman 12:9

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
Hi all

Which consulate you would be going through? With recent cases, Delhi and Chennai have let USC spouse enter consulate, but Mumbai doesn't allow. To be on the safe side, ask your husband to get a permission from whichever consulate you are going through by emailing their IV department.

We went through Mumbai consulate and my USC husband wasn't allowed inside, so were other USC's too going through Mumbai.

But none the less its almost is a good thing that your spouse is with you, even if he isn't allowed into the consulate, make sure you have his passport with you as a proof that he is standing outside.

Best of luck for the interview.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline
Hi all

I accompanied my wife during her interview and we definately think it helped (even though she went into a 2 week AP)...i was even able to stand at the window with her while it was conducted...very brief questions and with all the phone records, e-mails, and 300 pics we brought along, they only requested 5 pics...they didn't even ask to see my passport, which proved i traveled there 7 times to visit...our interview was on election day, later that night we both watched MR O win the election from a local tavern...ahhhh....the memories...lol

Edited by Lars-N-Yenia

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hi ,

They can not deny Entry to a Us citizen , I our case (k1) my Fiance was with me , and that helped us 1000 % , We both where interviewd . Which i have never heard of .So from our experence , that a great benefit to have your Fiance or spouse with you .

Best of luck .

• 7 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
Hi all

Which consulate you would be going through? With recent cases, Delhi and Chennai have let USC spouse enter consulate, but Mumbai doesn't allow. To be on the safe side, ask your husband to get a permission from whichever consulate you are going through by emailing their IV department.

We went through Mumbai consulate and my USC husband wasn't allowed inside, so were other USC's too going through Mumbai.

But none the less its almost is a good thing that your spouse is with you, even if he isn't allowed into the consulate, make sure you have his passport with you as a proof that he is standing outside.

Best of luck for the interview.

Hi Trinket,

My wife sent DS-230 package and is waiting for further instructions. She's in Gujarat, Surat so she has interview at Mumbai. I'm planning to travel like a day before the interview so I can be there with her on the interview day. You think it's a good idea to make a trip and be there with her? Does it make the visa process better? And where can I email to get the permission? :help:

CR-1/NVC
November 16, 2009: Sign-in Failed!!
November 16, 2009: December interviews already scheduled. Operator told me to wait for a possible January interview date. Call back in the 2nd week of December
November 30, 2009: Been trying to call NVC but line busy since late after noon. Finally, got email appointment letter from NVC with the Interview date of January 19, 2010. Yeppe Alhamdulillah>
December 24, 2009: Medical Done and report recieved the same day.
January 11, 2010: Medical submitted at VFS. They asked for: Copy of Packet 3, Appointment letter, and Passport. They told her to take a copy of I-864 and the documents submitted with it, at the time of interview with other proof of relationship documents.
January 19, 2010: VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
January 21, 2010: Visa recieved in mail (Package included passport with visa stamped, sealed big brown envelop to be submitted at POE immigration at the airport, and instructions to apply for SS Card)

USA
February 07, 2010: POE Chicago --> Very easy, within 45 minutes
March 02, 2010: SS Card recieved in mail. Welcome letter recieved in mail as well
March 13, 2010: GC Recieved in mail

January 29, 2015: N-400 Application submitted

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.