Jasman0717

To flee poverty, Filipinas marry foreigners

144 posts in this topic

This was passed in one of the Philippines Expats groups that I belong to.

MANILA, Philippines- The inability of the Philippine economy to produce

high-paying jobs especially for women has pushed Filipinos to marry

foreigners as a way to provide for their families, the study Country

Gender Assessment by regional lender Asian Development Bank said.

The number of Filipinos marrying foreigners have also tripled in just a

span of eight years from 7,819 in 1998 to 24, 954 in 2006.

It is also estimated that currently, 300,000 Filipinos, 92 percent of

whom are women, are married to foreigners mainly from the United States,

Japan, Canada, the United Kingdom and South Korea.

"(I)n the Philippines (as elsewhere), the phenomenon of 'mail order

brides' is not uncommon. In the absence of employment prospects and with

families to care for, many women view marrying a foreigner as an easy

ticket to an overseas life with steady remittances. With the advent of

the Internet, chat rooms, and text messaging the marriage migration

numbers are on the rise," the ADB said.

Data from The Commission on Filipinos Overseas showed that Filipino

women marrying men from East Asian countries tend to be younger and less

educated. These foreign men also usually are at least 40 years older

than their Filipino brides.

"Reports indicate that more women apply for 'marriage visas' to Japan as

a result of Japan reducing its official demand for entertainers, " ADB

said.

In 2005 Japan has imposed a stricter immigration policy following

Tokyo's inclusion in a US watchlist of high incidence of human

smuggling.

ADB said Manila should undertake measures to protect Filipino women as

those who marry foreigners that they do not know face enormous risks.

"Many of the men live in remote areas and are unsuccessful with women

from their own culture, who they feel are spoiled and have too many

freedoms. Instead, they want women with 'traditional' family values who,

once in the country, have nowhere to turn and are completely at their

mercy," ADB said.

Among the recommendations of the ADB was to tap remittances from

overseas Filipinos for productive investment and sustainable livelihood

opportunities for women so that migration becomes a choice rather than a

necessity.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

i hope the governement csn do something about this not just talk about it huh? some pinays or others doesnt know what they are getting into.. i think that ws the reason that they made CFO seminar a little scarier than necessary.. lols

😁

necessity.

Sad, but true.

---Rocky

Edited by Rocky_nBullwinkle

Hokey Smoke!

Rocky: "Baby, are they still mad at us on VJ?"

Bullwinkle: "No, they are just confused."

These foreign men also usually are at least 40 years older than their Filipino brides.

And I thought I was an old geezer :blink:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is just a mere observation and my opinion regarding that issue.

For women like me, here in the Philippines, in order to be able to get much better salary and work in a good company, you should have good education credentials. If your profession is required board examination, then you should have license. Then, if you are just an average in all of that, sometimes, they prefer more men than women.

I couldn't speak myself regarding the issue of getting married to foreigners because of possible good fortune because I am already career woman here in the Philippines, and I must say that I have given here a good opportunity. But then, I will not blame some Filipina if they marry a foreigner because of much better life they can get because the inequality for opportunities here between man and woman is still rampant.

The government have more issues to address than giving some attention on this issue. But, it's alarming that some Filipina experiencing domestic violence from their foreign spouse. Maybe, the officials will see these things as problem when the number of violence related on this issue is getting higher. But as long as they get benefits on this, I don't think they will give importance on this.

When I attend the CFO seminar, I'll try to analyze if it helps to avoid problems regarding on this. Maybe, we can suggest more things that they need to tackle for the benefit of all Filipinos that going abroad.

Lifting Condition (I-751)

09/09/2011 - Sent the package to CSC

09/13/2011 - CSC received the package

09/15/2011 - CSC cashed check and NOA1 Received

09/26/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice Date (Sent)

10/13/2011 - Early Biometrics

10/19/2011 - Biometrics Appointment

10/26/2011 - GC expiration

11/25/2011 - Received RFE

11/28/2011 - Sent response to RFE

01/13/2012 - Ordered card production (Approved)

01/19/2012 - 10 yrs GC received

foreign men usually at least 40 years older???

Is this really true???

:wacko:

These foreign men also usually are at least 40 years older than their Filipino brides.

And I thought I was an old geezer :blink:

Me to :thumbs:

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The unemployment rate for men inside the Philippines is higher than that of the women. More women have more options to work abroad as maids, and entertainers etc. That is why there is more women working abroad than men.

