pri

Do i need to inform Canada of my move

12 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I know this should be on this forum somewhere but cant find any links my questions are

1. I moved here in Jun 06 am a canadian citizen i did not inform or cancelled my licence or health card in canada before i moved is that a issue do we have to fill in something letting the authorities know i am no longer staying in canada.

2. Also if i am no longer staying in canada and wish to renew my passport and driving licence is that a problem and how do i get that done?

any other info/link available is appreciated

Thanks

Pri

PARENTS JOURNEY

Dec 10 - sent I130 for Mom & Dad

Jan- Recd NOA1

Feb- Recd RFE for missing BC

Mar- Recd RFE for missing BC

Apr- NOA2 Case approved

May- NVC case #

May- paid $88 AOS FEE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi All,

I know this should be on this forum somewhere but cant find any links my questions are

1. I moved here in Jun 06 am a canadian citizen i did not inform or cancelled my licence or health card in canada before i moved is that a issue do we have to fill in something letting the authorities know i am no longer staying in canada.

It is a good idea to notify your Provincial health plan that you are no longer resident and therefore not eligible for health coverage. That being said, that was the one place I didn't notify as my health card was due for renewal within a few months and it was already expiring so I wouldn't be renewing it:-). You will also want to notify Canada Revenue Agency so you can prepare your exit tax returns (you need to file a final return effective to the date you left Canada) and they can mail you the proper forms to your new address. You will also want to notify the federal department responsible for Social Insurance/Canada Pension Plan because you have contributed earnings to CPP and are eligible to claim them on retirement. I am not sure what the proper Department is right now (I left 5 years ago) but you should be able to find it. They will mail you statements about your CPP. If you have a private pension provider through work you will also want to notify them of your new US address.

2. Also if i am no longer staying in canada and wish to renew my passport and driving licence is that a problem and how do i get that done?

You can print out an application form online for Canadians living in the US and submit that to the address in Quebec. http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/index.aspx You cannot renew a Canadian driver's license without a Canadian address. You should be using one from the US by now. If you claim a Canadian address and the US finds out you may be putting your US residency (green card) at risk. Get a US driver's license from your State. I am not sure it is even legal for you to be driving on a Canadian license if you have been living here since 2006. Most States have a requirement that you need to get a local license within a specific time of taking up residency.

Thanks

Pri

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bermuda
Timeline

Canadian drivers licenses are only available to Canadian residents.

When I activated my K-1 visa there was a guy in arguing with the border patrol guys. He had an Ontario drivers license and a green card. The officer told him that the license was evidence that he was a Canadian resident and so invalidated his green card. It was quite the argument. I've no idea how it turned out though since we got out of secondary pretty quickly.

~ Catherine

Timeline

Has anyone in Ontario actually cancelled their OHIP card and/or driver's license? I was going to wait until it expired, but I'd rather cancel it. The only thing I could find on the MTO website, was how to change your gender on the license if you had a sex-change operation but nothing about cancelling it!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Has anyone in Ontario actually cancelled their OHIP card and/or driver's license? I was going to wait until it expired, but I'd rather cancel it. The only thing I could find on the MTO website, was how to change your gender on the license if you had a sex-change operation but nothing about cancelling it!

I'm wondering the same thing. I think once you get a new driver's licence it just cancels out the Ontario one so I don't we actually need to cancel it.

In terms of OHIP cards, I have one of those old red ones with no expiry date, so I should probably figure out how to cancel it.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

I'm wondering the same thing. I think once you get a new driver's licence it just cancels out the Ontario one so I don't we actually need to cancel it.

In terms of OHIP cards, I have one of those old red ones with no expiry date, so I should probably figure out how to cancel it.

True, when I got my PA license they punched a hole thru my ON one, but ON doesn't know that so I thought I may have to let them know.... I guess when they mail me the renewal I'll just toss it. And that will esentially cancel it. Whoa you have a real old school OHIP card!!

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Timeline

I cancelled my daughter's and my Health cards - I have the old red and white and she had a newer one.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public...ohipfaq_dt.html

# 26 Do I need to cancel my OHIP coverage if I plan to move to a location outside Ontario?

You should contact the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care with any change of address. If you move to a location outside Ontario, you should inform the ministry of your new address and the date of your move as soon as possible. To inform the ministry of your move, you can either :

Obtain a "Change of Information" form and return it by mail. Forms are available from your local OHIP office or from the Forms Online

or

Send a letter to your local OHIP office. You must include your name, health card number, telephone number, current address and new address including postal code.

The ministry will end your OHIP coverage based on the information that you provide.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

Thanks U&W! I'm doing that now!!

K-1

AOS

ROC

Citizenship:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I didn't notify anyone at all when I moved. They just took my old licence and gave me the new one, but never called to inform any authorities there for anything...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Pri,

As for moving, from Canada to the USA (I've been here in the USA since 2006), I did the following:

I notified:

-Revenue Canada and Elections Canada (with the "final tax return" in 2007, to prevent tax fraud and to officially notify the Canadian government that I'm not living in Canada anymore)

-Passport Canada (when they added my married name to my maiden name passport in 2007)

-Passport Canada again (when I applied for a new passport recently in my married name in 2009. I renewed my passport in-person in St.Catherine's, Ontario, which you can read about here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...c=180243&hl)

-I also closed my Canadian bank account in Canada (2007).

I did not notify:

-Social Insurance (Human Resources Canada, I think) as I wouldn't be working in Canada anymore and wouldn't need a new card anyways.

-OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance) as my card already expired and I can't use it here, so I never renewed it.

-MTO (Ministry of Transportation Ontario) as my license was automatically transfered, surrendered, and destroyed here by the DMV in NYS. Note: You cannot have 2 driver's licenses at the same time (at least that's the way it is here in NYS), so you would either have to pick between the American one or the Canadian one to keep.

Anyone else I need to notify, I can't think of, and haven't done such.

Hope this helps. Good luck on the rest of your immigration journey too.

Ant (Still waiting for the I-751, Still waiting for Baby...)

Hi All,

Thanks

Pri

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Timeline
I didn't notify anyone at all when I moved. They just took my old licence and gave me the new one, but never called to inform any authorities there for anything...

Neither did I. I guess I didn't think about any of that when I moved in 2007. I have since tried to contact the Federal Revenue Department but always end up getting a busy signal.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

Darn gov't offices :)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.