rodney22

Internet Dating

60 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

James and I met in Sept. 1999 at a Lord of the Rings movie site. We met F2F in Feb. 2000.

The site is still up and running, after a short death it was resurected by my necromancer James ;)

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok right, I'm going to ask summat that I hope doesn't get taken the wrong way (I'm sure it will by someone tho, lol)

Now obviously we are all in the same boat with the LDRs, but I HAVE to ask...to those who intentionally sought after someone from another country......WHYYY??? Seriously, why would you intentionally go thru living thru a phone/computer/etc. I'm not saying those who met while chatting about music or books or whatever...but those who looked intentionally for love in a foreign land. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would choose to experience the lonliness and the pain of having your life 'on hold' so to speak. I am not trying to come across as condescending or judgemental, but I honestly don't understand it.

No it's not FOR me to have to understand it either, but I'm curious. Would someone care to share? thanks!

I don't know because I didn't intentionally look for a Brit to fall in love with. Hey, did you get my PM? I apologized for my rude husband haha. Thanks again for answering the two messages. :D:lol:

AOS

09/04/05- Married

11/01/05- I-130, I-485 and I-765 applications mailed to Chicago lockbox

11/22/05- NOA

12/06/05- RFE on I-864 for medical and petitioners Birth Certificate

02/23/06- Biometrics taken for AOS and EAD

03/17/06- EAD approved

03/20/06- EAD received in mail

03/22/06- Applied for Social Security Number

03/27/06- Received Social Security Card

03/27/06- Received interview date for AOS

04/06/06- Started first job in America

04/29/06- Passed the test at the DMV, now have a state permit to drive

05/03/06- Initial Interview for AOS

05/03/06- AOS approved! I-551 stamped in passport!!

05/12/06- Welcome To America letter

05/15/06- Green Card arrived in mail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lifting Conditions I-751

09/04/07 - Married 2 years

04/30/08 - Sent package

05/03/08 - Green Card expired

05/02/08 - USCIS Received package

05/05/08 - Check cashed

05/08/08 - Received Extension letter

05/17/08 - Received Biometrics appointment letter for May 31, 2008

05/24/08 - Received 2nd letter for Biometrics appointment for June 4, 2008

05/31/08 - Went to biometrics appointment on May 31, 2008, said Paul did not have to go on June 4th, computer glitch.

06/04/08 - Case was "touched"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
We're on different waves here....

My original question was posed to those who intentionally sought love on the internet. Not ppl who met on the internet as friends thru message boards or gaming sites or anything like that. I'm saying those who went on international dating sites.....what was the draw? Was it something that drew you that was exciting, exotic, etc....was it you wanted to marry someone from the place of your ancestry? That's what I'm asking

Of course this process is totally worth it, and the couples are usually stronger in the end....but *in my case* I would have never thought 'hey lemme find a Brit, that'd be cool' because I wouldn't wish this separation on my worst enemy. Of course I gladly go thru it for HIM, but if I were single, and looking to find love online, I'd look for the path of least resistance...I wouldn't say USCIS? bring it on!!!

ahh.. more clarification then. ok, here in this thread I don't know if ppl will satisfactorily answer your question, maybe you should start own thread then for ppl that purposefully went to a marriage broker web site. maybe there they will see and answer. just a suggestion, here the title of thread i do not believe will draw the ppl that you are specifically looking for answers from.

James & Sara - Aug 12, 05

Humanity... destined to pass the baton shortly.

We're on different waves here....

