15 posts in this topic

What do I do when I get to the border? I am traveling by car, how do I use my AP? Can I use my AP document even though I was just approved for AOS but don't have a card. Please help. Has anyone else traveled?

Kerri

Worried and concerned

AOS

Filed AOS............................October 17/08

NO1 for AOS,EAD, AP............October 31/08

Biometrics letter....................November 7/08

AOS sent to California.............................November 11/2008

Biometrics Appointment in York...............November 28/2008

AP Approved.............................................December 23/2008

EAD Card Received....................................January 3/2009

AP Received (I-512L)..................................January 5/2009

AOS Pending...............................................January 23/2009

AOS Approved, card on order will receive in 3 weeks..............March 10/2009

GREEN CARD RECIEVED MARCH 12/2009

ROC

VERMONT RECEIVED............................................DECEMBER 20/2010

NOA1 1 YEAR EXTENTION APPROVAL..............................DECEMBER 27/2010

RECIEVED BIOMETRICS APP.....................................JANUARY 7/2011

BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT......................................JANUARY 21/2011

APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...................................MAY 9/2011

CARD WITHIN 60 DAYS

Thats a good question. Im anxious to read an answer b/c eventually i will be asking the same thing when my husband gets his AP too.

"Tall, dark and handsome with an amazing smile. He gave me butterflies every time he looked my way. I knew he was the one."- Me

I-129F NOA1 : April 5, 2008

I-129F NOA2 : April 28, 2008

NVC Left : Aug.18, 2008

Packet 3 Received: Sept. 3, 2008

Interview Date : Dec. 18, 2008

APPROVED!!!!

Dec. 19, 2008- Alfredo comes home!

Jan. 5, 2009: Alfredo and I become husband and Wife

March 10, 2009 AOS paperwork sent, will wait for it to arrive via tracking #

March 12, 2009 AOS paperwork arrives in Chicago

March 23, 2009 NOA1 for I-485, I-131, I-765

March 30, 2009-Biometrics letter received, appt date April 10th @11am philly office

April 10, 2009-Biometrics appt. done, in and out in 15 minutes

Nov. 18, 2009-Card production ordered

9q7SPs.jpg

weddingpics082-1.jpg

IgJym4.png

Can I use my AP document even though I was just approved for AOS but don't have a card.

Here is what I was told when I asked that question: No, once your AOS is approved, the AP is no longer valid. You should make an Infopass appointment to get the I-551 stamp in your passport, which will show that you are now a permanent resident. I was also told to have proof of travel plans as well as AOS approval, so if you are driving, I'm not sure what that would be.

Thats a good question. Im anxious to read an answer b/c eventually i will be asking the same thing when my husband gets his AP too.

Here is what happened when we used my husband's AP to fly home from Calgary: It's actually pretty similar to activating your K1 visa, in a way. The customs officer we spoke to first took my husband's passport and both copies of the AP and had us wait in secondary. The customs people in secondary were actually pretty knowledgeable and helpful. THey took the I-94 out of my husband's passport (which had expired anyway) and gave him a new one to fill out. When the guy called us (or him, really) to the window, he put the new I-94 in hubby's passport and stamped both that and one copy of the AP with something showing he was paroled or admitted into the US until December 29, 2009 (ie, one year from the day we used it). Presumably, had we needed to use it again before AOS was approved, he would be able to just show the stamped AP and passport with new I-94 (which answered the big question I had about the AP--which is, what happens if you need to use it more than once since you only have one extra copy?). They kept the other copy of the AP.

The whole process was pretty easy, but we did have to wait in secondary for about half an hour. They do need to do a bit extra to process it, and if you go through a border crossing where they do not see these as often (like when we activated the K1 at Portal, North Dakota!) or if they are just super busy in secondary, you could have to wait longer than that. So I would really suggest leaving a lot of extra time to clear customs if you are changing planes in the US (or driving with expectations of arriving by a specific time).

One other thing they did was look up our status on the computer.

