honestlyspkng

help! K-3 interview 3 weeks

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The embassy wants a document showing sole custody of our child. When the birth was registered, the mother was alone and made up the name of the father (Ukrainian family law act 135) and used her family name as his last name) She has a document to this effect fron Central Registration. I am not sure this document is enough because the embassy asks for a court order. All the lawyers we asked about this tell us this is not done in Ukraine. This has been going on for months. In addition the wife has a document that shows she recieves a small amount of money evey month as a single mother. Am I worried about nothing?

Sh has made this name for the father because I am told in Ukraine the fathers name cannot be blank, even if it is ficticious.

Thanks much to everyone

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
The embassy wants a document showing sole custody of our child. When the birth was registered, the mother was alone and made up the name of the father (Ukrainian family law act 135) and used her family name as his last name) She has a document to this effect fron Central Registration. I am not sure this document is enough because the embassy asks for a court order. All the lawyers we asked about this tell us this is not done in Ukraine. This has been going on for months. In addition the wife has a document that shows she recieves a small amount of money evey month as a single mother. Am I worried about nothing?

Sh has made this name for the father because I am told in Ukraine the fathers name cannot be blank, even if it is ficticious.

Thanks much to everyone

The embassy needs proof of non custodial parental permission, death certificate of non-custodial parent or some sort of judicial order of custody (ie.. based on parental abandonment for example).... I am not sure what this document is from central registration but ask the consulate if it will be enough.

I am not sure about the father's name issue but it does not matter as there is a name there...

YMMV

There is a document (named in another recent thread - I will look around), that basically says that the childs name was determined by the mother - as the father cannot be located. Vika says this is done all the time, and is the closest thing to a court order that exists. The document is made around the time the child is born.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Vika says the name of the document is "Довидка про те, що батько дитини записаний зи слив матери". She also says that you can get the document at ЗАГС, the office where births, marriages, and deaths are recorded. Go to the office where her baby was registered. If they don't have the document, they will know where to get it.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline
Vika says the name of the document is "Довидка про те, що батько дитини записаний зи слив матери". She also says that you can get the document at ЗАГС, the office where births, marriages, and deaths are recorded. Go to the office where her baby was registered. If they don't have the document, they will know where to get it.

Thanks Brad and Vika. Yes this is the document she has that was obtained at Central Registration, or as everone seems to know it as the "marriage building". Everyone so far seems to be in agreement that this is the document to have and that it will be enough to show there is no father to claim parental rights. Still, you have been through the mill there with documents and I am sure you understand that one document seems to affect another and it all fits together in some way, but the KEV-1 form asks for a court decree, so I am wondering if I should check that box and have them look at this document as the court decree, or if I should leave that blank as well as the other references to parental consent and leave them wondering and searching for a document giving permission. Perhaps the interview will be easier than I envision, but I plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Thanks again, and congratulations to you both.

Thanks Brad and Vika. Yes this is the document she has that was obtained at Central Registration, or as everone seems to know it as the "marriage building". Everyone so far seems to be in agreement that this is the document to have and that it will be enough to show there is no father to claim parental rights. Still, you have been through the mill there with documents and I am sure you understand that one document seems to affect another and it all fits together in some way, but the KEV-1 form asks for a court decree, so I am wondering if I should check that box and have them look at this document as the court decree, or if I should leave that blank as well as the other references to parental consent and leave them wondering and searching for a document giving permission. Perhaps the interview will be easier than I envision, but I plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Thanks again, and congratulations to you both.

Thanks. A word of caution too. If I understood you, you are considering leaving blanks on a form and hoping to make it through the interview without a document showing custody. I would advise against that, and show the form above instead. It seems to me that leaving a required form out is inviting a delay - and in Kiev they tend not to ask too many questions. Consider making another post on this forum and a similar post on the bringing family members to America forum. Use the English name for the form and a brief explanation, just to see if any one else has done it. There are also some long term members here who you could PM, that have spouses from Ukraine that brought kids. Good Luck!