The women in the philippines have more options open to them than the men both inside and out. Now I went back to 1997, and it shows that the male unemployment rate is increasing faster than the women. More women have jobs in the Philippines than men. Also the women have the option, because their carry the goods, to go marry abroad. Older men looking for wives opens another door for young naive filipina women to leave the country.

The article is bias, and makes it seem like the women are suffering more than the men. Filipino men are suffering the most here.

08-21-2008 Mailed I-129F Package (via USPS)

08-25-2008 NOA1 (This is the date on the I-797, did not recieve it in my mail til Aug 29)

12/18/2008 NOA2

12/24/2008 Received at NVC

01/05/2009 Received at USE Manila

01/07/2009 Scheduled Interview (1/21/09)

01/12/2009 Medical Appointment SLEC (Passed: Done by 1:30pm)

01/21/2009 Interview at U.S. Embassy - APPROVED!

02/13/2009 Visa Delivered

03/21/2009 Ann has arrived

AOS, EAD, AP, Petition

03/14/2011 AOS, EAD, AP, Petition mailed by Priority Mail through USPS

03/16/2011 Delivery Confirmation USPS

04/22/2011 NOA1 Emails(3) Received and check cashed (I-485, I-765, I-131)

04/29/2011 Check Cashed for I-130 Petition (We are petitioning our son, he is 13 yrs old)

05/02/2011 Biometric Appointment Letter for May 25 (But we will do a walk-in this week)

05/04/2011 Biometric Completed today.

05/14/2011 Email and Text of I131 Travel Document is APPROVED

05/14/2011 Email and Text of I765 Employment Authorization "Ordered Production of New Card Ordered"

05/16/2011 Email and Text and Rcv'd Appt Letter in the mail for June 16

05/19/2011 EAD card received in the mail today!!

06/16/2011 AOS Interview COMPLETED -SUCCESSFUL

06/17/2011 Email/Text Card Production - APPROVED

06/20/2011 Received SS card in the mail today

06/27/2011 Received Green Card in Hand today!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nepal
Timeline

This articles generalized filipinos as a whole. I can not speak for others but I will speak for myself.

Unemployment rate in the philippines is rapidly increasing as the government can not provide more jobs for all of us.. .. Filipino men or women go abroad to work to support their families back home, and I will consider myself that I am one of them, I was 22yo when I left the Philippines, i had a nice career back then, it does not pay that much but it taught all the legal aspects in courts and such. By perseverance I guess and hardwork, I reach the goal i have in life by having a job that better my life and my family back home.. Then I met my husband.

Now, marrying a foreigner like my husband is not the option for me to have a good life, as I believe with perseverance and hardwork, I can be able to support my parents back home.. I did not intend to marry my husband who is coinsidence a USC national but it was destiny that brought us together.

It does not mean that when we married a foreigner, our life is in a bed of roses.. We also have to work and help our husband financially to have a better life for the family.

Edited by Completely
jamesfiretrucksg2.th.jpgthpix.gif

i find this article offensive being a USC married to a Filipina. My wife is highly educated and has no problem supporting her family with her income but because she chose a foreigner to marry she should be branded as some kind of pathetic soul. that is so wrong. The fact of the matter is the Philippine Government is mostly to Blame for this situation, if they focused more on eliminating the corruption running rampant in their government and less time on pushing issues like this, maybe Filipinos would have more options to remain in the Philippines and the whole social structure could improve. As far as the domestic violence for Filipinos abroad goes there are far more instances of abuse coming from employers of " helpers" and entertainers than from abuses by foreign spouses and it is offensive for this type of article to state it so unfairly.