K1

10/02/2007 ~ Sent I-129F to CSC

2/27/2008 ~ NOA2!!! (148 days)

5/27/2008 ~ Interview --- APPROVED!!

5/28/2008 ~ Visa in hand (239 days)

7/17/2008 ~ POE Portal, North Dakota

7/26/2008 ~ Marriage

AOS

8/26/2008 ~ Sent AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago lockbox

9/18/2008 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

9/22/2008 ~ Transferred to CSC

11/05/2008 ~ AP/EAD approved (71 days)

1/20/2009 ~ AOS approved!!! (147 days)

1/29/2009 ~ 2-year GC arrived (156 days)

Removing Conditions

11/18/2010 ~ Sent I-751 to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ I-751 delivered to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ NOA1

12/10/2010 ~ Received biometrics letter

12/21/2010 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

12/29/2010 ~ Touch

1/04/2011 ~ Case status finally available online

2/16/2011 ~ Approved!! (89 days)

2/22/2011 ~ 10-year GC arrived (95 days)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Can I use my AP document even though I was just approved for AOS but don't have a card.

Here is what I was told when I asked that question: No, once your AOS is approved, the AP is no longer valid. You should make an Infopass appointment to get the I-551 stamp in your passport, which will show that you are now a permanent resident. I was also told to have proof of travel plans as well as AOS approval, so if you are driving, I'm not sure what that would be.

Here is what happened when we used my husband's AP to fly home from Calgary: It's actually pretty similar to activating your K1 visa, in a way. The customs officer we spoke to first took my husband's passport and both copies of the AP and had us wait in secondary. The customs people in secondary were actually pretty knowledgeable and helpful. THey took the I-94 out of my husband's passport (which had expired anyway) and gave him a new one to fill out. When the guy called us (or him, really) to the window, he put the new I-94 in hubby's passport and stamped both that and one copy of the AP with something showing he was paroled or admitted into the US until December 29, 2009 (ie, one year from the day we used it). Presumably, had we needed to use it again before AOS was approved, he would be able to just show the stamped AP and passport with new I-94 (which answered the big question I had about the AP--which is, what happens if you need to use it more than once since you only have one extra copy?). They kept the other copy of the AP.

The whole process was pretty easy, but we did have to wait in secondary for about half an hour. They do need to do a bit extra to process it, and if you go through a border crossing where they do not see these as often (like when we activated the K1 at Portal, North Dakota!) or if they are just super busy in secondary, you could have to wait longer than that. So I would really suggest leaving a lot of extra time to clear customs if you are changing planes in the US (or driving with expectations of arriving by a specific time).

Thanks for explaining that! I was also wondering what will happen, I hope to have my AP soon. Glad to know you can use it more than once, in case my AOS takes long to be approved. What do you mean by they looked up your status on the computer? Like to make sure AOS wasn't already approved or something?

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

What do you mean by they looked up your status on the computer? Like to make sure AOS wasn't already approved or something?

I'm not really sure. I overheard him telling the guy in front of us that he had an RFE and just asking did he know what he needed to do (or something along those lines). He asked us if we were waiting for an interview, and I said we'd been transferred to CSC and were still waiting, which he said was typical. It could be that he entered something on there showing that my husband was now on an I-94 valid to December 2009 instead of October 2008, like the original one said.

As far as using it more than once, just to be clear: you can apply for a single-use or a multiple-use AP. I have no idea how the single use one works or what it looks like. I mention this because I remember seeing a post on here from someone who checked the multiple use box on his I-131 but got the single use one anyway.

What I did not know before using it was HOW you can use it more than once because I knew that they kept one copy and returned the other to you but did not know they treated it more or less like you are "activating" it. The information was probably somewhere on VJ all along, but I was not able to find it.

K1

10/02/2007 ~ Sent I-129F to CSC

2/27/2008 ~ NOA2!!! (148 days)

5/27/2008 ~ Interview --- APPROVED!!