My original question was posed to those who intentionally sought love on the internet. Not ppl who met on the internet as friends thru message boards or gaming sites or anything like that. I'm saying those who went on international dating sites.....what was the draw? Was it something that drew you that was exciting, exotic, etc....was it you wanted to marry someone from the place of your ancestry? That's what I'm asking

Of course this process is totally worth it, and the couples are usually stronger in the end....but *in my case* I would have never thought 'hey lemme find a Brit, that'd be cool' because I wouldn't wish this separation on my worst enemy. Of course I gladly go thru it for HIM, but if I were single, and looking to find love online, I'd look for the path of least resistance...I wouldn't say USCIS? bring it on!!!

ahh.. more clarification then. ok, here in this thread I don't know if ppl will satisfactorily answer your question, maybe you should start own thread then for ppl that purposefully went to a marriage broker web site. maybe there they will see and answer. just a suggestion, here the title of thread i do not believe will draw the ppl that you are specifically looking for answers from.

:lol:

AOS

09/04/05- Married

11/01/05- I-130, I-485 and I-765 applications mailed to Chicago lockbox

11/22/05- NOA

12/06/05- RFE on I-864 for medical and petitioners Birth Certificate

02/23/06- Biometrics taken for AOS and EAD

03/17/06- EAD approved

03/20/06- EAD received in mail

03/22/06- Applied for Social Security Number

03/27/06- Received Social Security Card

03/27/06- Received interview date for AOS

04/06/06- Started first job in America

04/29/06- Passed the test at the DMV, now have a state permit to drive

05/03/06- Initial Interview for AOS

05/03/06- AOS approved! I-551 stamped in passport!!

05/12/06- Welcome To America letter

05/15/06- Green Card arrived in mail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lifting Conditions I-751

09/04/07 - Married 2 years

04/30/08 - Sent package

05/03/08 - Green Card expired

05/02/08 - USCIS Received package

05/05/08 - Check cashed

05/08/08 - Received Extension letter

05/17/08 - Received Biometrics appointment letter for May 31, 2008

05/24/08 - Received 2nd letter for Biometrics appointment for June 4, 2008

05/31/08 - Went to biometrics appointment on May 31, 2008, said Paul did not have to go on June 4th, computer glitch.

06/04/08 - Case was "touched"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
me and yacine met on the phone :)

Me and Chutima met in person! ;)

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Does it make any difference if we met on the phone or in person when it comes to IMBRA? I'm just curious for myself, having met my fiance while studying in Wales.

May 2, 2006- Sent I-129F to Nebraska

May 5, 2006-NOA1

June 1, 2006-Transferred to CSC

June 14, 2006-Received letter confirming transfer

June 15, 2006-Touch!

June 16, 2006-Touch!

June 17, 2006-Touch!

June 30, 2006-Received RFE!

June 30, 2006-mailed RFE to CSC (overnight)

July 3, 2006-Touch!

July 4, 2006-Touch!

July 5, 2006-CSC received RFE

July 6, 2006-Received email confirming CSC received RFE

July 27, 2006-Touch!

July 31, 2006-Approval!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (SOOOOOOOO EXCITED)

August 1, 2006- Email stating we had been approved!

August 1, 2006- worried about what comes next!

August 7, 2006-package sent to NVC

August 8-17-package was received by NVC, processed, and sent to London Embassy

August 17, 2006-Rich received packet 3 from the Embassy in London

August 22, 2006-Rich mails packet 3 back to London Embassy

August 31, 2006-Rich has his medical

September 21, 2006- I received an email from the Consulate with the Interview date

September 23, 2006- Rich received Packet 4

October 18, 2006- Interview! Approved!!!!!!!!!!!

October 20, 2006- Recieved visa in the mail

May 04, 2007-Sent AOS and EAD packets

May 09, 2007-NOA1

June 01, 2007-Biometrics appt.

June 12, 2007-AOS transferred to California

July 16, 2007-Touch (AOS)

July 17, 2007-Tourch (AOS)

July 18, 2007-EAD approved!!!!!!!!

July 27, 2007-EAD arrives in mail

September 05, 2007-Green card arrives in mail

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Quote Ok right, I'm going to ask summat that I hope doesn't get taken the wrong way (I'm sure it will by someone tho, lol)

Now obviously we are all in the same boat with the LDRs, but I HAVE to ask...to those who intentionally sought after someone from another country......WHYYY??? Seriously, why would you intentionally go thru living thru a phone/computer/etc. I'm not saying those who met while chatting about music or books or whatever...but those who looked intentionally for love in a foreign land. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would choose to experience the lonliness and the pain of having your life 'on hold' so to speak. I am not trying to come across as condescending or judgemental, but I honestly don't understand it.

