24 posts in this topic

I concur with other posts to seek the advice of a competent immigration lawyer and for your husband not to leave the US until this is done and you are advised on the route to take. The I-130 should of been submitted in conjunction with the I-485 to adjust status. What you have done is submit a petition to a service center, which when approved will go through the NVC process in order for your husband to apply for a CR-1 immigrant visa at the consulate post in the UK. You didnt need the visa as he was already in the US. PLEASE get legal advice.

Wishing you all the best.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

We sent in the I-130 and the G-325A. He didn't come over with the intention of marrying me-- it just kind of happened. The original plan was for him to come for Christmas and then stay with his dad in Ohio until his return flight which was in January. We filed the I-130 package before his VWP expired, and received the NOA1 the day after his waiver expired.

Does this count as overstaying? We read somewhere that as long as there was paperwork pending, it wasn't considered an overstay, and that overstays were typically forgiven in the case of marriage anyway. If it does count as an overstay, what will that mean for us?

What *was* your intention when filing the I-130?

"we read somewhere" is not what I'd call detailed research. You need a legal intervention. Sorry to be blunt.

As to the overstay and what to do about it? Your husband should not leave the US under any circumstances (unless he's going for good) until you two have a firm understanding of what you're doing and what your particulars are. You'll get that from a lawyer.

I know that it wasn't detailed research-- we posted here on VJ and spoke to relatives who have had similar situations, and what we filed was what was suggested to us. We were just told that his visa was going to be sent to the consulate in England, and they would have to stamp his passport there-- which would indicate that we have to go there anyway.

If you reviewed your own initial posts here at VJ, several people explained where you should look and what the difference between a visa and an adjustment of status are.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...ic=4021&hl=

The last post spells out clearly what his status would be by only filing the I-130. I see that finances were/are your main concern; had you filed properly or followed up on the suggestions (hint: go back and re-read the links offered to you then) he could have applied for a work permit and would be working by now.

Don't call uscis or visit them; the people you get to talk to will give you confusing and often incorrect info. You won't know until it's too late that the info is wrong (like the answer you got yesterday).

See about borrowing the money for your applications, or pick up another PT job.

Get your yellow pages out and look for immigrant's assistance groups like Catholic Charities that offer low or no cost assistance since all the lawyer talk probably put you in a panic. You must come up with the I-485 money and get this rolling---time will not improve the situation. : (

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

We sent in the I-130 and the G-325A. He didn't come over with the intention of marrying me-- it just kind of happened. The original plan was for him to come for Christmas and then stay with his dad in Ohio until his return flight which was in January. We filed the I-130 package before his VWP expired, and received the NOA1 the day after his waiver expired.

Does this count as overstaying? We read somewhere that as long as there was paperwork pending, it wasn't considered an overstay, and that overstays were typically forgiven in the case of marriage anyway. If it does count as an overstay, what will that mean for us?

"we read somewhere" is not what I'd call detailed research. You need a legal intervention. Sorry to be blunt.

As to the overstay and what to do about it? Your husband should not leave the US under any circumstances (unless he's going for good) until you two have a firm understanding of what you're doing and what your particulars are. You'll get that from a lawyer.

I know that it wasn't detailed research-- we posted here on VJ and spoke to relatives who have had similar situations, and what we filed was what was suggested to us. We were just told that his visa was going to be sent to the consulate in England, and they would have to stamp his passport there-- which would indicate that we have to go there anyway.

If you reviewed your own initial posts here at VJ, several people explained where you should look and what the difference between a visa and an adjustment of status are.

The last post spells out clearly what his status would be by only filing the I-130. I see that finances were/are your main concern; had you filed properly or followed up on the suggestions (hint: go back and re-read the links offered to you then) he could have applied for a work permit and would be working by now.

Don't call uscis or visit them; the people you get to talk to will give you confusing and often incorrect info. You won't know until it's too late that the info is wrong (like the answer you got yesterday).

Get your yellow pages out and look for immigrant's assistance groups like Catholic Charities that offer low or no cost assistance since all the lawyer talk probably put you in a panic. You must come up with the I-485 money and get this rolling---time will not improve the situation. : (

After much digging (and reviewing my earlier posts both on this site and immigrate2us.net) I found this: http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/LPReligibility.htm#j which indicates that we should stay here to file. I also spoke with a lawyer I found and he agreed that this is what we should do.

October 2005: Met online playing World of Warcraft

December 19, 2005: David flies to America on VWP to visit

February 26, 2006: Married!

March 14, 2006: Filed I-130 ... by itself. Oops.

June 21, 2006: I-130 approved

March 12, 2007: Mailed I-485 package

April 5, 2007: Biometrics

May 30, 2007: Email notification: EAD approved!!

