18 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

How do I apply for an ITIN?

Use the latest revision of Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number to apply. Attach a valid federal income tax return unless you qualify for an exception, and include your original or certified proof of identity documents.

Because you are filing your tax return as an attachment to your ITIN application, you should not mail your return to the address listed in the Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ instructions. Instead, send your return, Form W-7 and proof of identity documents to:

Internal Revenue Service

Austin Service Center

ITIN Operation

P.O. Box 149342

Austin, TX 78714-9342

You may also apply using the services of an IRS-authorized Acceptance Agent or visit an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center in lieu of mailing your information to the IRS in Austin. TACs in the United States provide in-person help with ITIN applications on a walk-in or appointment basis. Applicants outside the United States should contact an overseas IRS office to find out if that office accepts Form W-7 applications. The IRS's ITIN Unit in Austin issues all numbers by mail.

Cassi & Benny's Important Dates

4/19/07 - Met Online ***** 8/12/08 - K1 Visa Received (191 days between NOA1 & receipt)
11/9/08 - MARRIED *****
2/9/09 - EAD Received (78 days between NOA1 & receipt)

4/11/09 - Green Card Received (139 days between NOA1 & receipt)
5/21/11 - 10Y Green Card Received (127 days between NOA1 & receipt)

5/16/13 - Bought our house

9/26/13 Oath (114 days between NOA1 & ceremony)

when my wife fills out the ITIN forms, do I attach that to my taxes and mail them away? or do we need send the ITIN paperwork somewhere else?

btw, my wife does not have a SSN yet.

Submit the W-7 with your tax return (unfortunately this means you can not file electronically). :thumbs:

Timeline

What documents are acceptable as proof of identity and foreign status?

IRS has streamlined the number of documents the agency will accept as proof of identity to obtain an ITIN. There are now 13 acceptable documents.

An original, or a certified or notarized copy, of an UNEXPIRED passport is the only document that is accepted for both identity and foreign status. If you do not have a passport, you must provide a combination of current documents that contain expiration dates - we accept documents issued within 12 months of the application if no expiration date is normally available. The documents must also show your name and photograph, and support your claim of foreign status.

IRS will accept certified or notarized copies of a combination (two or more) of the following documents, in lieu of a passport:

* National identification card (must show photo, name, current address, date of birth, and expiration date)

* U.S. driver's license

* Civil birth certificate (required for dependents under 18 years old)

* Foreign driver's license

* U.S. state identification card

* Foreign voter's registration card

* U.S. military identification card

* Foreign military identification card

* Visa

* U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) photo identification

* Medical records (dependents - under 14 years old only)

* School records (dependents and/or students - under 18 years old - only)

4/19/07 - Met Online ***** 8/12/08 - K1 Visa Received (191 days between NOA1 & receipt)
11/9/08 - MARRIED *****

Filed: Timeline
Ok so Ill submit my wifes w-7 with my tax return. My only question is the ID she needs to show. what ID do we need to send? because we have an AOS interview in april and must have her orignal forms of ID with her.

you guys are truly a savior thanks so much!!!

I will file my taxes today with my wife's W-7 and the headache will be over! thanks again!

IRS has streamlined the number of documents the agency will accept as proof of identity to obtain an ITIN. There are now 13 acceptable documents.

An original, or a certified or notarized copy, of an UNEXPIRED passport is the only document that is accepted for both identity and foreign status. If you do not have a passport, you must provide a combination of current documents that contain expiration dates - we accept documents issued within 12 months of the application if no expiration date is normally available. The documents must also show your name and photograph, and support your claim of foreign status.

IRS will accept certified or notarized copies of a combination (two or more) of the following documents, in lieu of a passport:

* National identification card (must show photo, name, current address, date of birth, and expiration date)

* U.S. driver's license

* Visa

so which form should we file? 1040 ez jointly? we dont have a house or anything.

Timeline

I don't know your specifics but the IRS has a "guide" to determine which to use.

Which form to File

Edited by cassi9879

11/9/08 - MARRIED *****

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

* U.S. driver's license

* Visa

so which form should we file? 1040 ez jointly? we dont have a house or anything.

BR - You may want to wait to file your taxes. Go through some of the tax threads on here and you will understand why. I am assuming you married in 2008, as such your wife is entitled to the stimulus rebate most people received last year. However, when congress passed the stimulus bill (last year's), they excluded anyone without a SSN. Those filing with an ITIN will not receive it. So to make sure your wife gets her $600 worth of stimulus:

A) File now as MFJ with the ITIN then once her GC arrives, get a SSN, then submit an amended return (1040X) to claim the "recovery rebate" of $600.

B) File for an extension on your taxes (you will receive a six month extension by asking) and file them once you have her SSN.

