Rocky_nBullwinkle

Biden Gives Odds on Messing Up

18 posts in this topic

By Edward Epstein, CQ Staff

Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. is nothing if not optimistic. So it was a little surprising when he hedged a bit earlier today, telling House Democrats there is "30 percent chance we'll get it wrong."

He was referring to efforts by the new administration and the Congress to address what he called a "constellation of crises" at home and abroad that pose great risks for the nation.

"If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30 percent chance we'll get it wrong," he told the lawmakers at their policy retreat in Williamsburg, Va.

Biden, who stopped at the meeting on his way to an international security conference in Munich, said "not since World War II, at least, has a caucus gathered with so much at stake for our country, with the stakes so high." He listed the economic crisis and ongoing fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan as the most pressing issues.

Biden used a football analogy to describe the situation in Iraq, saying the United States is "on the 20-yard-line" and "driving toward the goal." But sticking with his football metaphor, the vice president said the situation in Afghanistan is much more serious now. The effort there, he said, "is on the 20-yard-line with 80 yards to go. We've got a long, long way to go."

He also warned that the United States will have to extend a new aid package to Pakistan to help fight the Taliban influence.

He thanked the lawmakers for passing an $819 billion stimulus bill (HR 1).

"In these uncharted waters, you stepped up in a big way," he said.

http://www.cq.com/flatfiles/editorialFiles...l?docid=3026783

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

Biden used a football analogy to describe the situation in Iraq, saying the United States is "on the 20-yard-line" and "driving toward the goal." But sticking with his football metaphor, the vice president said the situation in Afghanistan is much more serious now. The effort there, he said, "is on the 20-yard-line with 80 yards to go. We've got a long, long way to go."

We've already fumbled once which resulted in a score by the 'bad' guys :angry:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i wonder what odds vegas is giving for this.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Timeline

Barack Obama throws Joe Biden under the bus

Pity poor Joe Biden. His "there's still a 30 percent chance we're going to get it wrong" quote is put straight to President Barack Obama during the White House press conference just now and his boss seemed to want to say: "Vice-President Who?"

As reporters started giggling, Obama came close to conceding that Biden was indeed a joke. "You know, I don't remember exactly what Joe was referring to, not surprisingly."

The President went on to say that "I think what Joe may have been suggesting, although I wouldn't ascribe any numerical percentage to any of this, is that given the magnitude of the challenges that we have, any single thing that we do is going to be part of the solution, not all of the solution."

Of course, Biden wasn't saying anything of the sort - Obama knew that and all the rest of us did too.

Biden's exact quote, read out by Fox's Major Garrett at the presser was: "If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, if we stand up there and we really make the tough decisions, there's still a 30 percent chance we're going to get it wrong."

Clearly, Obama and his aides were unhappy about Biden's loose lips. On Friday, top Obama adviser David Axelrod said on CNN: "I don't know exactly about what that math was."

We're probably going to have to get used to Obama explaining "what Joe may have been suggesting". And Biden must be wondering if he's going to end up as a Dan Quayle figure.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/toby_harnden/...n_under_the_bus

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline

50% of the time I'm right 100% of the time....

Edited by Grandoner

Emmett Fitz-Hume: I'm sorry I'm late, I had to attend the reading of a will. I had to stay till the very end, and I found out I received nothing... broke my arm.

Timeline

Sex Panther?

its a formidable scent.. it stings the nostriles... in a good way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMq9yLGV4Ts

Emmett Fitz-Hume: I'm sorry I'm late, I had to attend the reading of a will. I had to stay till the very end, and I found out I received nothing... broke my arm.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

At least they are being honest. In the last administration, all they could do is make up reasons why they think they are right. Here if they are not being overly optimistic.

A woman is like a tea bag: she does not know how strong she is until she is in hot water.

- Nancy Reagan

Timeline
At least they are being honest. In the last administration, all they could do is make up reasons why they think they are right. Here if they are not being overly optimistic.

The executive office is about leadership and it is truly a "crisis of confidence" (fu*k u Carter) when the leadership isnt giving the public some confidence

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Sex Panther?

Its made from bits of real panther. So you know its good.

Also illegal in 9 countries.

Timeline

Sex Panther?

Its made from bits of real panther. So you know its good.

Also illegal in 9 countries.

it smells like bigfoots' #######

Timeline
I disagree. I think it smells like a ####### covered in burnt hair.

perhaps we will agree then that it is like a diaper filled with indian food

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

The executive office is about leadership and it is truly a "crisis of confidence" (fu*k u Carter) when the leadership isnt giving the public some confidence

What a load of #######. True leadership is not to lie, and provide false hope. The first bailout did nothing for the economy, I think everyone knows the second will not do magic either, just push us into deeper debt.

A woman is like a tea bag: she does not know how strong she is until she is in hot water.

- Nancy Reagan