June 4, 2007: EAD received!!

July 24, 2007: Interview 8am APPROVED!!! Day 133 from filing. Emails for card production and welcome letter.

July 25, 2007: Passport stamped

August 6, 2007: GC in hand

.png

After much digging (and reviewing my earlier posts both on this site and immigrate2us.net) I found this: http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/LPReligibility.htm#j which indicates that we should stay here to file. I also spoke with a lawyer I found and he agreed that this is what we should do.

But has the lawyer also given you advice on what you must do now that you have filed the I-130 incorrectly.

Edited by aussiewench

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Hey i'm glad to see your getting this sorted out, I hope everything works out for you, i bet it does, Good Luck :thumbs::yes:

Edited by euro

Amanda-England (Yorkshire)- Mark-USA(Michigan)

April/04/2005- Visa journey began!!

We did both K3 & CR1 visa's, got both!!- I returned to England for my CR1 interview after first arriving on a K3 visa!!

May/25th 2006- Green card arrives in the mail................YAY!!

19th June 2006 I Had to go to the Social Security Office to get my number, the DS-230 didnt work for me!!

26-June-2006- Social Security# arrived in the mail....YAY!!

Feb 2008 lift conditions <<<reminder to self!!<<<< went to England for a visit instead, no rush right, 90 days is a long time,LOL

Removing Conditions Begins

Mailed I-751 April 12th 2008

signed for @ NSC April 16th

NOA date April 16th

Conditional GC expired May 5th 2008

Biometrics Detroit May 10th 2008

10 year Green card ordered August 20th 2008

Citizenship any time from feb 2009

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Congratulations!!!! :dance:

Maria

Got married in Killeen, Texas on April 27 2004

*°K-3 Visa°*

Oct 12 2005 - Sent I-130 to NSC

Oct 24 2005 - NOA 1

Nov 7 2005 - Sent I-129F to Chicago

Nov 9 2005 - NOA 1

Dec 5 2005 - NOA 2 - I-129F Approved!!! (28 days)

Dec 13 2005 - Application Forwarded to NVC

Dec 16 2005 - Application received by the Consulate in Italy

Jan 4 2006 - Packet 3

Jan 10 2006 - Sent "Applicant's Statement" to Naples

Jan 27 2006 - Packet 4

Feb 22 2006 - Medical and Interview

Feb 22 2006 - Interview... APPROVED Got the Visa!!!

Mar 2 2006 - I-130 case *touched*

Mar 6 2006 - RFE for the I-130 (Marriage Certificate)

Mar 14 2006 - Sent RFE to CSC

Mar 21 2006 - RFE received by CSC

Mar 30 2006 - Detroit POE - Got the I-94

Mar 31 2006 - I-130 NOA 2 - APPROVED!!! (170 days)

*°AOS°*

Mar 31 2006 - I-765 sent to Chicago

Apr 5 2006 - I-765 NOA1

Apr 7 2006 - Vaccination Supplement appt. in Cleveland

Apr 13 2006 - EAD Biometrics Appointment Letter

Apr 18 2006 - EAD Biometrics in Pittsburg

Apr 22 2006 - I-485 sent to Chicago lockbox

Apr 28 2006 - I-485 NOA1

May 3 2006 - EAD Approved!! (33 days)

May 5 2006 - EAC received (NOA2)

May 5 2006 - AOS Biometrics Appointment Letter

May 8 2006 - Applied for Social Security Number

May 11 2006 - AOS Biometrics Appointment in Pittsburgh

May 18 2006 - Social Security Card arrived in the mail

May 18 2006 - Interview Appointment Letter

May 31 2006 - Flew back to Italy

Jun 24 2006 - I-485 *touched*

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If I were in your shoes, I would also stay here to file.

I'm not sure you are clear on how to do that, which is why I'd still say you should find some help.

Good luck.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

We were told to file all of these things (two of which are optional) as soon as we got the actual approval letter in the mail:

I-485

G-325A just for husband

I-864

I-693

I-765

I-131

Copy of I-130 approval

October 2005: Met online playing World of Warcraft

December 19, 2005: David flies to America on VWP to visit

February 26, 2006: Married!

March 14, 2006: Filed I-130 ... by itself. Oops.

June 21, 2006: I-130 approved

March 12, 2007: Mailed I-485 package

April 5, 2007: Biometrics

May 30, 2007: Email notification: EAD approved!!

June 4, 2007: EAD received!!

July 24, 2007: Interview 8am APPROVED!!! Day 133 from filing. Emails for card production and welcome letter.

July 25, 2007: Passport stamped

August 6, 2007: GC in hand

.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.