Time2gopeacefully

MENA FASHION!

14 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

http://www.thehijabshop.com/

they also have a mens clothing site, a baby site, a nasheed site, and so much more!

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Can some of you MENA sisters out there give us some LINK to different websites that have nice MENA clothing.

Also help us with size conversion table please :thumbs:

What do you mean by "MENA clothing"? Most of the people, women and men, that I've seen in Cairo dress just like we do here in america, albeit a bit more conservative (no Daisy Duke shorts, etc.). You really don't need to go to a specific MENA store to dress like they do in MENA. If you're looking for an Islamic clothing store even you can always find what you need if you just look around for more conservative clothes. Hijabs are super easy since a lot of stores sell long scarves and in nice beautiful designs and colors too.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Timeline
Can some of you MENA sisters out there give us some LINK to different websites that have nice MENA clothing.

What do you mean by "MENA clothing"? Most of the people, women and men, that I've seen in Cairo dress just like we do here in america, albeit a bit more conservative (no Daisy Duke shorts, etc.). You really don't need to go to a specific MENA store to dress like they do in MENA. If you're looking for an Islamic clothing store even you can always find what you need if you just look around for more conservative clothes. Hijabs are super easy since a lot of stores sell long scarves and in nice beautiful designs and colors too.

I noticed the the type of materials and garments used in the US is not that good. The workmanship is not good either! For example Morocco and

India use a better type of materials. I am just judging from what i have seen during my travel (13 countries)!

Edited by Hey-wassapenin?

Timeline

I noticed the the type of materials and garments used in the US is not that good. The workmanship is not good either! For example Morocco and

India use a better type of materials. I am just judging from what i have seen during my travel (13 countries)!

Oh ok. I thought you were trying to dress like them! I know that the clothes that I've bought (very few since it's sooo expensive) from Shukr do last a long time and are made of very good quality.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Other Timeline

Not specifically for MENA, but I have had a lot of luck buying salwar kameez on ebay, I have a couple of sellers I like and they have the suits tailored to your specs in India so you can have the sleeves as long as you like, etc.

Salwar kameez was originally Muslim dress, introduced into India during the Mughal period.

I wear them every day and get lots of compliments!!

thkirby-1.gifpetblink46.gif
BuddhaEyesGlobe.gif1433707c1j51myzp6.gif

Timeline
Not specifically for MENA, but I have had a lot of luck buying salwar kameez on ebay, I have a couple of sellers I like and they have the suits tailored to your specs in India so you can have the sleeves as long as you like, etc.

Salwar kameez was originally Muslim dress, introduced into India during the Mughal period.

I love these but do not have any! I was always afraid to buy online due to maybe it not fitting right and having to go through the hassle of sending them back. What I like is that they have the scarf with them and you can just throw it over your head when you pray. Beautiful colors and fabrics also.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Did someone ask about clothes :whistle:

The Modest Clothes Directory has subcategories for different regions, although most of what is considered more traditionally "MENA" (ie abayas, jelbab, thobes, kaftans) are listed under the "islamic clothing" section.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

Oh man, I *heart* shalwar kameez, but I've been been able to pull it off. I always feel like a gori poser when I wear a suit. One of these days I'll beat that inner naysayer down, cuz they're sooo pretty and I'd love to be able to wear them.

http://www.modestclothes.com/islamic/islam...ing-stores.html

I've been drooling over clothes from eshakti for years. Have you ever ordered from them? It looks like they don't have much in the way of shalwar kameez anymore, but they do have other pretty looking tunics and kaftans.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

shalwar kameez

When I was India I had a few of these made special just for me, and had even wore saris too.

I just loved it! However at that time I had very small upper torso for it.

I feel that those little belly tops are very hard to fit into unless they are specially made. I believe the scarf that goes with it is called a Dupitta....my spelling maybe wrong :blush:

I wouldnt really feel comfortable wearing a sari now if I had to let my jelly roll hang out. :P

I did have some really nice events I went to where I wore those darling clothes and I felt so pretty wearing them.

Edited by sandrila

I did have some really nice events I went to where I wore those darling clothes and I felt so pretty wearing them.

Pretty is the word, eh?

I have an armoire stocked with clothes, so much that I think I'll be paying over-weight charges when I go back to America. I can't imagine leaving anything here.

ETA: It really drives me nuts to look at the prices of this stuff online. Abayas are expensive online but here I can buy a nice one - and I mean NICE style, NICE fabric, NICE everything - for no more than 90 LE (less than 20 US dollars).

Edited by Ihavequestions

Timeline
ETA: It really drives me nuts to look at the prices of this stuff online. Abayas are expensive online but here I can buy a nice one - and I mean NICE style, NICE fabric, NICE everything - for no more than 90 LE (less than 20 US dollars).

Oh, tell me about it. The husband is planning on going to Egypt later this year, and I've already been compiling pictures of abayas I like for him to get made for me when he's there.

irhal.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.