DeadPoolX

My brother in the military?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I haven't said a whole lot about my brother on here. He and I tend to get along very well. In fact, I'd say we're best friends. So the following is a little concerning for me.

My brother is currently in law school. He's told my dad and me that he wants to be a JAG (judge advocate general) and that has nothing to do with the TV show. I don't think my brother has even seen it as he mostly watches The History Channel and The Military Channel.

After talking to all four branches, he decided that the Marine Corps had the best attitude and was the most interested in him. He apparently impressed the recruiters so much they invited him to lunch. I suppose they liked the fact he wasn't some kid with idealistic notions of becoming a hero or using the military as simply an "opportunity to attend college." My brother also knows a hell of lot about the military, ranging from history to weaponry.

He could join this year, but he's putting that off. He wants to finish law school first and get in more time to exercise. He's said he'll need to be in perfect shape. So next year sometime, he'll be appointed a second lieutenant after undertaking OCS.

The one issue I'm a little concerned about is that the recruiters told him point-blank that he'll get deployed to Afghanistan. My brother said he'd be in the "green zone" (which I assume means he'll be stationed on a base and away from the majority of combat), but you never know. My dad hasn't been told this yet. He doesn't entirely approve of my brother's choice (my dad thinks my brother could do better in a private law firm) and although he's not completely against it, I can't imagine he'll take the idea of deployment very well.

All in all, I'm proud of him and happy to know he's doing something he really wants and enjoys. My brother has said that he really wants to "serve his country" and to him, that's more important than making millions.

That really is a noble way of thinking and I wish your brother the best of luck!! My only advice would be for him to make sure to research everything because those recruiters are paid to get people in and not necessarily to tell the truth completely. I've known or been related to quite a few people that were flat out lied too after enlisting.

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I suppose they liked the fact he wasn't some kid with idealistic notions of becoming a hero or using the military as simply an "opportunity to attend college."

Its great that he wants to join and become an Officer! However, as a member myself currently deployed in the "hot zone" I would just like to say there is nothing wrong with using the military simply as an "opportunity to attend college." People put the uniform on for different reasons, but no matter what the reaon is we all take an oath, and to me anyone who does that is a hero.

Edited by maria teresa

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
My only advice would be for him to make sure to research everything because those recruiters are paid to get people in and not necessarily to tell the truth completely.

There is some truth to that...probably more truth then not. My uncle was in the Marines for 20 yrs...he's since retired but said it was the most rewarding experience ever!! He was deployed to Iraq(1st Persian Gulf war) Your brother can serve his time and then go off to some Law Firm...he may find it much easier to get into a really good one, or even start his own with some Military experience behind him.

Either way, your brother is a hero in my books and I wish him all the best!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

A JAG is a fantastic career and military law is exceptionally interesting and diverse. He has plenty of options should he like to move around the country. Additionally, many JAGs are appointed as judges. Had I went to law school in the US, I would join to be a JAG in an instant.

Glad to hear that you're proud of him. :star:

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree... being a JAG could open more doors to him than going to a private firm out of law school, especially if he's not the top in his class. As a former military officer, I salute his sense of duty to his country and wish him the best.

However, make sure he just goes into the JAG commissioning process. The JAG process is a very demanding process and there is no obligation to join if he is not selected. If he goes into the normal commissioning process with OCS, he may not get to be a JAG and he will be commissioned as a regular officer, meaning he could be sent anywhere doing anything. If he went through the normal JAG process, he would be commissioned as a First Lieutenant, unless he went through the student program (OCS while in law school, commissioned as an inactive reserve second lieuitenant through law school and then promotion to first lieutenant after passing the bar exam and the Naval Justice School.)

He should not under any circumstances be talking to a normal recruiter if he only desires to be a JAG officer. He should only be talking to a JAG recruiter through the law school.

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

What a lovely post! Your brother sounds like he knows what he wants, and I commend him in his decision. You must be proud...well, I know you are. We are as well! (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

congrats to your brother salutingtheflag.gif

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband has never regretted his experiences in the Navy nor the opportunities it afforded him in education. He'd be the first person to say it was one of the smartest things he's done (besides marry me of course). Your brother sounds like a man of integrity and direction. I'd be super proud too! :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

I'm a Navy veteran and I have to agree with the others here. It was the best experience of my life and I would do it again! Recruiters can be a little shifty, so make sure he takes what they tell him with a grain of salt. He should research everything they tell him. As stated by someone else here, he should also be sure he is going in as an officer and into the field he wants. He should be talking to commissioned officer recruiters and not enlisted recruiters.

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2008-08-29 in Canada

I-130 Sent : 2008-10-14

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-20

I-130F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

I-129F Sent : 2008-11-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

NVC Received : 2009-05-12

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-19

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-06-10

Interview: 2009-09-10 APPROVED

See my interview experience here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=217544&hl=

Visa Received : 2009-09-16

US Entry : 2009-09-27

EAD received: 2009-12-21

AOS interview: 2010-02-05 (medical exam missing from documents)

Recieved RFE for missing medical exam that they lost. Submitted new exam March 10, 2010.

Notified that he is in background checks after submitting three service requests: July, 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.