amberdima

why people go to grad school

why people go to grad school  

28 members have voted

1. 1. reasons to go back

• can't find a job within my BA
    • can't find a job within my 2nd BA
    • can't repay my student loans because i can't find a job and enrolling in school will defer payments
    • i love writing papers and sitting next to as*holes
    • i love driving long distances to take meaningless courses
    • i have a deep passion for learning
    • i'll make a whopping $2,000 more per year once i spend $30,000 more on my education

20 posts in this topic

you should look into programs that allow you to work while earning your degree. i know that in nyc there is something called the nyc teaching fellows that allows master's students to work full time as teachers while they work towards their degree. tuition for the program is either decreased or waived.

another option is finding a program like the one i am in. i am not a teacher, but i am in grad school for psychology. i work 20 hours a week in a lab and get paid a stipend to do so. my tuition is completely free as well (and i go to a major university), so its basically like working while earning my degree. i am sure this sort of thing is out there for you if you look for it. this way you wont have to spend the 30k that you mentioned.

to answer the questions, i went back to school after a year off because the workplace was not in the least bit stimulating, and i wanted to learn. the mindless work (and coworkers!) was just too much for me. i think this is the best motivator of all.

good luck to you

Removal of Conditions NOA: 2/24/11

Biometrics Appt: 8/15/11

ROC Approval: 9/30/11

Card Production Ordered: 10/11/11

Card Received: 10/15/11

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Timeline
considering going back. can't find a teaching job with a K-5 and middle school social studies cert. maybe special ed will score me a decent paycheck and some health insurance. why did/ would you go back to school?

Run while you still can! Get a new profession..... :blush:

I'm a middle school teacher so I'm back at school (started this semester) so I can get a new job. I LOVE to teach so I'm going for my MA in TESOL because I love to teach adults and hope to work at a university either here or abroad (preferably). I will make more money which is one of the reasons for going back to school. Also, I'll burn out if I stay in middle school.

I'm at a state school so it's not that expensive and I'm really hoping this will open doors for me.

But I love to be in school too, and have wanted to get my MA for years.

This was my plan before I met Govi - wanted to teach English overseas and get some real career-worthy credentials since I am not a 22-year-old on a gap year. However, life(and love) intervened - who knows what the future may hold however, if they would hire a 60-year old English teacher in Bangkok or Chengdu I may yet get my 3rd Master's degree in TESOL.

thkirby-1.gifpetblink46.gif
BuddhaEyesGlobe.gif1433707c1j51myzp6.gif

1) Only go to grad school if you have a well-defined goal.

2) Try to make someone else foot the bill (an employer, a uni, something.)

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

1) Only go to grad school if you have a well-defined goal.

2) Try to make someone else foot the bill (an employer, a uni, something.)

good idea. i tried to go back on my own, but i'm maxed out on student loans. somebody hire me!