5/28/2008 ~ Visa in hand (239 days)

7/17/2008 ~ POE Portal, North Dakota

7/26/2008 ~ Marriage

AOS

8/26/2008 ~ Sent AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago lockbox

9/18/2008 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

9/22/2008 ~ Transferred to CSC

11/05/2008 ~ AP/EAD approved (71 days)

1/20/2009 ~ AOS approved!!! (147 days)

1/29/2009 ~ 2-year GC arrived (156 days)

Removing Conditions

11/18/2010 ~ Sent I-751 to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ I-751 delivered to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ NOA1

12/10/2010 ~ Received biometrics letter

12/21/2010 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

12/29/2010 ~ Touch

1/04/2011 ~ Case status finally available online

2/16/2011 ~ Approved!! (89 days)

2/22/2011 ~ 10-year GC arrived (95 days)

Timeline
What do you mean by they looked up your status on the computer? Like to make sure AOS wasn't already approved or something?

I'm not really sure. I overheard him telling the guy in front of us that he had an RFE and just asking did he know what he needed to do (or something along those lines). He asked us if we were waiting for an interview, and I said we'd been transferred to CSC and were still waiting, which he said was typical. It could be that he entered something on there showing that my husband was now on an I-94 valid to December 2009 instead of October 2008, like the original one said.

As far as using it more than once, just to be clear: you can apply for a single-use or a multiple-use AP. I have no idea how the single use one works or what it looks like. I mention this because I remember seeing a post on here from someone who checked the multiple use box on his I-131 but got the single use one anyway.

What I did not know before using it was HOW you can use it more than once because I knew that they kept one copy and returned the other to you but did not know they treated it more or less like you are "activating" it. The information was probably somewhere on VJ all along, but I was not able to find it.

Gotcha!! I applied for multiple use too, so hope to get it soon! :thumbs:

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

I called the consulate and they told me I would not be able to get an I-551 stamp because this is not a renewal. Also I just received my AOS card and it says if you are traveling for a long period of time that AP will work. Now I am only going for 5 days but my AP will be good enough, as the lady at the consulate told me.

AOS

ROC

CARD WITHIN 60 DAYS

Ok this is what I found:

The uscis site says this:

Lawful permanent residents (LPRs), refugees, and asylees (of the United States) will continue to be able to use their Alien Registration Card (Form I-551), issued by DHS, or the Travel Document issued to those with refugee or asylee status to apply for entry to the United States.

AOS

ROC

CARD WITHIN 60 DAYS

Timeline

I'm not sure if this will help, but I'll tell you my experience with AP.

I received AP in December and then travelled to Toronto via Pearson airport. When travelling back to the U.S. the first time, I presented both copies of my AP. They sent me to secondary where I waited for about half an hour for them to process my AP. It was no problem, just took awhile. (Well, there was one problem, I didn't know that I needed to fill out a new I-94. Once the beeeatch at immigration explained that to me I filled it out, they took out the old I-94, and replaced it with a new one.) They kept one copy of my AP and gave me back the other. They stamped both my AP and my passport as "parolled" by Homeland Security.

I subsequently travelled to Toronto once per week by air for the next month, using my AP. (btw, when i applied for my AP I was very vague and said I needed it to travel to Canada while waiting for AOS approval. I didn't mention any specific reason or date. I think if you mention a specific reason and date, that's what they approve your AP for. Better to be general and vague!).

On each subsequent visit, they sent me to secondary where they processed my AP. It typically took about 15 minutes where they looked me up on the computer and did whatever it is that they do. They then stamped my AP document and my passport. My AP document was getting very full as was my passport. It eventually felt very routine. They never gave me a hard time.

When I went to my AOS interview and was approved, he stamped my passport with the 551 and took my AP and my EAD saying they were no longer valid because I was now a permanent resident of the U.S. I visited Toronto again and showed the 551 stamp and it was no problem entering the U.S. The immigration officer asked when I expected to receive my next stamp and I said I was waiting for my green card in the mail. I did not have to go to secondary with the 551 stamp.