No it's not FOR me to have to understand it either, but I'm curious. Would someone care to share? thanks!

End quote

Reasonable question. In my case, I was 38 years old and looking for a soulmate. I decided that he could live ANYWHERE therby opening up my possibilities of actually finding one! Of course I'd not investigated visajourney at that point so had no idea what we ended up letting ourselves in for.

But we found each other and that makes all this stress worthwhile

Alison (F)

April A friend told me that she thought my ideal man lived in Wyoming or Montana.

May 17 Did search on match.com. Found no-one in Wyoming. Only wrote to one person in Montana...his name was John. He replied two hours later.

Jun 26 Flew to Missoula to meet him & a weekend trip turned into a five week visit...

Many trips between US, Canada & Europe.

March 31 During a meeting in Vancouver, John proposed & I said YES!!!

Jun 2 Finally sent off our I-129F & a few days later we received NOA1. I am now officially an alien bride-to-be.

Aug 22 Email notification of NOA2.

Sep 12 Received letter to say application would be forwarded to US Embassy.

Nov 23 Returned packet 3 to Embassy

Nov 30 Medical

Jan 5 Got interview date

Feb 1 Interview. APPROVED!

Feb 2 Visa delivered.

Feb 7 Flight to Seattle.

Feb 8 Finally back home in Missoula, MT. I'm happy, John's happy & the cats are ecstatic - together again!

Apr 22 Wedding Day!

May 6 Sent AOS application

May 7 Honeymoon

May 23 NOA date for AOS, EAD & AP

Jun 12 Biometrics

Jun 15 RFE for AOS mailed

Jun 20 RFE received

Aug 16 RFE reply sent

Aug 31 AP approved!

Sep 5 EAD approved

Sep 8 AP received

Nov 13 Interview letter

Dec 14 Interview. Success!

Dec 26 Got green card!

Oct 08 I-751 to remove conditions sent to CSC

Oct 14 NOA

Nov 21 Biometrics

Jan 7 Approval notice

Jan 12 Received greencard

Filed: Timeline
Quote Ok right, I'm going to ask summat that I hope doesn't get taken the wrong way (I'm sure it will by someone tho, lol)

End quote

Reasonable question. In my case, I was 38 years old and looking for a soulmate. I decided that he could live ANYWHERE therby opening up my possibilities of actually finding one! Of course I'd not investigated visajourney at that point so had no idea what we ended up letting ourselves in for.

But we found each other and that makes all this stress worthwhile

Alison (F)

Thanks for the reply Alison....funnily enough, it was after I posted after you in the 'person above me' thread that brought this up in my head again. I'm quite curious (and if I'm too nosey just tell me to stfu, lol) as to why you targeted Montana and Wyoming. What was it about those places that made you think that you'd find your soulmate only there? Obviously you were right, hah, but what are the characteristics of ppl there that attracted you? Or was it on a lark that you decided to look?

Again, I hope I'm not being too nosey, but as it's in your siggy, I'm hoping it's not too personal. Feel free to disregard of course it is is. :)

And as for me, while we met in person & whatnot, I didn't have a clue to all this either when we decided to marry. I thought it was a simple case of 'come here for a visit and marry and stay' :lol::blush: oh how wrong i was, :lol:

Melanie...I think I got your pm but I accidentally deleted it, but no worries, thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

me and yacine met on the phone :)

Me and Chutima met in person! ;)

Me and Bram met in person!! :lol:

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline
And as for me, while we met in person & whatnot, I didn't have a clue to all this either when we decided to marry. I thought it was a simple case of 'come here for a visit and marry and stay' :lol::blush: oh how wrong i was, :lol:

Me too. After realizing we were falling in love and how to figure out our future together, we had NO idea what process we'd have to go through. I also thought Sujeet would actually be able to just visit the US...the reality check happened when his tourist visa was denied (march2003). We weren't expecting that. I was already planning what cool things he could see in the US at that time. Yes, now looking back I know how naive it was to think he could just come visit here.

