Alonestill

Working for the last year without a green card

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm helping a couple file an I-485 and learned that his wife has been working as a caregiver for the past year, at this point the we know its wrong.

we will send the package off in a few weeks being as honest in the papers as possible, what can we expect to happen as the process completes and the interview date comes ??? can anyone help ???

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

was she working as a caregiver under the table? was she just taking cash? Did she pay taxes? or Did she say she was a usc to get a job? Lots of possibilities depending on the scenario and there are not enough details to answer the question....

AOS

2009-01-12===> Sent AOS packet via UPS
2009-01-13===> AOS packet received
2009-01-28===> NOA's received in the mail
2009-02-01===> Biometric appt received in the mail
2009-02-06===> Completed biometric appt thru walk-in
2009-02-06===> Applied for expedited AP thru the phone
2009-02-14===> Received AP in the mail
2009-02-11===> Case transferred to CSC
2009-02-23===> EAD received
2009-05-02===> Green card received in the mail, no interview done.

Timeline
was she working as a caregiver under the table? was she just taking cash? Did she pay taxes? or Did she say she was a usc to get a job? Lots of possibilities depending on the scenario and there are not enough details to answer the question....

she was working as normal, with taxes ... not knowing she was doing anything wrong.

the company needed caregivers and didn't ask her for anything more than a SS card.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

she was working as normal, with taxes ... not knowing she was doing anything wrong.

the company needed caregivers and didn't ask her for anything more than a SS card.

'not knowing she was doing anything wrong...' Out of curiosity, how long ago was this? I know back in the 80s employers didn't ask for much but then they would ask for a work permit....

Anyway, if you do a search on the forums with 'working without ead' or working illegally or any other term, you'll find that people say that normally they forgive you at the AOS interview, since the person is married to a USC.

For example, look at this thread:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;#entry690907

There are other threads out there with similar questions about people working 'illegally' (expired ead or no permit at all), and most say it was not an issue; on the positive side, she did pay her taxes so at least she did that right.

AOS

2009-01-12===> Sent AOS packet via UPS
2009-01-13===> AOS packet received
2009-01-28===> NOA's received in the mail
2009-02-01===> Biometric appt received in the mail
2009-02-06===> Completed biometric appt thru walk-in
2009-02-06===> Applied for expedited AP thru the phone
2009-02-14===> Received AP in the mail
2009-02-11===> Case transferred to CSC
2009-02-23===> EAD received
2009-05-02===> Green card received in the mail, no interview done.

Filed: Timeline

I take it her spouse is an alien?

I'm helping a couple file an I-485 and learned that his wife has been working as a caregiver for the past year, at this point the we know its wrong.

we will send the package off in a few weeks being as honest in the papers as possible, what can we expect to happen as the process completes and the interview date comes ??? can anyone help ???

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Timeline

'not knowing she was doing anything wrong...' Out of curiosity, how long ago was this? I know back in the 80s employers didn't ask for much but then they would ask for a work permit....

Anyway, if you do a search on the forums with 'working without ead' or working illegally or any other term, you'll find that people say that normally they forgive you at the AOS interview, since the person is married to a USC.

For example, look at this thread:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;#entry690907

There are other threads out there with similar questions about people working 'illegally' (expired ead or no permit at all), and most say it was not an issue; on the positive side, she did pay her taxes so at least she did that right.

Timeline

it was just last year, 2007 till 2008

Thank you so much for your help, his wife has been worried sick about this.

the people here have been great helping out people in need, this is the best place to get help out here for anyone working through these process.

Thanks again for your help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I think its nothing serious. Especially because she paid taxes etc. and you are being truthful in the filings. This is not a 'crime' and she should be OK. I too worked on my student visa and when asked by the agent (who visited my apt) I told him yes I was working and paying taxes etc. - it never caused a problem. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.