Angel7422

Vonage or Magic Jack Part 2

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi,

I am back with a new question. My husband and I will more than likely get the Magic Jack but no matter which you choose, can you tell me how you sent it to your family overseas? Did you send it by DHL/FedEx or did you take it to them in person? My husband explained to his brother what computer requirements he needed for the Majic Jack to work and he brother asked if it was legal to send by mail that way. I purchased some hoodies for his brothers that I thought about including in the package with the Magic Jack if it wouldn't cost too much more. I thought it was okay to send this as I have read others were sending this to their families. Is it legal? I don't want to cause problems for our family overseas if its not legal and I don't want to send it if it will only be returned by the Egypt mail service. I would appreciate the advice.

f68cm6.png

4/7/08 -------> Rec'd email from USCIS showing Card Ordered, Woot Woot

4/14/08 -----> 10 yr green card in hand

Citizenship Timeline

8/20/08 -------> Mailed N-400 to TSC

8/21/08 -------> N-400 rec'd by TSC @ 10:42 am signed for by C Maxa

8/26/08 -------> Check cashed

8/28/08 -------> Called USCIS was told biometrics scheduled for Sept 12 @ 3 pm

9/02/08 -------> Received NOA 1 showing receipt date as August 22, 2008

9/02/08 -------> Received bio appt by snail mail verifying scheduled date as 9/12 @ 3 pm

9/12/08 -------> Fingerprints taken

12/16/08------> Interview @ 10:05 am [PASSED]; OAth given at 2 pm

***MY HUSBAND IS NOW A USC***

12/29/08 -----> Filed for US passport book and passport card for my husband

01/08/09 -----> Rec'd US passport book in mail today; still waiting for card and return of natz cert

1/10/09 ------> Rec'd US passport card and Natz cert.

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Some have sent it through the mail just fine. I sent one and even though I sent it in a package with a bunch of other stuff, they wouldn't let my husband have it. They said it was not allowed in Egypt. They were supposed to ship it back to me but I never got it. Hubby did not get in trouble, but it was a waste of 40 bucks for me to send it.

Anyways, mine didn't make it through, but others have sent them fine.

Living with hubby in Egypt, at last.

Timeline
Some have sent it through the mail just fine. I sent one and even though I sent it in a package with a bunch of other stuff, they wouldn't let my husband have it. They said it was not allowed in Egypt. They were supposed to ship it back to me but I never got it. Hubby did not get in trouble, but it was a waste of 40 bucks for me to send it.

Anyways, mine didn't make it through, but others have sent them fine.

How did you send the package, was it through dhl/fedex/ups or was it regular mail? Do the post office in cairo/alexandria open your packages and go through them?

f68cm6.png

Citizenship Timeline

9/02/08 -------> Received bio appt by snail mail verifying scheduled date as 9/12 @ 3 pm

01/08/09 -----> Rec'd US passport book in mail today; still waiting for card and return of natz cert

Timeline

As far as I know, and including what my husband has said, every package that goes to Egypt gets opened by the post office. I have sent numerous goodie boxes with stuff and they *always* get opened and he has to pay some sort of import tax on stuff.

I have always sent through regular mail. Too expensive to send otherwise. The last package I sent was 8 pounds and it cost me 55 bucks to mail through the post office.

** eta - the poster who said it was legal - sure if you get someone willing to take a bribe to let you bring it in. If someone wants to pay 60 dollars as a bribe, good for them. Either that or it just depends on the knowledge of the person at the post office. Maybe some of the workers think it's okay and some don't.

Edited by Melly 2

Timeline
As far as I know, and including what my husband has said, every package that goes to Egypt gets opened by the post office. I have sent numerous goodie boxes with stuff and they *always* get opened and he has to pay some sort of import tax on stuff.

I have always sent through regular mail. Too expensive to send otherwise. The last package I sent was 8 pounds and it cost me 55 bucks to mail through the post office.

** eta - the poster who said it was legal - sure if you get someone willing to take a bribe to let you bring it in. If someone wants to pay 60 dollars as a bribe, good for them. Either that or it just depends on the knowledge of the person at the post office. Maybe some of the workers think it's okay and some don't.

So you are saying basically that it is illegal? But if thats true then why do the compay(ies) say to use it when you travel to call the USA? Does Egypt open DHL packages?

f68cm6.png

Citizenship Timeline

Timeline
So you are saying basically that it is illegal? But if thats true then why do the compay(ies) say to use it when you travel to call the USA? Does Egypt open DHL packages?

I don't know for 100% certain that it is illegal, but to the best of my knowledge, in Egypt, it is illegal.

Magic Jack wants you to buy their product, I'm pretty sure they didn't search the rules for every country to see which you could legally use it from and which you couldn't. And there are many countries I'm sure it's fine to use it from.

I'm not saying don't buy it or use it, just that you are taking a risk that it will be confiscated if you ship it over.

I don't know about DHL I've never used them, but I would think that customs opens every package that comes in, regardless of what method you use to ship it.

Maybe someone else can come along and offer some advice.

Also, someone told me recently that using Skype internationally was free, though I know several people who use it internationally who say they pay for it. Maybe you should check that out as an alternative.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

hi everyone, i just wanted to share something with u, if ur family in egypt hav a computer and a internet connection the best option is OOVOO, a simple program they can download for free and u will need to pay for the minutes 5$ for 500mins or 15$ for 3000$ to any phone number in the usa and canada , i think it worths it specially when u know that the quality of the calls is so very good, thanks

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My husband just flew to Egypt a few weeks ago and since he had arrived he has tried the magic jack several times and we can never hear each other. I guess sometimes it works great and other times not at all.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Esalaams,

I live in Algeria, which has one of the most worst postal systems. Buuut with that said, my mum sent me mine via the good old US post, insured ... and it arrived within 10 days in 25 lb package amoung some other goodies for my kids. It cost her $130 for this 25 lb package. It was opened and stamped by Homeland security but not here France or Algeria.