So it was after that, we found out how hard it would be for us to be together and have to go through the K1 process. We were shocked. :wacko: The original plan was for him to come to the US to visit for a month or more, then we'd get engaged, then he'd go back to India, and come back a little while later and we'd just get married. :no: Talk about la-la land!! :lol: I had to go to India since he wasn't allowed to visit here(not easy for an Indian to be granted a tourist visa). He could only come on the K-1 visa(or other marriage based visas) if he was ever to come here. :(

Even more startling to me was the whole K1 visa process. I sent in the petition about a month before finding VJ and did not know anyone else going through the process. I had a rude awakening when I realized the petition would take months to get approved, not just "a month or so". During those days, the petitions were averaging 6 MONTHS to get approved at the SVC centers. But after sending in my petition, the time started dropping and it only took us 2 1/2 months for approval. Still, before finding out about so many others going through the process, I thought still it was going to be much easier than it was.

But thank the Lord we got through it all! :D

Edited by stina&suj

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Timeline

Good Question! As 'we' all might be skeptics, i am here to say that it can happen and it did for me too.

I met my sweets as a pen pal 15 months ago. I had just broken up with a girl that I had been dating close to home. It was a hard break up (for me anyway) and I was not looking for anothe relationship at the time. I like to travel so I was just looking to possibly meet a new friend and pen pal in another country where I might one day visit. By chance I found and wrote to me sweets in the Philippines and what started out as pan pal turned to friendship to love over the net. I visited her once and after the first visitand beating my own deamons down, I admitted to myself that I was in love w/her. I visited a second time a few months later and proposed (over the net) and she accepted. Now we are in the final stages of bringing her over to the states to marry me and be my bestfriend/wife and soulmate.

LOVE IS GRAND WHEN THE 'RIGHT' LOVE IS FOUND! :D(L)

we met on an internet site in July 2004 and corresponded for about 6 weeks before I phoned him September 04. After that we phoned each other every day, anywhere between 2-6 times a day, often for hours at a time. We did this until we met in December 2004. We already knew before we met that we had met our perfect other half - so alike in 99% of ways and naturally complementing each other in all the ways that are important.

I moved to the USA in October 2005, selling absolutely all of my possessions and carrying just two bags of personal items, and we married two weeks after my arrival.

Only last night over dinner I was saying to my gorgeous husband how blessed I feel to be here, to have what we have and to wake up every morning with him beside me.

In years gone by I was one of those people who would have poo-pooed an internet relationship but I can honestly say it was the right thing for me and my husband. I couldn't have met anyone better for me if I had made him myself. And everyone who knows us always says how right we are for each other.

Wouldn't change a thing about how we met or out life together now. Best thing I ever did!

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

We met on me Prog Bazaar - I flirted with the Gypsy as I did so many others... he took it seriously - pursued me... now claims he has tamed the shrew - me??? I love him to bits :lol::luv::luv::lol:

Paul and I met on the Bazaar on the 14th January (he joined my progressive rock forum that day)

July 3rd he flew to England to meet me

We fell in love while he drove all over the place coz I cannot read maps (we were supposed to go to Ingleton - but touched Darlington 4 times, Pierce Bridge 6 times, Scotch Corner twice and Bernard Castle twice and we never did make it to Ingleton)

It has been so long and so much has happened in between...

Arrived in Houston on October 29th 2006

Married 17th November 2006

Lost my father 8th January 2007 (all dates are a blur after this)

Conditional Green Card dated 24th October 2007

I-751 posted on 6th August 2009

Received on 7th August 2009 in VT

Melo's Prog Bazaar

CTTE