AmyStan

Tourist visa to US from Philippines

45 posts in this topic

My family has had us tourist visas our whole life, we've never had problems with renewing it. Like others have said, show ties to the country by having a job, assets and money etc. Aside from this, we had a good flying record having travelled to other countries before and never overstaying. That helps too. They are very strict because so many have abused this system. She could show her k1 paperwork and vow to return for her medical and interview and it might work. I visited my fiance for his grad and commissioning last year for two weeks and had no issues. :)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Just to add that when I visited I already had a tourist visa and when passing through immigration I told them I came to attend my fiance's graduation and army commissioning. I showed the invitation, my return ticket sfo-mnl-shanghai and said I was due back for work in two weeks. He looked at my record and saw that I've had multiple entries to the US since I was 4 and never overstayed so he just told me to enjoy my vacation. Bottomline is that it depends on the situation and I think they look at facts and trust their gut instinct, I don't think I was unfairly judged just by being from the Philippines. :)

My Journey:

I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

My family has had us tourist visas our whole life, we've never had problems with renewing it. Like others have said, show ties to the country by having a job, assets and money etc. Aside from this, we had a good flying record having travelled to other countries before and never overstaying. That helps too. They are very strict because so many have abused this system. She could show her k1 paperwork and vow to return for her medical and interview and it might work. I visited my fiance for his grad and commissioning last year for two weeks and had no issues. :)

You got a Tourist Visa to USA cuz you don't look Filipino

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Well even if that was true my mom and brothers look very Filipino but it wasn't an issue for them. I was still born and raised in manila and I have no other citizenship. And we aren't rich either, just middle class. We can afford to travel because my parents work for an airline so we get huge discounts. And besides, the friends I went to school with got tourist visas too and they "look" Filipino. My bestfriend attended my wedding. :) I do have a friend who was denied one but that was because she was unemployed the time she applied. She tried again when she found a job and was able to get one. Again, its all about proof and ties.

My Journey:

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Well even if that was true my mom and brothers look very Filipino but it wasn't an issue for them. I was still born and raised in manila and I have no other citizenship. And we aren't rich either, just middle class. We can afford to travel because my parents work for an airline so we get huge discounts. And besides, the friends I went to school with got tourist visas too and they "look" Filipino. My bestfriend attended my wedding. :) I do have a friend who was denied one but that was because she was unemployed the time she applied. She tried again when she found a job and was able to get one. Again, its all about proof and ties.

P.S.

I was just messing with you...............

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

P.S.

I was just messing with you...............

Okay. Not looking "Filipino" enough is a touchy subject for me :P I am sure the future children of people in this forum will know how I feel (mixed kids). their cousins from the both sides will feel treat you differently. I was not pinay enough (plus i was automatically mayabang lol) or Swedish enough. But I guess what's good about the US is that it's a melting pot so diversity is normal. Lol ok sorry for going off topic! Blame it on tco for derailing the thread :)

Edited by Messybrownhair
My Journey:

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

In Philippines many think I from Italy or Italian

Thank God I have a very long nose which makes me "Simply Irresistable" and I am treated like a Rock Star in Philippines........

In Philippines many think I from Italy or Italian

Thank God I have a very long nose which makes me "Simply Irresistable" and I am treated like a Rock Star in Philippines........

Lol but you are a man and they will be scared to hurt you. I was almost kidnapped twice and I can't even imagine what would happened if they succeeded, because we have no money to give for ransom! Both times happened during college, and it got so bad that we had to get a driver for me and I had to stop driving or commuting to school. What made it worse was the police was no help and just told me, "Maam ang puti niyo kasi, dapat talaga hindi kayo naglalakad mag-isa." (Maam it's because you're so white, you really shouldn't be walking by yourself) When I graduated, I found a scholarship for China and just left because I was so upset. Nevertheless, I still LOVE the Philippines and I still have plans to go back and live there again. :)

My Journey:

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Lol but you are a man and they will be scared to hurt you. I was almost kidnapped twice

They do the same thing in Mexico, kidnap for ransom is prevelant there............

• 6 months later...
Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

What kind of things do you need to get a visitor visa for a filipina. My gf is in college. How much money does she need in the bank and for how long? What other requirements are there? Just point me in the right direction i want her to visit here.

I met my honey in Iloilo!!!

Timeline

QUOTE (RonMay @ Mar 22 2009, 05:47 PM) even if you deposit the money in her count they still need to verify that the money is not just for "show". meaning you have to have an active bank account where cash flows is coming in and out regularly rather than one time deposit... a friend of ours was denied even if she got 1M in her bank since they know its not really hers. although you can always try and explain that hey we filed K1 already and that should mean that we're following all the rules and guidelines to enter legally in the US... etc...

good luck!!!

Appreciate the responses! Seems like we're not treating visitors equally here in the US if we set requirements such that only those with money can visit. We might try the "already filed K1" route and see where it leads. Thanks agan!

Its not about having money in the bank, its about the consulate believing the person has good cause to return. Serious ties there. Like others said with the Philippines it can be difficult.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

she has had a tourist visa almost all her life, she got a tourist visa because of her folks

Never mind, read you other post later... :lol:

Edited by Hank_Amy

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Timeline

I have relatives who recently came over here for a vacation and they look very Filipino and there werent denied tourist visas either. It is about proving that you will not go TNT in the US :yes: They aren't really rich but they do have a house and stable jobs.

Filed: Timeline

Its not about having money in the bank, its about the consulate believing the person has good cause to return. Serious ties there. Like others said with the Philippines it can be difficult.

Money works, as does political connections. If you have a dollar account with a low balance in the mid 5 digits for the last five years, I bet you won't have any problem getting a visa to the US.

• 4 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Face it the whole process is slanted in favor of white couples , who use visa waivers to visit all during the relationship. Those of us with a partner from a non white area have to hope that partner has several times the average income from that country just sitting in the bank for years to be able to visit us. This process doesn't come anywhere close to being equal and without prejudice. It favors older white men bringing younger partners. It favors white couples.

The process is 'slanted,' as you say, in favor of people who are less likely to commit fraud. Since the Department of State does not know you personally, they make a judgement based on the statistical history.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.