July09Bride

The Vent - Part 2

5,031 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I think I have vented about this before... but I am living in the USA now right? My name is a state: Nevada.

Yet I have never encountered so many people who look at me weird and ask me how to spell it. I always ask them if they have a map and they go: "Ohh like the state!"

I just want to look at them and say: "No like the planet."

Dum dee dum.

Well, it's not your run of the mill name. This is the U.S., and you never know how people are going to spell their names. I had a university course with a guy whose name was pronounced the same as mine..... however, his parents butchered the spelling. Rhobhert is NOT the same as Robert. kkthxbai

Nice try, but i'm not buying this explanation :lol: (plus I hear you don't even know how to use a fax machine)

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I think I have vented about this before... but I am living in the USA now right? My name is a state: Nevada.

Yet I have never encountered so many people who look at me weird and ask me how to spell it. I always ask them if they have a map and they go: "Ohh like the state!"

Dum dee dum.

Well, it's not your run of the mill name. This is the U.S., and you never know how people are going to spell their names. I had a university course with a guy whose name was pronounced the same as mine..... however, his parents butchered the spelling. Rhobhert is NOT the same as Robert. kkthxbai

Well I just find it funny that in Canada people got it... but down here most people don't.

People also don't pronounce it right half of the time either, something else I find to quite funny.

Oh well thats the cost of having an awesome name I guess. :P

lol i think they say it wrong because people say it two different ways, its like the whole tomato/tomAto debate. same with Nevada lol

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
lol i think they say it wrong because people say it two different ways, its like the whole tomato/tomAto debate. same with Nevada lol

I have only ever heard it pronounced .... normally, what is the other way?

(like it is here) http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Nevada

Oh hang on...you mean Na-vahhh-da

Still not buying it!

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

I have only ever heard it pronounced .... normally, what is the other way?

(like it is here) http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Nevada

Oh hang on...you mean Na-vahhh-da

Still not buying it!

Exactly.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

LoL, I probably pronounce it wrong :blush:

I aparently clicked on the wrong link and didn't even notice for a good 10 minutes. I clicked on China instead of Canada and saw a bunch of unread threads. So I read a few and then I finally realized that I was in the wrong forum. :rofl:

Timeline

No one read this okay? Just...skip over it :lol:

What the heck is with some people in here lately???

Ok thats all

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline
No one read this okay? Just...skip over it :lol:

What the heck is with some people in here lately???

Ok thats all

lol. i have to say, even though it sucks for you, the wedding saga is a good read and seriously crazy.

Timeline

I'm glad you enjoy it! haha Nevada and Jill really encouraged me to make a story out of it after i was telling them all about it in person.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Timeline

I saw this episode of 20/20 last night, which was about this missing girl in AZ, presumably killed... anyway they were talking about how common it is to have sex offenders in your neighborhood, and you have no idea. Now it must be public, so I went to the website to put in our zipcode just to check. The amount of offenders disgusted me, I actually feel sick after looking at the map. You can click on the thing and it gives the offenders picture, name and address and what they were convicted of. Just looking at all of these people leaving very closeby, I probably pass them in the grocery store, etc. It just sickens me to know these predators are roaming around here, and everywhere. I was very surprised to see how many are just really close to home. I don't even have kids yet, and it scares me to death!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline
I saw this episode of 20/20 last night, which was about this missing girl in AZ, presumably killed... anyway they were talking about how common it is to have sex offenders in your neighborhood, and you have no idea. Now it must be public, so I went to the website to put in our zipcode just to check. The amount of offenders disgusted me, I actually feel sick after looking at the map. You can click on the thing and it gives the offenders picture, name and address and what they were convicted of. Just looking at all of these people leaving very closeby, I probably pass them in the grocery store, etc. It just sickens me to know these predators are roaming around here, and everywhere. I was very surprised to see how many are just really close to home. I don't even have kids yet, and it scares me to death!

You probably have worked with some and you didn't even know it.

There are so many sex offenders... its crazy. People think I am insecure for not allowing anyone to babysit my son, but it could literally be anyone who is doing that stuff. I even get worried about him going to school, you hear about teachers sleeping with their students. It is a scary world we live in.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Dum dee dum.

Well I just find it funny that in Canada people got it... but down here most people don't.

People also don't pronounce it right half of the time either, something else I find to quite funny.

So, do you pronounce it like we do from the southwestern part of the US?? Where the A is "aaaaah" not "ahhhhh"?? Or, are you an "ahhhhh" kinda girl??? :P

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline

You probably have worked with some and you didn't even know it.

There are so many sex offenders... its crazy. People think I am insecure for not allowing anyone to babysit my son, but it could literally be anyone who is doing that stuff. I even get worried about him going to school, you hear about teachers sleeping with their students. It is a scary world we live in.

Yeah and it's not just sex offenders against children, the yellow box on the map means the person was convicted of rape and a red box means an offence against a child. So there are also known rapists roaming around here, it's so freaky.

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

Dum dee dum.

So, do you pronounce it like we do from the southwestern part of the US?? Where the A is "aaaaah" not "ahhhhh"?? Or, are you an "ahhhhh" kinda girl??? :P

Ahh.

Not nev-aw-da

I have heard it Na-vay-da as well.

Its funny because there were people in Canada who would say Nev-aw-da and I would always correct them. :lol:

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

Dum dee dum.

Ahh.

Not nev-aw-da

I have heard it Na-vay-da as well.

Its funny because there were people in Canada who would say Nev-aw-da and I would always correct them. :lol:

SOOOO glad to know you've got the "right" pronunciation! :)

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

:thumbs: even more sickening is some of the discussions in ot where people take up for convicted sex offenders.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.