rocks

name change and shipping

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

ok, i'm sure this is a stupid question but i'm a little confused and would appreciate some help. ;)

my dad is preparing to ship my stuff from home over here, i'm a little confused about this though. the shipping company said they wanted a copy of my visa and passport, i don't have my greencard yet so i gave a copy of my k1 visa and i-94. we got married almost a month ago and i have changed my name, obviously my passport and k1 visa have my maiden name. the shipping company have mailed me lots of confusing forms to fill out, which asks for many things including my social security number which is in my married name. my question is, do i use my maiden name which matches with my passport/visa or my married name which matches my social security number? :wacko:

ok, i'm sure this is a stupid question but i'm a little confused and would appreciate some help. ;)

my dad is preparing to ship my stuff from home over here, i'm a little confused about this though. the shipping company said they wanted a copy of my visa and passport, i don't have my greencard yet so i gave a copy of my k1 visa and i-94. we got married almost a month ago and i have changed my name, obviously my passport and k1 visa have my maiden name. the shipping company have mailed me lots of confusing forms to fill out, which asks for many things including my social security number which is in my married name. my question is, do i use my maiden name which matches with my passport/visa or my married name which matches my social security number? :wacko:

Which removal shipping company did you say that was? I've never been asked for a copy of my visa and passport..

Timeline

Which removal shipping company did you say that was? I've never been asked for a copy of my visa and passport..

gb liners. they need it to clear customs apparently. :blink:

They mainly need your passport/visa to show immigration status. You don't pay any customs duty if you're bringing your own household goods into the country. There are forms to fill out stating your status, as opposed to an importer. An agent will claim your belongings on your behalf from the port of entry and clear customs for you. It would probably be less confusing if you used the name on your visa/passport. As far as the SSN, I would leave that blank. Lot's of immigrants ship before they get a SSN so it's not really a part of the shipping customs information. If you were a USC who had been living abroard and were returning to the US, then the SSN might be more appropriate, but they aren't going to need anything more than the passport/visa info and a detailed list of what's in the boxes to show the customs officers.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline
They mainly need your passport/visa to show immigration status. You don't pay any customs duty if you're bringing your own household goods into the country. There are forms to fill out stating your status, as opposed to an importer. An agent will claim your belongings on your behalf from the port of entry and clear customs for you. It would probably be less confusing if you used the name on your visa/passport. As far as the SSN, I would leave that blank. Lot's of immigrants ship before they get a SSN so it's not really a part of the shipping customs information. If you were a USC who had been living abroard and were returning to the US, then the SSN might be more appropriate, but they aren't going to need anything more than the passport/visa info and a detailed list of what's in the boxes to show the customs officers.

yeah, i thought my maiden name would be more appropriate, as always you save the day. thanks a lot! you rock. :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.