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

Marriage : 2007-05-10

I-130 Sent : 2008-06-30

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-07-09

I-130 Approved : 2009-01-27

NVC Received : 2009-02-02

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2009-02-11

DS-3032 E-Mail accepted: 2009-02-11

Pay I-864 Bill 2009-02-14

Receive I-864 Package : 2009-02-14

Return Completed I-864 : 2009-02-18

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2009-02-11

IV Bill generated: 2009-02-11

Receive IV Bill : 2009-02-14

Pay IV Bill : 2009-02-14

Receive Instruction Package : 2009-02-18

NVC received both packages: 2009-02-20

DS-230 & I-864 scanned NVC: 2009-02-23

Case Completed at NVC : 2009-02-26

Interview confirmed: 2009-02-27

NVC Left : 2009-03-06

Consulate Received : 2009-03-09

Medical completed: 2009-03-20

Interview Date : 2009-04-03

Visa Received : 2009-04-07

US Entry : 2009-05-10

Timeline
i find this article offensive being a USC married to a Filipina. My wife is highly educated and has no problem supporting her family with her income but because she chose a foreigner to marry she should be branded as some kind of pathetic soul. that is so wrong. The fact of the matter is the Philippine Government is mostly to Blame for this situation, if they focused more on eliminating the corruption running rampant in their government and less time on pushing issues like this, maybe Filipinos would have more options to remain in the Philippines and the whole social structure could improve. As far as the domestic violence for Filipinos abroad goes there are far more instances of abuse coming from employers of " helpers" and entertainers than from abuses by foreign spouses and it is offensive for this type of article to state it so unfairly.

But with all honesty, not many Japanese women are marrying foreigners at the same rate as most filpina women. Or any other country in the world. Most of us have to know that the women we marry are seeking some kind of better life when they come to the western world. We cant be nainve to think that there is not a large number of filipina who have a career, but still seek to marry a foreigner.

Its honest to say that if the unemployment rate there was not so bad, that many filipina woman would not be meeting their destiny mates in other countries. I mean if you look at the marriage crisis in the country itself, you have to see that there is something wrong here.

Why cant filipinos marry each other? I mean i know that so many of us think our mate is destiny, but all of us (especially men) like the idea of being able to bring these women to the U.S. and give them a better life. But in many ways it seems to be a slap in the face to the millions of filipino men who are also unemployed but they cant find mates, because they dont have sufficient income to provide for a family.

I was happy to find out the my soon to be wife was married to a filipino man before her and I met. He passed away some years ago. She was not looking for marriage to a foreigner. I respect her because at least she married a man from her own culture first. But all too often, the filipina women are completely overlooking a filipino man altogether. Leaving many of the men in the Philippines without wives, and without any stability.

My wife's father gave me the blessing to marry his daughter. She is older now, but I went to her whole family and told them that we wanted to be married. They thought is was good for both of us. WE have similar values. But in no way do I want to send the message to the men of the Philippines that I am stealing their women. All too often we overlook them. We dont see that women are going to always seek the man with the most assets, capital, money etc...Its been this way for millions of years between men and women. So lets not play like our wives want us for destiny and love. Because if filipino men had the access to a life like Japanese men do, the majority of filipina women would be marrying men of their own culture.

We have to look back...the high numbers of women seeking foreign husbands is really taking apart one of the valuable cultures on the planet.

I agree with the part of the article that says that there needs to be a real life choice for these women to seek foreign husbands. That so many of them are trying to leave a country becuase they see what they can get here in the United States. Like i tell my filipino extended family there, I tell them frankly "stay in the Philippines" let us help you make a better life there. Dont worry about coming here. Stay there and we will try and help you have a better life there, where you can stay in your own culture, and eat your own food, and marry someone that is of your own culture. My soon to be wife and I talk about this alot. She agrees. She loves me, but it is our hope that our neices dont get ants in their pants to go looking for a husband in America.

So we have to help them create opportunities there.

Its odd though, I talk to mexicans all over the United States and everyone of them will tell you that if they could make the money they make in America in Mexico they would never come here or stay here.

Most people want to be in their own country with their own type people. Nothing wrong with that.

08-25-2008 NOA1 (This is the date on the I-797, did not recieve it in my mail til Aug 29)

12/18/2008 NOA2

AOS, EAD, AP, Petition

04/29/2011 Check Cashed for I-130 Petition (We are petitioning our son, he is 13 yrs old)

05/02/2011 Biometric Appointment Letter for May 25 (But we will do a walk-in this week)

05/14/2011 Email and Text of I765 Employment Authorization "Ordered Production of New Card Ordered"

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nepal
Timeline

I completely agree with you..

As far oif the questions of Mr.. Mykuls, regarding as to why we married foreigner instead of marrying filipino, I will not speak or disrespect filipino men as they are also great person. But what to do if our path did not cross and I met someone who I fell in love with and married and coinsidence he is american national?

It is just so sad that when we marry an american we got branded like a shirt, and it is really unfair to us. But there's nothing we can do to change people's mind... It is just a matter of ignorance... We dont have to prove anything to anybody, people will say what they want to say but you know what as long as we are happy.. we can just ignore it.... It is just getting old after a while... Only our spouse will tell how we are to him.. and decide whether who is right or wrong..

