M&D

Asking for the tourist visa

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Hi everybody, I'm very pleased for your help, I wonder if I can ask for a tourist visa while my application is still spending at VSC...!

Yes, you can apply for a tourist visa. I would disclose the fact to the american consulate in canada, that you have filed a 129f petition, for a K-1 visa.

But since you do not have a Fiance visa, you can apply for a tourist visa.

I-129F mailed to VSC - 08/27/08

I-129F recieved at VSC - 08/28/08

Check Cleared - 09/02/08 (Case number on back of check, never mailed me NOA1)

Touched - 09/03/08

Touched - 09/23/08

Touched - 09/24/08 (I think it relates to my change of address request)

Approval notice - 02/26/09 (updated timeline)

Approval Hardcopy - 03/05/09

Left NVC - 03/05/2009

Interview - 05/19/2009

Entered USA- 08/03/2009

P.O.E. - Atlanta, GA

http://www.myspace.com/freethinkers

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi everybody, I'm very pleased for your help, I wonder if I can ask for a tourist visa while my application is still spending at VSC...!

You can ask (or even apply for one) but being from Canada why do you feel you would need one? A visa does not guarantee entry...

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

You can ask (or even apply for one) but being from Canada why do you feel you would need one? A visa does not guarantee entry...

It depends. Do the embassies in Canada pre-screen potential visa receivers? In russia, they pre-screen people. My fiancee had to visit the consulate and interview with an officer and provide an assortment of documents showing that she does indeed have strong reason to return to russia after visiting the USA.

In the end, she received her tourist visa... and when she was at the P.O.E. in New York, she just handed the C.O. her Visa. No questions, no problems. Because, she was basically pre-screened prior to getting the visa, so no need to do so at the port.

Now, if canada doesn't involve that process, if you just fill out an application, mail it off and 2 weeks later you get a Tourist visa in the mail, than yea.. you may or may not have problems at the P.O.E.

I-129F mailed to VSC - 08/27/08

I-129F recieved at VSC - 08/28/08

Check Cleared - 09/02/08 (Case number on back of check, never mailed me NOA1)

Touched - 09/03/08

Touched - 09/23/08

Touched - 09/24/08 (I think it relates to my change of address request)

Approval notice - 02/26/09 (updated timeline)

Approval Hardcopy - 03/05/09

Left NVC - 03/05/2009

Interview - 05/19/2009

Entered USA- 08/03/2009

P.O.E. - Atlanta, GA

http://www.myspace.com/freethinkers

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would be cautious about it, but I will say that my Fiance has come to the U.S. 4 times while our case was pending, and given a b2 visa. 3 out of 4 we were traveling in and out of Canada together. In the first 2 trips, there was no mention of the K-1 application. The last 2 trips were very mildly questioned because we were bringing in boxes as luggage to move things early since it's free as he works for the airline. They (customs) asked to see a "receipt" (NOA1) to prove we had filed for a K-1 on the 3rd trip and we didn't have it. They just said make sure you have it "next time" if there was to be one. The last trip he came on his own and had even more boxes. They questioned him again obviously being on his own with boxes (that looks like you're moving!), this time he had the NOA1 and a copy of his itinerary showing he was going back to Canada. Again, they were a little more lenient with the boxes because of him working for the airline, and understanding this would be an easier way for us to get things done ahead of time. So be very cautious if you do make the decision to cross the border, and be prepared in case they don't let you through. FYI We traveled through the Toronto Pearson International Airport.

2d18fm8.jpg

July 14, 2000 - Officially became a couple

February 14, 2008 - Engaged, finally! ;)

July 8, 2008 - Mailed in I-129F Application

July 15, 2008 - I-129F Received by VSC

August 4, 2008 - NOA1

August 7, 2008 - Touched

February 4, 2009 - Touched

February 4, 2009 - NOA2 SENT, APPROVED!

February 5, 2009 - Touched

February 9, 2009 - NVC letter received

February 18, 2009 - Packet 3 received

March 31, 2009 - Interview in Vancouver

April 1, 2009 - Medical in Vancouver, VISA APPROVED & in hand!

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.