It is 100% legal sending it by post. No one should make a fuss. Bribes I am not sure of in Egypt but here they usually steal better items like cell phones. I am sure they do not know what Magicjack does yet to steal it.

I would advise against DHL and FedEx ... very expensive for the same service US Post offers. But ideally, cheapest having someone take it them.

Bonne chance!

PS My husband uses ours to call his family in France. It gives us a much better rate. Also I have gotten friends here to buy them ... and now we talk here using our US umbers virtually free. (LOL some of my friends aren't even in the US LOLOLOL)

Timeline

There is a difference between legality of sending it in the mail, and legality of it being in a country. I never said it was illegal to mail it, only that the Egyptian postal workers said the device was illegal to use in Egypt.

Filed: Timeline
My husband just flew to Egypt a few weeks ago and since he had arrived he has tried the magic jack several times and we can never hear each other. I guess sometimes it works great and other times not at all.

Ours works like a charm...it sounds like they are right next door. BUT, when the egyptian internet is not working so well (which is VERY COMMON) it can go off or sound bad....this is not the magic jack but the internet in Egypt. :( Their internet service is horrible.

Also...make sure they are using a good phone thats plugged in ... not some cheapy thing...this makes all the difference as well! By experience we know this...:lol:

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

BUMPING cause I have a question! :P

Ok, so I got Magic Jack and installed it on the laptop I'm taking and leaving for my in-laws to use. Got the phone number and everything is set up and works fine.

But now I'm realizing that the laptop needs to be ON for it to work, right? If the laptop is closed, the magic jack connected to the usb will power off with the laptop. Which, if they want to call us is no biggie - turn the laptop on. But what if we wanna call them and the laptop's off? hmmm...

So now I'm thinking Vonage might be the better option - EXCEPT - that the Internet connection my hunny was going to get for the house is the portable USB modem that hooks up to the laptop. Me thinks Vonage won't work with that...

Any ideas???

Wish-upon-a-star-1.jpg

2009-07-11 AOS packet mailed (and supposedly delivered the same day)

2009-07-15 NOA1 for I-485, I-131, I-765 (USCIS rec'd date is 07-12)

2009-08-05 Case transferred to CSC

2009-08-12 no biometrics yet.......called on 30 day mark to report no biometrics, a service inquiry has been made on the case.....

2009-08-25 - received Biometrics appointment letter!

2009-08-27 I-131 (AP) approved

2009-09-15 Biometrics appointment

2009-09-15 EAD Card production ordered!

2009-09-23 EAD Card received

2009-10-06 GC approved/card production ordered

2009-10-13 GC received in the mail!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline
There is a difference between legality of sending it in the mail, and legality of it being in a country. I never said it was illegal to mail it, only that the Egyptian postal workers said the device was illegal to use in Egypt.

Yes the MJ is illegal to send to some countries. If you look on their website, I believe they have a page devoted to this issue. I know that Iran is listed as one of the prohibited countries. This is unfortunate because I wanted to send one to my mother and father-in-law. :-((

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2008-08-29 in Canada

I-130 Sent : 2008-10-14

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-20

I-130F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

I-129F Sent : 2008-11-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

NVC Received : 2009-05-12

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-19

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-06-10

Interview: 2009-09-10 APPROVED

See my interview experience here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=217544&hl=

Visa Received : 2009-09-16

US Entry : 2009-09-27

EAD received: 2009-12-21

AOS interview: 2010-02-05 (medical exam missing from documents)

Recieved RFE for missing medical exam that they lost. Submitted new exam March 10, 2010.

Notified that he is in background checks after submitting three service requests: July, 2010

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline
BUMPING cause I have a question! :P

Ok, so I got Magic Jack and installed it on the laptop I'm taking and leaving for my in-laws to use. Got the phone number and everything is set up and works fine.

But now I'm realizing that the laptop needs to be ON for it to work, right? If the laptop is closed, the magic jack connected to the usb will power off with the laptop. Which, if they want to call us is no biggie - turn the laptop on. But what if we wanna call them and the laptop's off? hmmm...

So now I'm thinking Vonage might be the better option - EXCEPT - that the Internet connection my hunny was going to get for the house is the portable USB modem that hooks up to the laptop. Me thinks Vonage won't work with that...

Any ideas???

I looked at the FAQ for magic jack and they said that you can enable call forwarding and have your magicJack number forwarded to a mobile, home or business number and shut your computer off or unplug your magicJack.

Don't know if that would help you or not. I'm not sure if you would then incur charges on your phone, but at least you would know if they were calling. Then I guess you could go turn on the laptop and call them back? Also, if your computer is off, the call will go to voicemail.

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2008-08-29 in Canada

I-130 Sent : 2008-10-14

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-20

I-130F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

I-129F Sent : 2008-11-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

NVC Received : 2009-05-12

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-19

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-06-10

Interview: 2009-09-10 APPROVED

See my interview experience here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=217544&hl=

Visa Received : 2009-09-16

US Entry : 2009-09-27

EAD received: 2009-12-21

AOS interview: 2010-02-05 (medical exam missing from documents)

Recieved RFE for missing medical exam that they lost. Submitted new exam March 10, 2010.

Notified that he is in background checks after submitting three service requests: July, 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.