MMV is right as far as the abuse to filipinos coming overseas like the helpers, especially in the Middle East.. But also, as far as I experience, filipinos here are getting abused also by some americans, not their spouse but people who is married but pretended that they were single, or even if they are single after they get what they want, they left the filipina pregnant.. A lot of cases here with a situation like that.. but we never branded american as a user. And this is not fair.

What iif we flipped the coin and will say that, american is just dating filipinos for one reason, to use their body and get their dignity out of her.. Isnt that bad? of course it is...

Edited by Completely
jamesfiretrucksg2.th.jpgthpix.gif

This was passed in one of the Philippines Expats groups that I belong to.

MANILA, Philippines- The inability of the Philippine economy to produce

high-paying jobs especially for women has pushed Filipinos to marry

foreigners as a way to provide for their families, the study Country

Gender Assessment by regional lender Asian Development Bank said.

The number of Filipinos marrying foreigners have also tripled in just a

span of eight years from 7,819 in 1998 to 24, 954 in 2006.

It is also estimated that currently, 300,000 Filipinos, 92 percent of

whom are women, are married to foreigners mainly from the United States,

Japan, Canada, the United Kingdom and South Korea.

"(I)n the Philippines (as elsewhere), the phenomenon of 'mail order

brides' is not uncommon. In the absence of employment prospects and with

families to care for, many women view marrying a foreigner as an easy

ticket to an overseas life with steady remittances. With the advent of

the Internet, chat rooms, and text messaging the marriage migration

numbers are on the rise," the ADB said.

Data from The Commission on Filipinos Overseas showed that Filipino

women marrying men from East Asian countries tend to be younger and less

educated. These foreign men also usually are at least 40 years older

than their Filipino brides.

said.

smuggling.

"Many of the men live in remote areas and are unsuccessful with women

from their own culture, who they feel are spoiled and have too many

freedoms. Instead, they want women with 'traditional' family values who,

once in the country, have nowhere to turn and are completely at their

mercy," ADB said.

necessity.

I consider alot of filipina who marry foreigner becuase white guys seeking of this.... filipina have

many aspect that other woman don't have.Filipina can survive in any struggle

cuz we are already trained cuz we live in poor family , filipina are intelligent in everyway and we fight can our rights.

However,becuase of love and much respectful we are defeated.

To help our parents,is not the obligation of the husband.Since we,filipino have a good heart

and can't take our family out their suffering ...thats why we help. It Depend to the husband if he will help or not.

if they will...thats come from the heart.

" If we could live life all over again,we would still choose each other.If we are reborn to second life, we would marry each other again,we are persons with one heart,one soul,the same dreams and aspiration."

Timeline

Hey I am not saying that you dont love your spouse or your soon to be husband. But the trend is clear, there are many filipina women who are marrying foreign men. Its not anything new here. I mean its hard to say if you are from the country that a good filipino man has never crossed your path though, ya think?

The trend is there for everyone to see, and no one can deny it. I am not blaming anyone here, but we all know that if the conditions were alot better inside the Philippines itself we would not see high numbers of filipina women marry foreign men.

The other thing about this, is that we dont see high numbers of these marriages that stay there in the Philippines. We always see the filipina leaving going off to U.S., Japan, Australia, Britain etc...

I mean I am not saying that the marriages are not true love but there is a clear spark here that facilitates the high numbers here. I mean its the same reason that these men go looking abroad for women in 3rd world countries. Its just truth. Its hard truth, but it is what it is.

And to be honest, the protection for filipinas is the most important thing here. The choice is not clear to all because many are dreaming for a life in the United States. Many (not all) are not making good conscious choices in the mate they find. Which raises the idea. The article did make another point that alot of the men who go looking for wives abroad usually have some issues as to why they cant find a woman in their own country. I mean that in itself can be a red flag.

If we truly want to protect these women who are making these bad choices, I think its best that we start looking closer at the intangibles it takes to marry someone from a foreign country. (And yes I would say that the rules need to more stringent for the Philippines.

Like I said, there is a marriage crisis in the country itself. At what point do we ask the question is this good for the Philippines as a whole.

12/18/2008 NOA2

AOS, EAD, AP, Petition

Timeline

said.

smuggling.

I completely agree with this statement made in the article.

12/18/2008 NOA2

AOS, EAD, AP, Petition

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.