JayT80

Petitioner applies for Foodstamps, medicaid... is it ok?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My petitioner is disabled(because of her sickness) and elderly, she is 60+ and a Lawful permanent resident (LPR). The co-sponsor is my brother - a us citizen. Currently my petition (F2B) is under process. If my petitioner applies for a foodstamp and medicaid, Will it affect my petition? Will it affect my petitioner?

Thanks! :)

Edited by jhun

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline
My petitioner is disabled(because of her sickness) and elderly, she is 60+ and a Lawful permanent resident (LPR). The co-sponsor is my brother - a us citizen. Currently my petition (F2B) is under process. If my petitioner applies for a foodstamp and medicaid, Will it affect my petition? Will it affect my petitioner?

So long as your cosponsor has adequate income, your petition won't be affected.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

The DHHS sets the poverty guidelines that also are part of whether someone qualifies for federal assistance. My gut response, is if anyone qualifies for a federal program, they are at or below the poverty line and therefore wouldn't be a good candidate as a petitioner. If the petitioner themselve is already a public charge, then it goes without saying they can't afford to sponsor a beneficiary. The whole purpose behind completing an affidavit of support is to prove not only do you have income above 125 % but that the beneficiary doesn't become a public charge.

So long as your cosponsor has adequate income, your petition won't be affected.

NONEOFYOURBUSINESS

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
The DHHS sets the poverty guidelines that also are part of whether someone qualifies for federal assistance. My gut response, is if anyone qualifies for a federal program, they are at or below the poverty line and therefore wouldn't be a good candidate as a petitioner. If the petitioner themselve is already a public charge, then it goes without saying they can't afford to sponsor a beneficiary. The whole purpose behind completing an affidavit of support is to prove not only do you have income above 125 % but that the beneficiary doesn't become a public charge.

but there is a co-sponsor, will that suffice?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

I am not versed on co-sponsorship. I am unsure if they must meet all income requirements as if being the original petitioner, or whether the co-sponsor comes in to compensate the remaining missing amount for the total income. In simple words; if you needed $25,000 to qualify but only had $20,000, does the co-sponsor only need to qualify you up to $5,000.00 to compensate your total income or does co-sponsor have to show $25,000.00 and above? Let's see what others say. Sorry. Good Luck.

picks up the slack for the indifference of lacking the remaining threshold to amount to the total qualifying salary or if their salary

but there is a co-sponsor, will that suffice?

Edited by Lisa Momeny

NONEOFYOURBUSINESS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.