♥Stiggy♥

Can I still work?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey guys, not sure if this is OK or not.

Im here in Canada. My fiance isnt petitioning for the K3 until later on in the year (not getting married till then).

Anyhow, theres a company in the states thats looking for independant contractors to work from home, so they arent 'employee's' of the company. Ive passed all requirements for this job, but I want to make sure this isnt going to cause any issues for me. So how does taxation on this work? Can I claim this in Canada? Or do I have to for the states even though Im living here in Canada? Or is this even possible?

I just dont want to do this, then when I move down find out I shouldnt have done this for whatever reason (not paying us taxes since its a us company, or something like that).

Not sure where to put this? Please feel free to move it if its not in the right spot

Also, would I be able to do this until I get my EAD after I cross with my K3/Cr1?

Sarinha

First met March 2007, playing an MMORPG (ffxi)

Getting married Feb 12 2010

Will start our VJ Feb 2010

2c61618b8b94d52d.gif

I-130 Journey - VSC CR1 & CR2

02-xx-10 -I-130 sent

xx-xx-10- I-130 NOA1

xx-xx-xx- I-130 NOA2

- Total Days from NOA 1 to NOA2 xxx

I-129F Journey - VSC K3 & K4

xx-xx-xx I-130 Received @ NVC

xx-xx-xx Case Completed at NVC :

xx-xx-xx NVC Left:

- Total Days from NOA1 to NVC Complete xx

- Total Days @ NVC xx

Consulate

xx-xx-xx Received at Consulate

xx-xx-xx Medical Date

xx-xx-xx Interview Date [ ] Pass [ ] Fail

- Total Days from Recd at Consulate to Interview xxx

- Total Days from NOA1 to Interview xxx

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hey guys, not sure if this is OK or not.

Im here in Canada. My fiance isnt petitioning for the K3 until later on in the year (not getting married till then).

Anyhow, theres a company in the states thats looking for independant contractors to work from home, so they arent 'employee's' of the company. Ive passed all requirements for this job, but I want to make sure this isnt going to cause any issues for me. So how does taxation on this work? Can I claim this in Canada? Or do I have to for the states even though Im living here in Canada? Or is this even possible?

I just dont want to do this, then when I move down find out I shouldnt have done this for whatever reason (not paying us taxes since its a us company, or something like that).

Not sure where to put this? Please feel free to move it if its not in the right spot

Also, would I be able to do this until I get my EAD after I cross with my K3/Cr1?

Working in Canada for a US company is NOT working in the US....

If you cross with a CR1 then you are automatically work authorized the day you step foot on US soil.

YMMV

Timeline
Ho would you work for a US company without either a work visa, an EAD or an immigrant visa? This is sticky territory --- hope someone that is more knowledgeable helps us out. Be careful!

Any company can be an employer in a different country...

Toyota is a Japanese company with employees in many countries including the US....

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: Timeline
Ho would you work for a US company without either a work visa, an EAD or an immigrant visa? This is sticky territory --- hope someone that is more knowledgeable helps us out. Be careful!

Any company can be an employer in a different country...

Toyota is a Japanese company with employees in many countries including the US....

There you go - I knew I've heard something about it. Thanks bro!

Timeline

The company I will be working for doesnt require a SSN since they dont hire employee's. They will be hiring me as a 'contractor', and just pay me hourly, to work from home for them. Then its upto me to pay any applicable taxes (which I hope I can do it easily here in Canada, with a US company thats paying me).

I guess my other question, if I cross with a K3 instead of a CR1, I have to halt working for them until I have my EAD so it doesnt look bad at me on AOS, right?

Sarinha

2c61618b8b94d52d.gif

02-xx-10 -I-130 sent

xx-xx-10- I-130 NOA1

xx-xx-xx- I-130 NOA2

xx-xx-xx NVC Left:

- Total Days @ NVC xx

Consulate

xx-xx-xx Medical Date

Timeline

The company I will be working for doesnt require a SSN since they dont hire employee's. They will be hiring me as a 'contractor', and just pay me hourly, to work from home for them. Then its upto me to pay any applicable taxes (which I hope I can do it easily here in Canada, with a US company thats paying me).

I guess my other question, if I cross with a K3 instead of a CR1, I have to halt working for them until I have my EAD so it doesnt look bad at me on AOS, right?

If a US company hires a US 'contractor" then a SSN or some other tax ID number is required because the company will be required to send a 1099.....

Technically you would have to stop if you enter the US on the K-3 as you do not have immediate authorization

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

If a US company hires a US 'contractor" then a SSN or some other tax ID number is required because the company will be required to send a 1099.....

Technically you would have to stop if you enter the US on the K-3 as you do not have immediate authorization

Without a SS# I don't think this would work. To OP, check out W-9. That is the form that you will have to complete before they pay you.

Toyota has a US division and hires many in the US. They are not directly working for a Japanese company.

I worked in Scotland for a US company, but I had a Scottish (or UK - don't recall) work visa.

Timeline

w9? irs told me w7. whats the diff? :wacko:

Sarinha

2c61618b8b94d52d.gif

02-xx-10 -I-130 sent

xx-xx-10- I-130 NOA1

xx-xx-xx- I-130 NOA2

xx-xx-xx NVC Left:

- Total Days @ NVC xx

Consulate

xx-xx-xx Medical Date

W-7 is to apply for an ITIN number. ITIN's are used to file taxes (or to enroll in school) before you have SS#. I do not believe it gives work authorization.

W-9 is a request for a tax payer ID #, so that a 1099 (for contractors) can be completed.

Not to get off topic, but I hope that you have researched and this is a legitimate company, there are a LOT of "work-at-home" scams out there! Please be careful.

AOS

Date Filed: 2008-08-27

NOA Date: 2008-09-02

Bio. Appt.: 2008-09-18

AOS Transfer: 2008-09-22 to CSC; 2008-11-25 to local office

Approval/Denial Date: 2009-02-10 card production ordered

Greencard Received: 2009-02-20

Removal of Conditions

Date mailed: 2010-11-12

NOA Date: 2010-11-15

Approved: 2011-04-28 card production ordered

Received card: 2011-05-04

Timeline
Not to get off topic, but I hope that you have researched and this is a legitimate company, there are a LOT of "work-at-home" scams out there! Please be careful.

No kidding! But this one is ligit :)

Sarinha

2c61618b8b94d52d.gif

02-xx-10 -I-130 sent

xx-xx-10- I-130 NOA1

xx-xx-xx- I-130 NOA2

xx-xx-xx NVC Left:

- Total Days @ NVC xx

Consulate

xx-xx-xx Medical Date

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.