anchau

Change B-2 visa to student visa F1

7 posts in this topic

You will have to file a form I-539 to change the status while in the US. (of course she can change status back home)

You have to change status before you present authorized stay expires. USCIS recommends to apply no later than 60 days before your I-94 expires.

She will not be able to attend school till after the change is authorized. This is very important!

This will explain it in more detail.

Change Status FAQ

Edited by Bobby_Umit

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I thought you cant adjust to a student visa from a b2 from the us?

Edited by ♥Stiggy♥

Sarinha

First met March 2007, playing an MMORPG (ffxi)

Getting married Feb 12 2010

Will start our VJ Feb 2010

2c61618b8b94d52d.gif

I-130 Journey - VSC CR1 & CR2

02-xx-10 -I-130 sent

xx-xx-10- I-130 NOA1

xx-xx-xx- I-130 NOA2

- Total Days from NOA 1 to NOA2 xxx

I-129F Journey - VSC K3 & K4

xx-xx-xx I-130 Received @ NVC

xx-xx-xx Case Completed at NVC :

xx-xx-xx NVC Left:

- Total Days from NOA1 to NVC Complete xx

- Total Days @ NVC xx

Consulate

xx-xx-xx Received at Consulate

xx-xx-xx Medical Date

xx-xx-xx Interview Date [ ] Pass [ ] Fail

- Total Days from Recd at Consulate to Interview xxx

- Total Days from NOA1 to Interview xxx

The FAQ says you can apply, doesn't mean it will be granted though :whistle:

Only C, D, K-1/2, S, TMOV, WT/WB are prohibited from adjusting. J1/M1 have restrictions, but can adjust if they are met.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

F-1 visas are specific to a school. The B-2 visitor needs to be accepted by the school first, and they will initiate the change. See 2. OVERVIEW OF THE STEPS TO BECOME AN F OR M NONIMMIGRANT STUDENT:

2.2. From within the United States

The prospective nonimmigrant student must:

1. Be in the United States in a valid nonimmigrant status and eligible to change to F-1 or M-1 status (See USCIS website on who may change status).

2. Be accepted by an SEVP-certified school, receive a Form I-20, and pay the SEVIS I-901 fee, as in steps 1 to 3 above.

3. Use a Form I-539 to apply to USCIS for a change of status.

4. Receive approval from USCIS for the change of status.

5. Be prepared to depart the United States immediately if the change of status application is denied.

I hope this helps. It looks like there is an alphabetical list of approved schools on the site as well as a map to find one.

AOS

Date Filed: 2008-08-27

NOA Date: 2008-09-02

Bio. Appt.: 2008-09-18

AOS Transfer: 2008-09-22 to CSC; 2008-11-25 to local office

Approval/Denial Date: 2009-02-10 card production ordered

Greencard Received: 2009-02-20

Removal of Conditions

Date mailed: 2010-11-12

NOA Date: 2010-11-15

Approved: 2011-04-28 card production ordered

Received card: 2011-05-04

• 2 years later...
Filed: Timeline

I have a question, if I make mi change of status from B2 to F1, will I be allowed to come out of the country any time I want? of course not for a long time just to visist family and things like that... because a I know that just embassies has the authority to stamp your passport and the change of status is done at the inmigration office, isn't it?, and somebody told me that they just give you a paper with the authorization to study but with that paper I'm not allowed to travel is that true?..

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

you are right this is on and off, after 9/11 they had stopped converting from B1/2 to F1 student had to go to their home country and apply and it continued to stay that way for some time.

Then I had heard they were letting students convert in some case and some they were rejecting

You will not know until you apply..... so there is only one way to find out is to apply :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.