The next time I went through immigration was with my green card. After all the rigamarole (is that a word?) of getting through immigration for the last couple of years, it was sooooo easy. When the immigration officer said, "welcome back", I teared up. Thanks! You have no idea!

A note on the I-94 ... while you're using your AP you need to fill out a new one each time you enter the U.S. and they take the old one out and staple in the new one. It says on the I-94 that you need to surrender your I-94 to a Canadian immigration official when you enter Canada; I tried to do this but they didn't want it! I just kept them in case U.S. immigration asked for them, but they never did.

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

Timeline
I called the consulate and they told me I would not be able to get an I-551 stamp because this is not a renewal. Also I just received my AOS card and it says if you are traveling for a long period of time that AP will work. Now I am only going for 5 days but my AP will be good enough, as the lady at the consulate told me.

Isn't your AOS card your green card? Or am I missing something? After I was approved for AOS, the only card I received was my green card (even though it's not green). Maybe you applied for a different visa than me. ????

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

So what happens if I can't get this I551 Stamp? I do have my advance Parole

AOS

ROC

CARD WITHIN 60 DAYS

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally used my AP for the very first time. I was traveling to Ottawa by car at the boarder crossing at Thousand Island Bridge. I wanted to go in before I crossed so that i could make sure that I would be able to come into the usa again. My AOS was approved but I was still waiting for the card and I was approved with no interview. USA Board there was no sign so I accidently ended up on the Canadian side and had to go back. But it was no issue I had my AP and they answered my questions and I went back to canada to continue on me trip.

When I came back to the USA I handed the guy in the booth my AP and my passport and he just sent me and my husband to go inside. They stamped both copies of my AP and they kept one. Then they removed my I-9 out of my passport and gave me a new one. The process was about 20 minutes.

This is what the immagration guy told me: you need to use your AP until you get your AOS. Now for those that had an interview they will receive a I-551 stamp in there passport for travel. But for people like myself who did not receive an interview and are approved you DO NOT REQUIRE A I-551 stamp. When you receive your green card that is all you need to cross the boarder and of course your passport. Actually they had lots of documentation at the boarder crossing immgation so if you have any questions go there, as it is so hard to get though to home land security.

AOS

ROC

CARD WITHIN 60 DAYS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi! I am planning to go to Canada this coming June, but I'm still waiting for my AP approval and I still have to apply for Canadian visa. Anyway, my question is how long can I stay there as a tourist? I have family there, my sister is getting married this June, I'm wondering if I can stay there for max of 6 months? And is it right once I receive the greencard I don't need to apply for tourist visa to get there? Thanks.

AOS

03-03-2009 - AOS, EAD, AP sent to Chicago office (USPS)

03-11-2009 - Notice Date

03-25-2009 - Case transferred to CSC

05-05-2009 - GC, EAD card, AP received. :D

Hi! I am planning to go to Canada this coming June, but I'm still waiting for my AP approval and I still have to apply for Canadian visa. Anyway, my question is how long can I stay there as a tourist? I have family there, my sister is getting married this June, I'm wondering if I can stay there for max of 6 months? And is it right once I receive the greencard I don't need to apply for tourist visa to get there? Thanks.

Don't go until you get your AP. As for how long you can go for I am not sure. I think it is NOT recommended to go for a long period of time, best to call to find out. Your applying for a canadain visa?

AOS

ROC

CARD WITHIN 60 DAYS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Don't go until you get your AP. As for how long you can go for I am not sure. I think it is NOT recommended to go for a long period of time, best to call to find out. Your applying for a canadain visa?

I know I still have to wait for the AP, and yes I have to apply for canadian visa, my nationality requires me to get one. Who should I call? USCIS?Canadian embassy? thanks again.

Edited by jamesNrei

AOS

03-03-2009 - AOS, EAD, AP sent to Chicago office (USPS)

03-11-2009 - Notice Date

03-25-2009 - Case transferred to CSC

05-05-2009 - GC, EAD card, AP received. :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.