Rebate info:

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=186065,00.html

Amended return info:

http://www.irs.gov/app/picklist/list/forms...eria=formNumber

Filing extension info:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4868.pdf

Other threads:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...c=170514&hl=

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...c=178816&hl=

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...c=180296&hl=

John

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

* U.S. driver's license

* Visa

BR - You may want to wait to file your taxes. Go through some of the tax threads on here and you will understand why. I am assuming you married in 2008, as such your wife is entitled to the stimulus rebate most people received last year. However, when congress passed the stimulus bill (last year's), they excluded anyone without a SSN. Those filing with an ITIN will not receive it. So to make sure your wife gets her $600 worth of stimulus:

A) File now as MFJ with the ITIN then once her GC arrives, get a SSN, then submit an amended return (1040X) to claim the "recovery rebate" of $600.

B) File for an extension on your taxes (you will receive a six month extension by asking) and file them once you have her SSN.

Rebate info:

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=186065,00.html

Amended return info:

http://www.irs.gov/app/picklist/list/forms...eria=formNumber

Filing extension info:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4868.pdf

Other threads:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...c=170514&hl=

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...c=178816&hl=

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...c=180296&hl=

John

Hey john, we got married in November 2008, is she even eligible for the stimulus?

Just an FYI - that stimulus 'rebate' is not guaranteed to be $600 - there are qualifications to be met (such as earnings). It may not be worth the effort of holding up filing. :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Karin und Otto - Correct. I was being lazy on that point! Here is the link for the rebate calculator:

http://apps3.irs.gov/app3/rrcc/app/summary...#33;-1817745466

BostonRanger - Yes.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=177937,00.html

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Just an FYI - that stimulus 'rebate' is not guaranteed to be $600 - there are qualifications to be met (such as earnings). It may not be worth the effort of holding up filing. :thumbs:

I agree!

I got my recovery rabate credit worth of $300 only.

"Have faith in God, Jesus answered. I'll tell you the truth. if anyone says to this mountain, Go, throw yourself to the sea, and that does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen. it will be done for him. Therefore I'll tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours" (MARK 11:22-24)

• 4 weeks later...

I heard if i file for ITIN for my wife - it could be jointly or separated? what's this?

CITIZENSHIP 06-19-2013 Sent N400 Application (Chicago Lockbox)

06-21-2013 USCIS received my N400 application

06-25-2013 USCIS mailed the NOA1

06-28-2013 USCIS mailed the Biometrics appt

07-01-2013 Received NOA1 and Biometrics appt letter

​07-15-2013 Biometrics Appt.

08-27-2013 Interview/Test passed

10-07-2013 Oath taking

IR-5 MOM AND DAD

02-20-2014 mailed I-130 for my parents

02-24-2014 USCIS received the I-130 docs

03-17-2014 USCIS approved the petition (took 15 days, weekdays only)

03-25-2014 USCIS shipped the approved case to NVC

04-02-2014 NVC received the papers (6 days from the approval date)

05-01-2014 Got the 2 case numbers. (21 days)

05-07-2014 Got an email & paid the AOS fee (4 days); DS-261(Choice of Agent) sent

05-09-2014 AOS status "PAID" (2 days from the date the was paid)

05-22-2014 AOS docs delivered in NVC

06-27-2014 RFE for I864 and I864A (i left the Place of residence blank, 26 days from the date they received the AOS)

06-28-2014 Mailed the corrected forms to NVC

06-30-2014 NVC received the AOS corrected forms

07-01-2014 Received IV Bill Invoice, paid.

07-02-2014 PAID status of the mother

07-07-2014 PAID status of the father

07-08-2014 Mailed the supporting docs

07-10-2014 Supporting docs arrived at NVC

07-11-2014 Submitted DS260 of mother

07-13-2014 Submitted DS260 of father

09-04-2014 Called NVC and the lady said CASE COMPLETE! (136 days total from the day they received the I-130)

09-11-2014 Received an email regarding the Interview (5 days from the day the case was completed)

09-15-2014 Status "In Transit" inCEAC

09-16-2014 Status "Ready" CEAC

10-03-2014 Interview/AP/USEM (no record of their medical,DAD needs to get an NBI explanation letter&new NBI clearance with his "aka"

10-8-2014 Mom called St Lukes and asked about the medical results, they said they submitted it already back in June

10-10-2014 Mom mailed the NBI Clearance of my dad

10-14-2014 NBI clearance delivered in USEM

10-06-2014 Visa Issued CEAC

10-09-2014 Got an email that my dad's visa was issued

10-14-2014 Visa delivered 11-29-2014 POE

12-08-2014 SS Card arrived

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

be careful with trying to get the number, i sent forms with my taxes, never did receive a number and taxes were adjusted by the irs and then sent to me it was quite a few months delay. He is here now has his social, i did the taxes, sent back quickly (correctly done) and now i will adjust last years> Both years filed as joint but with no number the first went back to seperate

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.