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Exactly Brad. I have been working with another member on this exact thing and Alla is aware of this document as her mother had one for her as a child. I will send the OP a PM ...just to be on the QT in case a VIP ...oh never mind. :)

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife has the same document. Does anyone have confirmation from past interviews at Kiev US Embassy that this document is correct? Also maybe a silly question but my wife is working on her International passport and she is putting my step daughter in the passport. Is this the correct way for the visa's? Will they put both visas in my wife's passport. Our daughter is 3. Any other advice for step children? Thanks in advance for any comments or advice. :D

My wife has the same document. Does anyone have confirmation from past interviews at Kiev US Embassy that this document is correct? Also maybe a silly question but my wife is working on her International passport and she is putting my step daughter in the passport. Is this the correct way for the visa's? Will they put both visas in my wife's passport. Our daughter is 3. Any other advice for step children? Thanks in advance for any comments or advice. :D

Gary and Alla and payxibka (both posted above) have older kids that they separated out of the wife's passport. Consensus seems to be that separate is better if the child will ever travel back to Ukraine separately (like as an unaccompanied minor to visit grandparents).

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Well she is 3 now and can't imagine she will travel without us for at least 10 years or so. So am I correct in saying it is ok she is in moms passport and they will just put daughters visa for the both of them in the one passport. Just want to make sure I do everything correctly. Hate to get to JFK and they say I need separate passport. Thanks again for the response.

Timeline

Tania included our daughter in her passport but afterwards also got Valery her own travel documents. Not sure which one will carry Valery's visa but the embassy has their choice.

Timeline

For a 3 year old it is not so much an issue. Our sons are 14 and 18 and I highly recommend that you get their own passports at whatever age you think they can travel alone or without the mother. Our summer vacation plans were re-arranged by this problem. Alla was going to travel to Ukraine alone on May 16 and Pasha and I were going to travel there June 13. Then all come back together with our older son on July 16. We were told by the Ukraine consulate in New York we could receive a travel document to get him into Ukraine. He would have his green card and mother's passport to get back. Then we found out he cannot do this! After we bought the plane tickets! So we had to change his ticket ($200 lost) and re-arrange his school schedule to take all his final exams early so he can leave with Alla May 16.

Now, when they go over, Alla will get Pasha his own passport (Sergey already has his own) and we will be good to go for the future. We have also discovered that the letter we received for the visa from the boy's father is apparently valid "permanently" as it states it allows for "permanent" relocation to the USA. The letter no longer applies to Sergey as he is over 16 years of age. Until the child is 16 you will need that letter for the mother to leave Ukraine with the child. I would suggest getting her own passport as soon as you feel she may be traveling without her mother (even if it is with you). You CAN apply for and recieve a Ukrainin passport at the Ukrainian consulate for your state (they are in New York, Chicago and San Francisco) but we are told it takes 4-6 months, so it wasn't an option for us. It would have been, but several months ago we were told we could get this travel document and to call when we had exact travel dates. Yeah, right. You can get a paaposrt pretty quick in Ukraine by paying the expidited service fee, depends on how fast you want it, 30 days is not expensive. You can get it in 3 days but it gets pricey. Expect to pay something additional to the "official fee" to assure delivery...you know what I speak of.

She will not need a passport for travel to Canada or Mexico. We live right at the Canadian border and go there often. There is never a problem for Pasha to go there with his green card...with or without his mother. He even goes there "by himself" with school field trips with just the green card.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Well she is 3 now and can't imagine she will travel without us for at least 10 years or so. So am I correct in saying it is ok she is in moms passport and they will just put daughters visa for the both of them in the one passport. Just want to make sure I do everything correctly. Hate to get to JFK and they say I need separate passport. Thanks again for the response.

Sorry, forgot to answer that question. Yes, children under 18 can be in her passport. I am sure your daughter will not travel by herself any time soon, but in our case our son was going to travel with me and could not. So imagine, if 3 years from now, your wife wants to go over ahead of you and you and the daughter join her later, say for reasons of the daughters school classes (exactly our situation) then you will not be able to do that. It isn't so much when you think she may travel ALONE but when you think it might be possible she travel without Mom.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

VJ member DWalker60+Alina has email confirmation that this document is all that is needed for the interview. He copied me on the email he received. It is used in place of the absent parent letter and is acceptable.

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.