Kaching

Birth Abroad Questions

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Was wanting to ask a few questions and what I saw around the site didn't really answer anything so hoping someone might have some insight :)

We are in the states now 1 of us is a US citizen and the other now is canadian but a resident now. Our son was born in vancouver but we never did the birth abroad, stupid I know. Anyway I wanted to know if there was a way here in the states to either be able to get his birth abroad or do something else to his actual papers avoiding going back to canada to do it. Also if we have to go back to canada can we do his birth abraod papers in Montreal or Ottawa even? Any help or suggestion will be appreciated and thanks :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

Both my children were born abroad (Japan and Spain), but I always registered them immediately. I would suggest calling the U.S. consulate in Montreal about what you can do.

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2008-08-29 in Canada

I-130 Sent : 2008-10-14

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-20

I-130F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

I-129F Sent : 2008-11-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

NVC Received : 2009-05-12

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-19

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-06-10

Interview: 2009-09-10 APPROVED

See my interview experience here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=217544&hl=

Visa Received : 2009-09-16

US Entry : 2009-09-27

EAD received: 2009-12-21

AOS interview: 2010-02-05 (medical exam missing from documents)

Recieved RFE for missing medical exam that they lost. Submitted new exam March 10, 2010.

Notified that he is in background checks after submitting three service requests: July, 2010

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You most definately do not need to go back to Canada to get documentation of your child's U.S. citizenship.

Without knowing when your child was born and assuming you have lived in the States for several years and you are sure you child has a claim to citizenship - what you can do now is either apply for a passport for him/her - or for a certificate of citizenship.

Persons not currently residing in Canada who require proof of American citizenship have two options: link

- They may apply for American passports from within the United States by presenting documentary evidence of their claim to U.S. citizenship as stated on the back of the DS/DSP-11 (Application for Passport) form. The cost is US$82 if the child is under age 16, or US$97 if the child is 16 or older, or

- They may apply to the nearest office of the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services for a Certificate of Citizenship.

Edited by trailmix

You most definately do not need to go back to Canada to get documentation of your child's U.S. citizenship.

Without knowing when your child was born and assuming you have lived in the States for several years and you are sure you child has a claim to citizenship - what you can do now is either apply for a passport for him/her - or for a certificate of citizenship.

Persons not currently residing in Canada who require proof of American citizenship have two options: link

- They may apply for American passports from within the United States by presenting documentary evidence of their claim to U.S. citizenship as stated on the back of the DS/DSP-11 (Application for Passport) form. The cost is US$82 if the child is under age 16, or US$97 if the child is 16 or older, or

- They may apply to the nearest office of the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services for a Certificate of Citizenship.

Hi there and thanks for the reply :)

He's 2 years old. When i called the passport office they told me he needs his SSN and i don't have one for him since I don't have his birth abroad papers since I couldn't get him a SSN without it. Such a vicious circle let me tell you lol. I will try that route and thanks again :)

Timeline

He's 2 years old. When i called the passport office they told me he needs his SSN and i don't have one for him since I don't have his birth abroad papers since I couldn't get him a SSN without it. Such a vicious circle let me tell you lol. I will try that route and thanks again :)

Wow, I don't know who you talked to but they are wrong. I got my U.S. passport and I did not have a social security number yet. In fact, when I applied for my passport they gave me the application for the SSN as well (which I got later).

From the passport information page:

Foreign Birth Documents + Parent(s) Citizenship Evidence

If you claim citizenship through birth abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s), but cannot submit a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth, you must submit all of the following:

Your foreign birth certificate

Evidence of citizenship of your U.S. citizen parent

Parents' marriage certificate

An affidavit of your U.S. citizen parent showing all periods and places of residence or physical presence in the United States and abroad before your birth

Edited by trailmix

Wow, I don't know who you talked to but they are wrong. I got my U.S. passport and I did not have a social security number yet. In fact, when I applied for my passport they gave me the application for the SSN as well (which I got later).

From the passport information page:

Foreign Birth Documents + Parent(s) Citizenship Evidence

If you claim citizenship through birth abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s), but cannot submit a Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth, you must submit all of the following:

Your foreign birth certificate

Evidence of citizenship of your U.S. citizen parent

Parents' marriage certificate

An affidavit of your U.S. citizen parent showing all periods and places of residence or physical presence in the United States and abroad before your birth

Thank you, thank you!!! I would kiss you if you were here lol. Much appreciated and a load off my back :D

I'll update once it's done :)

Timeline
Thank you, thank you!!! I would kiss you if you were here lol. Much appreciated and a load off my back :D

No problem and you are welcome!

One other thing - when the U.S. citizen writes out the affidavit "showing all periods and places of residence or physical presence in the United States and abroad before your (childs) birth"

They will probably ask for proof of this, so you will want to have copies of the U.S. Citizens stamps in his/her passport (like the entry to Canada for instance) - they may ask for his/her school records - just basic proof to say hey, I did live in the States on the dates I have claimed.

Good luck :thumbs:

No problem and you are welcome!

One other thing - when the U.S. citizen writes out the affidavit "showing all periods and places of residence or physical presence in the United States and abroad before your (childs) birth"

They will probably ask for proof of this, so you will want to have copies of the U.S. Citizens stamps in his/her passport (like the entry to Canada for instance) - they may ask for his/her school records - just basic proof to say hey, I did live in the States on the dates I have claimed.

Good luck :thumbs:

We don't have any stamps on the passports lol.

Guess we have to call the school bard and get the records lol

Thanks! :)

Our son was born in Canada. Husband (the american citizen) just went in and applied for our sons US passport. He didn't need to have a SSN for out son for him apply. We don't have any birth abroad papers for him. Eventually, we will probably get them, but it was actually really easy to just get him a US passport for now.

My husband didn't have any stamps in his passport either and he didn't have to supply any school board records. He just signed the affidavit and wrote down all his places of residence in the US.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Was wanting to ask a few questions and what I saw around the site didn't really answer anything so hoping someone might have some insight :)

We are in the states now 1 of us is a US citizen and the other now is canadian but a resident now. Our son was born in vancouver but we never did the birth abroad, stupid I know. Anyway I wanted to know if there was a way here in the states to either be able to get his birth abroad or do something else to his actual papers avoiding going back to canada to do it. Also if we have to go back to canada can we do his birth abraod papers in Montreal or Ottawa even? Any help or suggestion will be appreciated and thanks :)

is your son a greencard holder or not?

YMMV

Timeline

My husband didn't have any stamps in his passport either and he didn't have to supply any school board records. He just signed the affidavit and wrote down all his places of residence in the US.

:thumbs:

I agree - probably in 99% of the cases that is all they require - however, they sometimes do require 'proof' of said residence. I wouldn't bother getting school records or anything - until and if they ask for them.

• 5 months later...

So yaaay he got his passport and ssn so phew but now my other question is how does he get his birth abroad for the future? Do we still have to do an interview and all that and go back to canada or will they just send it? I've tried calling but you don't get through.

Trailmix thanks again you were awesome! :)

Timeline

You're welcome!

His U.S passport is all he needs to prove his U.S. citizenship - nothing more. You can apply for a certificate of citizenship - but you don't need one.

Edited by trailmix

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.