WhidbeyGirl

Just a thought question, not serious - yet

6 posts in this topic

On both of my visits I spent a lot of time with a beautiful 3 year boy, Emmanuel. He adores my SO and attached himself to me within the first hour of meeting him. The woman who is raising him asked if we wanted to bring him to the US and adopt him. At first I thought I would love to, but as I continue to think on it, I think it would extremely difficult. Here's the situation: His father is Liberian and his mother Senegalese. His mother left him at birth and doesn't want anything to do with him. His father did what he could for as long as he could and then decided to take him to the "The home for the Motherless". My SO's Liberian friend wouldn't let the boys father do that stating "No Liberian child will be put in a Senegalese orphanage" so she has Emmanuel. She is the one who is raising him and has now decided she would rather travel and is sending her 2 daughters to live with their grandmother.

It's such a sticky situation without documents I believe it would just get messy.

Anyways, I started looking on the USCIS website regarding adoptions - talk about governmental hoops to jump through!!! Then I had this thought - what if SO adopted him there in Senegal? Then we submit another petition to include Emmanuel. I don't know if this is possible - just having these running thoughts.

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

02/23/09 ............I-130 sent

03/27/09.............NOA2

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

07/10/09.............Interview assigned

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

07/14/09.............Forward the case to Embassy in Dakar, Senegal

09/28/09.............Visa in Hand

TOTAL 80 DAYS

VISA GRAND TOTAL 217 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Conditional Resident Journey

09/29/09.............POE New York PIECE OF CAKE!!!

10/27/09.............2 year Green card received

TOTAL 29 DAYS

Removal of Conditions Journey

07/18/11.............I-751 packet sent

03/23/12............10yr GC Received

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

07/03/12.............N-400 packet sent

07/23/12.............Resent N-400 packet (husband FORGOT check!)

08/23/12.............Biometrics done

09/12/12.............Interview letter received

10/16/12.............Interview scheduled

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Good luck! It will be a whole nothing journey in itself.

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

Your SO can proceed with the adoption according to Senegalese law. Many African countries have made adoption quite difficult if it entails moving the child to the U.S., primarily due to child trafficking and enslavement. So it's best not to disclose the child's possible future while adopting.

Your SO can proceed with the adoption according to Senegalese law. Many African countries have made adoption quite difficult if it entails moving the child to the U.S., primarily due to child trafficking and enslavement. So it's best not to disclose the child's possible future while adopting.

That's kinda what I thought.

VISA JOURNEY

USCIS Journey

02/23/09 ............I-130 sent

03/27/09.............NOA2

TOTAL 32 DAYS

NVC Journey

04/15/09.............Case # Assigned

07/10/09.............Interview assigned

TOTAL 105 DAYS

Embassy Journey

07/14/09.............Forward the case to Embassy in Dakar, Senegal

09/28/09.............Visa in Hand

TOTAL 80 DAYS

VISA GRAND TOTAL 217 DAYS

US CITIZENSHIP JOURNEY

Conditional Resident Journey

09/29/09.............POE New York PIECE OF CAKE!!!

10/27/09.............2 year Green card received

TOTAL 29 DAYS

Removal of Conditions Journey

07/18/11.............I-751 packet sent

03/23/12............10yr GC Received

TOTAL 249 DAYS

Naturalization Journey

07/03/12.............N-400 packet sent

07/23/12.............Resent N-400 packet (husband FORGOT check!)

08/23/12.............Biometrics done

09/12/12.............Interview letter received

10/16/12.............Interview scheduled

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

If you've already started the process without putting the child on the petition for your husband, it will be difficult to add him later. It is also difficult to adopt when you don't have letters from both parents giving up their parental rights. Adoption is not easy, but if you really feel his place is with you then it is worth all the difficulties involved.

K-1 (more detail in profile):

05-25-05 - Applied for I-129F

06-07-05 - Approved

12-01-05 - Picked up visa!!

AOS:

12-25-05 - Flight lands at JFK - EAD stamp

05-15-06 - Green card received!! Woo-hoo!!!

05-09-07 - Our first son born!

Removal of Conditions

01-29-08 - Mailed Removal of Conditions Application (overnight)

02-07-08 - Check Cashed

02-08-08 - NOA1

03-12-08 - Biometrics

12-12-08 - Card production ordered! Yay!

12-30-08 - 10 year card received! Yay!

Naturalization

01-12-10 - Mailed application

01-20-10 - NOA

02-16-10 - Biometrics

04-21-10 - Interview

04-21-10 - Oath ceremony - US CITIZEN!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.